“Dixie Ellis Lower Antelope Canyon Tour”

Ranked #2 of 56 things to do in Page
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed November 1, 2014

We had the most wonderful experience touring the Canyon, our guide Dominique John did an outstanding job to make this adventure one we will never forget, and we have photos to proof it!

5  Thank Karin C
Write a ReviewReviews (5,260)
All reviews
in 48 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed November 1, 2014

We did an Upper Canyon tour in the morning, had lunch in town, and drove back out to Lower Canyon in the afternoon. Unlike Upper Canyon, Lower Canyon tours don't have to be pre-booked -- you drive to the parking lot, choose one of the two tour operators (the proprietors of Red Rock Motel had recommended Ken's, so we went with them), and wait for the next group to go out. There are port-o-potties in the parking lot, and a couple of picnic tables to sit at while you wait, no other amenities.

My husband had done the photography tour at Upper (I did the regular), so we didn't bother to spring for another photography tour here. Which turned out to be a mistake, as the photography tour here is mainly at your own pace, and would've left us much more time to gawk at everything. I say 'us', because at least while we were there, Ken's wasn't strict about requiring tripod for photography tour -- they let one guy from our group pay extra to tag along with his photographer wife.

In spite of the crowds at Upper (which we expected), I still felt it was a spiritual experience. But for me, Lower was even better. Less crowded, but also with interesting elevation changes and small ladders and unexpected twists and turns. Upper is still the top place for photography -- because the canyon is narrow at the top and wider at the bottom, you get the interesting light plays and shafts of light. Both were really dramatic to walk through, but we found Lower to be the more dramatic experience. We were glad to have done them both, and in the order that we did them.

I'm inclined to say these are places that every American should see -- except that they're already so crowded, that I don't want to encourage more people!

5  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed October 31, 2014 via mobile

We hed a tour with Armondo T, it was only him and the two uf us down in tha canyon!! He explained everything and helped us to get some good shots! We made some of the greatest pictures ever, the colors down in the canyon are so beautiful! The tour lenght was about 1,5 hours at least. You can do anything by walking, no cars or something down there!

5  Thank oli1737281
Reviewed October 30, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful experience. The pictures were took are Amazing. Hard to believe the canyon is even there. Do the lower antelope over the upper. Upper is much busier and the lower is underground with light on the canyon walls. Totally a must do. Yes, it is expensive but worth every penny! Highly highly recommend. So happy we made the trip from Flagstaff!

1  Thank Kristina L
See more reviews
Reviewed October 30, 2014

My cousin and I enjoyed an amazing photography tour. 2 1/2 hours for $50. I would recommend to anybody interested. Just don't expect to have solitude or peace and quite. I would pay a lot more to have some solitude in the canyon. Many of my pictures were amazing. However, since I used a 10-18 wide angle lens I also had more shots than I care to admit with peoples blurry heads because they walk in mid exposure.
The guide was especially helpful to my cousin who had less experience taking pictures. Because of his help many of her images turned out better than mine.

2  Thank Mike P

Been to Lower Antelope Canyon? Share your experiences!