“Go to lower antelope canyon!”

Upper Antelope Canyon
Ranked #9 of 42 Tours in Page
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Go to lower antelope canyon!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I visited both upper and lower antelope canyons in September 2013 (both in the afternoon), and my experience in the lower canyon was far superior to that in the upper canyon. Even though I paid extra to go on the "photographic tour", I still felt rushed and like I was being herded through the canyon like cattle. There are far too many tours and far too many people being taken into the canyon at once, and my impression (from other reviewers and my own experience) is that it is largely a money generator for the reservation. Our guide did take time to help us adjust our cameras and point out particularly nice shots, but he also frequently pointed out rock formations that looked like things - the fish Nemo, an elephant, presidents, Elvis, etc - which almost cheapened the experience. I was there to appreciate the beauty of this marvel of nature, and it felt more like a carnival show. Whereas lower antelope canyon was quiet and serene, this canyon was full of talking guides and tourists. The only reason I would recommend this canyon is if you are physically unable to climb into the lower canyon. If I were to do it again, I would save my money and only visit lower antelope canyon.

4 Thank Katie G

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“a bit dissapointed”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

this was to be one of the highlights of our trip but note that this attraction is weather permitting.
It had been seriouslsy raining and flashfloods in the days upcoming to our visit made us wonder if it was worth the while and the 80plus dollars. Arriving at the navajo land entrance we asked if the tours were still going on or whether the attraction would be closed due to the flooding risk? The women just said yes yes so we paid the 12 dollars to get in. only to wait for at least an hour and find out that should we get on the truck, there would be no refund of our money should the truck decide to turn back for safety issues. Half of the trucks decided not to go. So we turned back aswell, (glad we did as when we left there was a HUGE storm starting).
so best is to visit this area april-june. before the monsoon period we were told.

1 Thank Danielle T
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
“awesome pictures”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

A wonder of nature!! I went there with Adventurous Antelope Canyon PhotoTours (Carol Bigthumb) (928) 380-1874 Nate, the tour guide, was very professional, easy going and pro that I was able to take the most impressive pictures there. Dont forget your camera!!

Seattle, Washington
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Breathtaking”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Well worth going to see this slot canyon. Easy walk for any age and my eyes were feasting on the colors and curves so I did not even notice the crowds.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank NJLovestoTravel
New River, AZ
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Magnificent but jammed”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The best times to go are in the summer months, but those are the same times that the canyon is just jammed with visitors. It is a marvelous place and worth the crowd scene. If possible arrange to be part of a photo tour. Make sure you have a DSLR camera and a tripod for that.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank progprac

Been to Upper Antelope Canyon? Share your experiences!