Ways to Experience Upper Antelope Canyon
from $209.99
from $458.99
from $218.60
1,643 results
All reviews our tour guide antelope canyon light beams take pictures chief tsosie bucket list prime time navajo tours camera settings sun rays open truck make reservations bumpy ride pickup truck at noon mid day around noon
Reviewed February 24, 2016

We went with Antelope Canyon Tours and left from an in town location. The tour guide was great with lots of helpful hints for pictures.

2  Thank Stacy S
Reviewed February 22, 2016

First off, I visited in the morning (around 9am) in December 2015 and my review is based on the lighting during that time in the canyon.
PROS:
- it's beautiful!
- easier walk-through than the Lower Antelope Canyon

CONS:
- it was quite dark in there so only professional cameras can capture nice photos. It's much brighter inside the Lower Antelope Canyon
- depending on how the sunlight comes in the crack, you may or may not see the "orange" tone of the stones. I didn't see much of the orange stone, I saw mostly gray because it was too dark. Much easier to catch the beautiful colours on the stone at Lower Antelope Canyon
- one way in, same way out. It's basically a 2-way traffic so getting photos is hard and you don't get much time to enjoy the scenery. The Lower Antelope Canyon is a 1-way traffic so it's a bit better.

Tips!
- wear a face mask to minimize breathing in the tiny red dust
- wear good shoes (it's all sand)
- if you're a photographer or don't have a great camera, don't bother taking too many pictures! Just enjoy the moment :)

32  Thank jennfuurs
Reviewed February 21, 2016

It’s dark, cramped, crowded, expensive to visit, and wildly over-photographed by professionals and amateurs alike. So, why bother going to Upper Antelope Canyon, enduring the crush, and adding to the over-flowing of glowing slot canyon images (gorgeous and not)? Is it too facile to say, “Because it is there?” Probably. After all, Disney World is ‘there’ and I have no desire to go … there. No, rather, for the lover of natural beauty, the outdoors, all things desert, AND for a photographer, sublime images may be had and, special bonus: they are yours.

First, whether a pro or nay, if you want to be able to photograph the canyon at a less than a herd pace and capture images that can be processed to full advantage, you need to use a tripod. That means you must sign up for the Photography Tour. In fact, I recommend it. Non photography tour members can take neither a tripod nor a backpack. As a member of the ‘elite’ and more importantly, much smaller Photography Tour, you must take a tripod (and SLR) and you may take your backpack (though I recommend foregoing it if you can, as it will likely just get in your way). The photography tour (as offered by Antelope Canyon Navajo Tours) costs twice as much ($80) but it is worth the cost, especially if you get a good guide. Our guide was named Leon and he was good. He parted the waves of humanity in-canyon, held them up for us when we were shooting or in the tight narrows, and pointed out structures and potential shots that we likely would have found ourselves — given enough time and much less people.

Due to the reflected light colors and canyon wall structures this Upper section of Antelope Canyon has a much different personality than the Lower section. I recommend doing both, though not on the same day.

Yes, it would be great to have this canyon to yourself, but that's not possible. Pay the extra for a photography tour, go off-season, and you will have the next best thing. Plus, a lot of gorgeous photographs...hopefully!

13  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed February 19, 2016

If it weren;t for having to bump into people left and right, I would give it 5 stars. Thank God for Bonnie, the tour guide ...because she was the better of them all. She offered photo tips, to take photos, and pointed out unique formations in the sandstone. Further, she is a native to the Navajo of that area, told me stories, etc. The canyon is worth the tour cost AND although it is recommended to visit in April for better natural lighting, I did so in October and do not regret it because the obscurity was special...interesting shadow...and what could be seen of the sandstone was remarkable. One of the bets travel decisions I've ever made !!!!!

4  Thank Nicholas H
Reviewed February 18, 2016

I was here 10 years ago and it was rushed and crowded. Now it is even worse. NO don't get me wrong: It is soo beautiful that I still recoimmend going, just expect to be rushed, unable to take pictures without other people in the shot. And, although I am sure the guides know the best places and angles for a picture I got told we do not have time anytime I wanted to take a picture without the guides say so. I would give it one sar if it was not so beautiful inspite of the rush and crowds.