“Loved it!”

Ranked #23 of 49 Outdoor Activities in Page
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed June 21, 2015

One of the best things we've done on this week long trip to Arizona and Utah. Absolutely stunning slot canyon! Everyone we met with Navajo tours was friendly, up-beat and helpful. Our tour guide, Sherry, was excellent. She helped us all adjust our cameras and phones to get the best possible pictures. I was impressed with her command of languages-she was able to address most members of our group in their native language, and we were a diverse group. As far as I could tell, everyone had a great time. I recommend highly.

3  Thank dpez48
in 7 reviews
"cell phone"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed June 17, 2015

I have known of Antelope Canyon for years but have never been in the area before. So when we saw the sign as we headed out of Page towards Monument Valley, we decided to stop for a visit.

We paid $8 per head to pass the barrier into the parking lot where we parked up and waited in A/C comfort for the appointed time. To our chagrin, we discovered the cost to actually ride in a pickup and enter the canyon would cost another $40 apiece. Watching the comings and goings in the lot, it was evident that there would be hundreds of people in the canyon at the same time. We then decided to forgo the experience.

Having read some of the other reviews, I feel we made the correct choice under the circumstances. Your mileage may vary with this vendor, but I dislike feeling that I've been deceived.

5  Thank markls3
Reviewed June 12, 2015

We visited Antelope Canyon via Navajo Tours. The registration desk people were rude, short with their response to questions, indifferent to your concerns and requests, and obviously in charge of a monopoly. We had a "private photo tour at $80 per person - but only for individuals with a tripod- "You must have a tripod and single reflex camera and NO TAG ALONGS" you can not have a disabled partner whom you are concerned about (she has to have a SINGLE REFLEX CAMERA & TRIPOD) or take another group tour. Come to find out the "private tours" are a group tour and not a tour guide and you but a group of PEOPLE WITH TRIPODS AND SINGLE REFLEX cameras. A ripe off at $80 per person WITH A TRIPOD AND SINGLE REFLEX CAMER!!!!!!!
The guide for the group tour, Charles was just fine and helpful through out thus a $20 tip because he really helped everyone and me with cameras, exposures, and most everything. Don't waste your money on what they call a private photo tour since all the tours are jumbled together all at the same time.
THEY NEED TO LEARN CUSTOMER SERVICE.....but when you have a monopoly, #$%& the customer for all they are worth.

1  Thank patandscotth0103
Reviewed June 6, 2015

Antelope Canyon is a magnificent natural wonder ruined by the mismanagement, incompetence and greed of the Navajo Nation and Antelope Canyon Navajo Tours. Those considering a visit would be well advised to spend their money elsewhere visiting lesser known slot canyons and natural wonders than wasting time and money on what has sadly been turned into a rip-off, tourist trap. Make no mistake that Antelope Canyon itself is beautiful and special but even the best wonders of the world can be ruined when improperly managed for short-term, monetary gain and greed. Such is the current situation with Antelope Canyon.

The rip-off begins when entering the parking area to Antelope Canyon. All the tour companies leave for Antelope Canyon from the same parking area and head a couple of miles through the desert to reach the actual canyon but each visitor is charged an $8.00 fee simply to park in a dirt parking lot in the middle of nowhere. The Navajo Nation claims the fee is to enter their land; in fact it is nothing more than a sneaky way to extort tourists for a few extra dollars.

We were told to arrive 1 hour prior to our scheduled photography tour, which we did. Upon arrival, you learn that you'll be standing in the scorching Arizona sun for an hour because there is no shade aside from the shoddy shacks that the various tour companies operate from; there is simply no where to get out of the sun. Once we arrived, we were required to submit to an "equipment check". Apparently, our equipment had to be deemed worthy of the "photography tour." My equipment passed muster with the rude, Nazi-like dictator checking equipment. My girl friend's equipment (yeah, those of reading can laugh at my choice of words here) did not because she did not have a tripod. "Can't do the photography tour without a tripod" we were sternly told. "It's on the email we sent and on our website" she said as we were scolded like school children who didn't do their homework. To be clear: It is neither on their website or in the confirmation email I got. So, it was a mad dash back to the Wal-Mart in Page, Az. to purchase a cheap tripod. Frankly, my girl friend didn't care about a tripod; she simply wanted to see the canyon with me, help me a bit as I photographed it and "experience a harmony you've never felt before" according to Antelope Canyon Navajo Tours website.

The harmony you've never experienced before begins when you climb into the bed of a pick up truck on the way from the parking area to the canyon itself. This is the only place in America where people are allowed to ride in the open bed of a pick up truck. I have traveled the back roads of Africa, Nepal and South America and I've never seen such unsafe and dangerous conditions. The "road" (if you call ruts in the soft sand a road) is so uneven it would be easy to flip one of the trucks and with no seat belts or protection that is all it is going to take to hurt or kill someone, especially at the unsafe speed the drivers use in getting to and from the canyon.

Once inside the canyon, you finally get to see what draws people - the light streaming in from the top of the canyon creates beautiful patterns and warm, soft colors from the reflection. Nonetheless, you are quickly reminded that this has turned into little more than a human zoo. The various tour groups cram literally hundreds of people into the canyon at once. Keep in mind this is a slot canyon not the Grand Canyon. In places it is no wider than a couple of feet and no where is it wider than a few dozen feet. To make matters worse, tour guides and tourists throw sand and dirt everywhere trying to create patterns in the light (ghosts) like you've probably seen photographed. The problem with this is that the small "rooms" within the canyon become thick with dust and dust coats the colorful walls muting the naturally vibrant colors of the sandstone walls. Not to mention, good photography is hardly made with dirt being thrown on your camera lens.

The photography tour itself is a rip-off topped upon a rip-off. What the extra money buys you is a bit extra time in the canyon but that extra time isn't worth it because you are yelled at and scolded by the tour operator (in our case "Jake") when you try to take pictures of something they don't deem worthy or at a time they don't want you taking pictures. Countless times we all heard "no pictures" or "we're not taking pictures". Really? I thought it was a photography tour.

To add insult to injury, the guide knew virtually nothing about photography. This was evident when he told us before entering the canyon not to be checking the back of our cameras. This would be the equivalent of telling a surgeon not to look at what he was operating on or telling a driver not to look at the road ahead. Any experienced photographer knows that you check your camera's histogram and other data to insure a proper exposure particularly somewhere like a slot canyon with a high contrast subject.

We had 18 people on a our photography tour. This was simply too many. There were many times you couldn't get any kind of shot because others had dashed ahead and taken the prime shooting shots, leaving others to peak around a rock or bend to get a look at the light. Forget trying to set up a tripod or even make a picture that doesn't include heads, tripods and tour operators slinging dirt and sand in the air. To compensate, our tour operator tried to rotate people in an out of the prime shooting spots. However, he was so disorganized and scattered brained this never effectively happened. Moreover, the canyon was simply not big enough to accommodate 18 people on a photography tour. You simply can't get 2 cups of water in a 1 cup glass but that is exactly what Antelope Canyon Navajo Tours did in order to maximize profits.

Perhaps most troubling about the photography aspect of the tour is that it was so canned and formulaic. You simply had no time to compose an interesting shot. It was all about speed. Navajo Tours would hold back the masses a few seconds (I literally mean seconds), throw dirt in the air and then let photographers click away and try to make the same image that has been made 1000s of time already. There was simply no time for creativity with composition.

At the end of the tour Jake made his way around to beg for tips. And that is what Antelope Canyon has become - a natural wonder exploited for money and greed. The Navajo Nation and the various tour operators cram as many people into the canyon as possible in order to make as much money as possible. The "harmony you've never felt before" is lost to the almighty dollar and greed and exploitation of those who run the canyon. I'm fine with the Navajo Nation making money. But Antelope Canyon goes far beyond making money and has turned into simple exploitation at the expense of the experience. Shame on the Navajo Nation for allowing this to happen. Shame on Antelope Canyon Navajo Tours for their false advertising, lies and downright rude customer service.

The good news is that there are many other things in the area to see and do. Horseshoe bend is free and access is easy to visitors. There are other slot canyons in the area that you can visit with tour operators that aren't jammed and crammed full of people. If I were to return to Page, this is how I would spend my time.

17  Thank adventurel0ver