“More than we expected!”

427 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 735 helpful votes
“More than we expected!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We toured Upper Antelope Canyon several years ago and really enjoyed it - even when the guide's vehicle got stuck in the sand. We wanted to tour the Lower Canyon as well, but it was the middle of monsoon, and the canyon had flooded the night before we got there - always a risk, especially at this time of year. The difference in the two canyon sections is that the Upper Canyon is a relatively wide walk-in, while the Lower Canyon is a narrower climb-in via a series of steps/ladders.
This time, we made a point of returning, and managed to arrive when the Lower Canyon was dry. Our guide from Ken's was Victor. His commentary was interesting and he took care to assure that everyone had a good time. He was excellent at pointing out the various features, rock patterns and colorations, and at explaining them. Antelope Canyon is a beautiful place, and we diddn't miss a thing.
What made his tour particularly good was his ability to not only point out the best photo ops, but to assist with tips for getting the best pictures. He seemed to be familiar with every camera in the group, and even casually clicked off shots that the tourists struggled with.
Another special touch came from the guide whose tour was immediately behind ours. He played a Navajo flute at several points. The music was beautiful, and it was enhanced by the canyon's acoustics.
The ladder/stairs may be a problem for some, but my wife had no problems despite her dual knee replacements. The climb out at the end of the tour, and the 1/4-mile walk back to the parking area are a good aerobic and cardio workout, so either come fit, or go slowly!

Visited September 2012
5 Thank HowlnBubba

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Lower Antelope Canyon is the place to go”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

No doubt that the lower antelope canyon is wayyy more beautiful than the upper. It requires you to walk down some steep steps, but if you are able body, you will not regret the extra effort. You will get amazing pictures and memories that will last a lifetime.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank Honeymoon201107
Schertz, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“impressive + beautiful”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We opted to only tour the lower antelope canyon so I can't say if it's better (or not) than the upper antelope canyon tour. However, even after seeing so many photos of the antelope canyons before our trip, we were still greatly impressed by the sights and magnitude of the place. There are many stair to climb down (and eventually, up) on. In our opinion, despite all the steps, it's not really difficult for an average person -- our 11 y/o, who is mildly afraid of steep stairs and heights, did just fine. You most definitely need to be able to descend down stairs (like metal ladders), and go back many steps up -- there is no other way around it.

We did the first morning tour (in a group of about 25-30people, I believe), and we were at the gate before 8:30a, but the gate opened a little late -- not a huge problem. The tour was about 1 hour, but it went by fairly quickly. Our tour guide (who was also the clerk up front) was very nice, and also offered photo tips, and also volunteered to take photos of us in two areas of the canyon. I positioned myself at the end of the tour line, and I was able to capture many photos (from behind) of a seemingly empty canyon. We didn't see the first tour group in front of us, however, the next tour group behind us did catch up to use towards the end of the tour. Still, I felt that the tours were acceptably spaced out.

And, no bathroom in the canyon, but there are porta-johns outside by the (dirt) parking area. They offer a photographers pass (for free), however, there are certain rules that must be met (slr camera...etc), including having a tripod, which I did not carry with me. Maybe something to keep in mind if it's something you'd like to consider. Overall, it was most definitely worth the money and time. The sight to be seen in the canyon is really beautiful. Great experience!

Visited July 2012
4 Thank emleigha
Saint Leonard, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Lower Antelope Canyon”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

More of a challenge than the popular (and much more crowded) other Antelope Canyon, this is the better bet for serious photographers. We began our tour at 3 pm, and found the sun angle perfect, resulting in dramatic shots. Even with half the canyon flooded out, we got our money's worth. Our guide was excellent; patient and helpful without being overbearing.

Visited July 2012
5 Thank Peggy R
Fontana, California
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“LOWER ANTELOPE CANYON”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Of the two Antelope Canyons, this is a much tougher trip. You start by squeezing in a little slot(this is why it is called a slot canyon) and desend into the canyon. The trip is long and not for the average person as you will probably desend at least 100 feet from where you started. But, that being said, this was the most incredible adventure I have ever taken. The Native American guide insisted that I get a photo pass ( did not cost extra) so that I could stay down there the entire 2 hours. With my tripod, I was left alone to take all of the pictures my little heart desired, and did just that! I took over 350 pictures and only a few did I edit. I plan to return at a different time of day to catch the sun's rays at different angles. This is a must trip for everyone!

Visited March 2012