“[-]?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Page
Kelowna
“[-]?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

While I hate to be the one that rains on Lulu's Motel I must confess to a certain bafflement at the rave reviews this motel consistently receives. My wife and I stayed one night at Lulu's on a trip through the southwest and were in Page to photograph Antelope Canyon, from whence my first complaint arises. I had done a fair amount of research regarding both Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon prior to the trip but was keen to benefit from 'local expertise' in the form of Ron. His advice, to my surprise, varied significantly from everything I had read resulting in some moderate confusion. After some thought I decided to stick with my original plans and ignore the advice of Ron. As it turns out this was fortunate as his specific advice regarding Lower Antelope canyon was incorrect in almost every detail. A remarkable accomplishment for someone who lives there. I suspect, though cannot prove, that his advice is somewhat biased toward a specific tour company - enough said.
My second complaint regards the motel itself. These rooms are small - Asia small (if you've been there) Further, the road on which the motel is located is the major point of egress each morning for a large mobile home community - don't plan on sleeping in.
We didn't benefit from Ron's BBQ expertise but I don't think that this would compensate for a rather uninspiring stay where there is better for the same price. I can't recommend Lulu's. Sorry.

Sleep Quality
3 Thank davex25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

We booked a room at Lulu's because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor. The rooms are nice and clean, but nothing special. However, Lulu and Ron (owners) are very friendly and make you feel at home. Ron is really an amazing cook. You bring some meat and vegetables and he prepares it just the best. Bring him a beer and it will taste even better:-) The motel is great because it is really a different experience than you get at other places. If you stay in Page, stay here!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hooboox
Isle of Wight
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

We had no hesitation booking Lulu's because of reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. Lulu and her husband are extremely good hosts. When we arrived, Lulu furnished us with a map and details of places worth visiting. This was extremely useful and we followed her advice. She also gave us a supermarket card to shop for food for a barbeque. We were not sure we should do this, but when we asked about places to eat she seemed surprised we were not buying items for a barbeque so we went to the supermarket and bought rib eye steak at her recommendation which her husband cooked beautifully. We ate it at tables at the rear of the motel. The rooms in the motel are bright, nicely furnished and very clean. Lulu's is sited in the Old Quarter street of little motels and stood out as probably the best in the street. The only reason we have not given it excellent for location (as it is very central) is that there was a lot of traffic noise from about 5.00am onwards.

2 Thank Ratty09
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

We booked our stay here based on the rave reviews here on TA. When we arrived, Lulu's husband took a lot of time to tell us about all the sights, and provided us with some restaurant recommendations. He was very friendly and helpful.

The room was very basic. A queen bed, small TV, and a bathroom. No phone, no clock, no frills. The bathroom had a stall-type shower. It was fairly clean, but not immaculate. The floor could have used some extra scrubbing, IMO.

The bed was comfortable, and we enjoyed our stay in Page. Was a bit confused when we wanted to check out because the office said "closed" and there was no place for a key drop. Luckily, as we were loading our stuff into the car, we saw Lulu and were able to complete our checkout.

The owners are very friendly and helpful, so I would recommend this hotel based on that. If you don't mind a no frills kind of place, you won't be disappointed. If you're expecting a full-service Marriott-type property, I would suggest going elsewhere.

1 Thank MichelleAndChuck
Holland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

Stayed here one night during our honeymoon. Clean and nice rooms, very helpful and friendly owners. They show you where everything is, and if you play your cards right, somebody will BBQ for you!!

2 Thank Wulpie
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Not quite as good as I expected from the rave reveiws, but don't let that put you off. Lulu took the time to point out some highlights, and Horseshoe Bend I highly recommend. I was disappointed that the Antelope Canyon trip I had arranged previously via Lulu was cancelled (although she did book me another one for a couple of days later, on a not-so-convenient day). As we'd left our previous place early to get there on time for it, and arrived even earlier than expected (note: most of Arizona doesn't use daylight saving!) I would have liked to know this in advance, which would have saved us all some awkwardness. Instead, we went to Horseshoe Bend, and the Powell Museum, a little gem costing $5. Could also have visited the dam, but dashed to Safeway for a steak for the barby. Which we turned up an hour early for, because even the clock in Lulu's room was wrong! Again some embarrassment.
The room was pretty good (once we'd changed the clock) and the shower room seemed to be wheelchair friendly - except for the basin in the bedroom which was high and set back so that even I couldn't lean forward close enough to the mirror to put my make up on. The bed was very comfortable.
The steaks were cooked perfectly, you can tell Ron has done it a thousand times and he does it well. Try it.
The internet connection was very fast.
There was only one bedside light and table, although there was room for two. Bit of a pain at bedtime as my husband and I put the light out at different times.
Lulu wanted to be paid in cash, which she does point out in advance. You can apparently pay by credit card, for a small fee, but when I suggested it she said she'd prefer cash.

1 Thank kath99_8
Eden New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Lulu's is a must stay if visiting in Page, AZ. The motel rooms are spotless and cozy. Hospitality and home grilled meals are outstanding. Our experience here were a highlight of our trip. We got to mingle with people from all over the world during dinner.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple