“Loved It!”

Sentinel Rock Horseback Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore this exclusive Southwest area on Horseback! We offer the best, unique and private horseback rides tailored to your riding experience (beginner through advanced) with our friendly, experienced guides and gentle, fun, well trained (and beautiful) horses. 2Hr, 2.5 Hr, and half day options are available year round (full day rides - weather permitting) exploring the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument close to Lake Powell. Instruction is also provided at the ranch. We want everyone to have a great time and have the ride of their life!
Barrington, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Loved It!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My teenage daughter and I recently rode with Sara and Mike. My daughter is a very experienced rider and had the time of her life galloping through the canyon with Sara. I have no riding experience, but they paired me with a wonderful horse, gave me a few tips and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sara and Mike were wonderful people and we really enjoyed our time with them. This is not a cookie-cutter trail ride company. These people love their horses and will create a custom adventure for you and your family.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank 21Lisa21
Sara W, Manager at Sentinel Rock Horseback Adventures, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks for your review. We love that you could both go at the speed you were comfortable with and that you enjoyed your ride!

Orange County, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful time!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Our family of four had a wondeful time during our two hour ride with Sarah and Mike. Our teenage boys were given the opportunity to ride their desired speed and had a blast. The horses were great.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank LotsAFun888
SentinelRockHorses, Owner at Sentinel Rock Horseback Adventures, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
We wanted to thank you for posting your review. So nice to hear both and your children enjoyed the ride. Happy trails ....
Ermelo, Gelderland, Netherlands
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Personal and enjoyable- wish the ride lasted longer”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

In september we went for a half day ride with 4 people- 3 of which have horse riding background, 1 unexperienced rider. (however for all us a long time since)

Sara and Mike made great matches with their horses and us! I got to ride feisty Tom, full of live- and a love for racing. There's no thing like a full canter/galop, wind in your hairs and wide views (all though this was the littlest part of our ride)! Great match with Bandito for our beginner, who started out a bit cramped and ended up smiling relaxed and chilling on the ride :-)

We started out in the paddock with personal instructions and the safety of a pen to get used to our horses and their commands one by one. Perfect for the beginner, and great for me to get a bit of the feeling back. Than off for wide views- coyotes- antelopes- a little drop down hill- a stroll trough the canyon in Grand Staircase Escalante NP.

I very much enjoyed the personal attention to their horses and to the customers needs. I would definetly go back and do it again. Thanks Sara and Mike!

Visited September 2012
Thank you for taking time to review your ride with us. We appreciate it! Happy trails ....
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Best riding experience I've had”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have some experience with horseback riding, but before coming here i've had some pretty scary experiences. This ride however changed that for the better; Sara and Mike are very friendly and Sara started out by explaining some basics of how to ride, making me feel how the horse will respond and how i can feel confident on the back of the horse. I learned more from her in those first 20 minutes than i have learned in the past couple of years! Clear instructions that make sense, making you feel connected to the horse.

Then the ranch; beautiful stables, clean and safe looking with lots of shelter and fresh water, all the horses are in great condition and are well-trained and well-behaved (especially Bandito who i was riding, what a great horse!). Based on the confidence and experience of the riders, you head off into the spectacular landscape in and around the Escalante Grand Staircase. You feel like you are the only person on the planet: beautiful views, wildlife, cliffs, canyons, everything you want to see while feeling like a genuine cowboy. Trotting and cantering was also great, i could feel the unstoppable urge to smile whenever we would try something that my previous experience had ruined for me.

All in all, a great place to go riding; Sara and Mike cater to the experience and wishes of the riders, both young and old, experienced and inexperienced can have a great half day or day ride here. What also adds to the experience is the fact that the horses are well behaved and that Sara knows so much about riding and interacting with horses. My wife who is quite experienced compared to me learned quite a bit from her and so did I.

After the ride you get a real feel for how well these horses are treated; saddles are taken off immediately, they get a nice shower and a rubdown and some treats, before they can walk freely in their enclosure. I would definitely go back if i were in the area (which my wife actually did, twice!)...

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Lennart A
We love meeting this kind of rider/guest - someone who has maybe had a scary experience with horses but wants to try again. With a little time/instruction, we aim to provide tools/confidence/control helped by a great horse. We get immense pleasure from seeing people have what we call "a-ha" moments and wanting to ride again in the future. It was awesome to see that smile when you loped/cantered Bandito! Hope to see you again!
the Netherlands
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“If you love horses, this is the only place to go”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

It's obvious from the start that Sara and Mike love their horses and that their horses love them back! I was hooked from the moment I read that they practice natural horsemanship. They asked about our abilities and comfort level and chose the horses they thought would be the best fit. After a brief orientation in the pen, we headed out into the wonderful Escalante landscape for our private half-day ride. I loved them so much I went back 2 days later for a full day ride.

I try to go on a horseback ride wherever I visit, and this ride was far from ordinary. With 2 guides my husband and I were given the freedom to ride at our comfort level - neither of us felt that we either had to push beyond our ability or hold back for the other. Never have I had such a wonderful, educational, fun and challenging ride. Sara is exceptionally gifted at teaching and very generous with her knowledge - I couldn't stop asking questions and she was always happy to answer. Mike took plenty of pictures of and for us, which they emailed us after the ride at no additional charge. It's great to have so many shots of such happy memories.

And while the landscape is awe inspiring, for me the horses were the real stars of the ride. So incredibly affectionate - I've never seen so much affection shared back and forth between horse and human. It was a heartwarming experience and one I'll never forget. Kimba and Bandito were incredibly gentle and responsive. It was clear they were listening to us and trying to give us a great ride just as much as Mike as Sara.

It's a short ride from Kanab, so if you're visiting Best Friends or just in the area and you love horses, this is the place to go. The area is gorgeous, you are given as much freedom or support as you want during the ride, Mike and Sara are knowledgeable, super friendly and treat their horses like royalty, which is, in my humble opinion, exactly how they should be treated! What else could you possibly be looking for? This is how horseback rides were meant to be!

Visited October 2012
Thank you for such a detailed review! We loved sharing our area and horses with you, and glad you had such a great time. Hope we see you again soon ....