Vermilion Cliffs Day Tours
Book In Advance
Tours from Vermilion Cliffs Day Tours tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Vermilion Cliffs Day Tours
All reviews white pocket day trip guide photos wonders
Reviewed August 26, 2018

We discovered Vermilon Cliffs in May this year and got the chance to be accompanied on the White Pocket trail by Bruce from Circle Tours, an oustanding guide and nature lover. We have spent all day in this fabulous place, learning a lot. Many thanks again Bruce for your committment, patience and sense of experience sharing. It was a real pleasure to meet you.

1  Thank chamrousse382015
Reviewed June 6, 2018

The entire experience working with this company was super great - from ease of booking, clear directions on meeting place, and a custom hike that blew us all away (5 adults). Kyle made the experience so enjoyable - we only wish we had planned this earlier in our vacation so we could have booked all of our hikes with him. Thank you Kyle for giving us a memorable and breathtaking day.

1  Thank Karen P
Reviewed May 15, 2018

I had a great time on our guided Buckskin Gulch Middle Route photo tour. Our guide, Gary, is very knowledgeable photographer, and was able to give me tips on how to get good photos of the slot canyon. I must admit, the Middle Route was a bit challenging for me. The drop into the gulch can be scary and intimidating for a novice (I've been on the Yosemite Half Dome hike, with cables down, but it doesn't compare to this). There's no way I could have done this hike without an experienced guide. My friend and I went on to the Grand Canyon and Sedona, and I must say the Middle Route Buckskin Gulch hike was the highlight of the trip. Oh, tips... The drop into the canyon is not trivial. Do not attempt if you are afraid of heights, or need to have a "regular" trail. If you are an experienced canyoneer, or have no fear "scrambling" along cliffs with "exposure", then no problem. I hope to come back someday and go on some of the other Vermilion Cliffs Day Tour guided hikes.

1  Thank Richard O
Reviewed April 18, 2018

The Wave was one of the most wonderful things we have ever seen. My wife and I have been lucky enough to see many of the worlds wonders and believe the Wave should be included in that list

3  Thank rickmoscow
Kyle W, Owner at Vermilion Cliffs Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2018

Thank you for your great insight on the wave.

Reviewed October 2, 2017

Having done the trip with Bruce as our guide down those tracks I am so glad we did not think about going solo. You need experience to negotiate those tracks and know where you are going. White pocket is awesome at every turn and Bruce knew exactly where to take us. Sadly sunset came a bit too quickly and it was not a good one, however it was a wonderful experience and we have some incredible photos to remind us. Thanks

2  Thank Matureadventurer60
kyle w, Manager at Vermilion Cliffs Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2017

Thank you for coming out with us and hope to see you again for another destination

Reviewed September 20, 2017

Our guide Bruce was very knowledgeable about everything coming and going. Great place for pictures. We couldn't have had a better time.

Reviewed August 20, 2017

Absolutely an amazing place to visit for photography. Our tour guide was superb. He knew his way around the area and where a lot of the best locations were. He patiently waited while we set up our shots. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Tony A
Reviewed April 25, 2017 via mobile

Kyle, my guide, was absolutely amazing! He took me to Buckskin Gulch where we spent the whole day. He showed me all the good photo spots, gave me advice on photography and offered to take see tal pictures of me in the landscape. There is no doubt you will have a great guide for your tour with these people! Kyle knew so much about the area and its formation which I totally would have misser had I dine this on my own. I had an awesome experience and would definitely book a tour here again next time I'm in the area. Originally I had booked a tour for The Waves but they were flexible to take me for this other tourwhen it turned out I didn't get a permit for that area.

1  Thank Maria H
Reviewed February 2, 2017

If you want to see the Kanab area the right way, this company is the way to go. I have traveled with them before, but this time I was lucky to get a permit for the Wave hike, and this was a very memorable experience. Kyle is a great guide, plus the weather was just perfect that day. Thank you very much!

2  Thank madub1961
Reviewed January 27, 2017

I knew I’d be in Kanab around the 10th-13th of January 2017. I had no idea that the weather would be more rainy than usual, so my original trip with a different company was cancelled once due to weather and then the replacement due to a customer cancellation (for the record, I’d have been fine with paying double to go out myself but that option was not offered).
Fortunately, the folks at Vermilion Cliffs Day Tours responded to my desperate call for a tour at the last minute, got me a coveted lottery-drawn permit to get into the South Coyote Buttes (only 20 per day given) and promptly picked me up at my motel at 9:00 am on Friday 13th. What an awesome piece of luck! It was just me and another photo enthusiast with Ron, our cooler than cool tour guide. Ron showed up wearing shorts (he swears no pants unless it’s REALLY cold) and a huge smile.
He was a great tour guide, in my opinion. He chatted just enough about the location and gave some historical/geological facts as we passed through various areas, and answered my questions, but didn’t feel that he had to constantly entertain us with touristy details.
We drove to South Coyote Buttes first. It was weird seeing snow on the ground near cactuses but that’s the high desert for you. We had to detour several miles due to the large amount of water rushing through the Buckskin Gulch (impassable that morning for sure). The high-clearance 4WD truck heaved and hawed through muddy wet sand and slippery rocks for miles and miles: Ron drove like it was no big deal but I would have been stuck for sure (and he did have stories about tourists not wanting to pay the small tour fee and trying to get into the SCB themselves and being stranded, and then paying 5 X more to get towed than the tour fee…).
This is not a trip for sedentary people or those who have mobility issues, sorry. My Fitbit told me that at the end of the day, I had walked more than 17,000 steps and 132 flights of stairs. The first major stop was a teaser for what was to come – Ron said we had ~30 minutes to wander around, he stayed at the truck. The next one was the bulk of the day – it took almost an hour to climb from where the truck was to the top of the cliffs. It was worth it, though. The scenery, the colors, the solitude and the NO NOISE was spectacular. And the sun was out and the skies crystal clear blue.
We took a long circuitous route back to the truck (Ron kept the sun at our backs for as long as he could) and then he proceeded to head to White Pocket, which was a bonus. Great photo opportunities there as well, and time to wander by ourselves.
The last bit of excitement was when we were heading out back toward “home” and we had to cross a very scary looking fast moving river (a tail end of the Buckskin Gulch, I think). Ron powered the truck through it and there was a moment when I thought we’d be swept downstream but he kept it going and we made it to shore (I’m sure he knew we’d be fine, but it was a nice dramatic moment).
All in all it was a 9 hour adventure, worth way more than every penny I spent, and I can’t say enough about Ron and the folks at Vermilion Cliffs Day Tours for putting this together and giving me a day that I’ll remember for years.

3  Thank Janet N
kyle w, Manager at Vermilion Cliffs Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2017

Janet, it sounds like quite an adventure you had! Winter in the desert can be many different things and we are so glad you came out and visited our area. Hopefully you have some nice images from your journey. Thank you so much for your flexibility.