“Fabulous Canyon Photo Adventure”
Review of Overland Canyon Tours - CLOSED

Overland Canyon Tours
St. Louis
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fabulous Canyon Photo Adventure”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

We just got back from a trip to Arizona, where one of the real highlights was the "Canyon X Photo Tour" with Charlie from Overland Canyon Tours. We had a great time, and it was quite the adventure!

First - I will warn you that the Canyon X Photo Tour is expensive, but we splurged and we thought it was worth it. Most canyon tours in Page (Antelope Canyon in particular) tend to be crowded because they are so popular. The trips to Canyon X are a completely different experience. The canyon is on private Navajo land and they only allow 6 people to visit each day. So the tour size is limited to 6 people, but we got lucky and had the tour (and the canyon) all to ourselves.

One of the first things you will notice about the place is the silence. With the exception of an occasional raven sweeping overhead, you hear absolutely nothing. Our tour guide, Charlie, says he always asks his visitors to spend a few minutes not talking, but simply appreciating the silence. Which proves to be hard for those of us who are used to the constant sounds of "civilization"!

The canyon is not as pretty as Antelope Canyon but still offers a lot of very striking photo opportunities. Having all the time we want, and having complete private access to the canyon, allowed time for creative photography. We did this tour, and the Antelope Canyon tour the next day, and I am so very glad we did BOTH.

Charlie is a great tour guide and an interesting fellow. He's originally from Germany (he joked that the was from the West Berlin chaper of the Navajo Nation) and looks like an old hippie. So he definitely has some stories to tell, if he's in the mood to share. He's also very helpful. He loaned my husband a nice tripod, and even let us keep it for an extra day to take on another tour with another company.

I will warn you that this is not a physically easy hike if you (like me) are middle-aged, overweight, and out of shape, or you're not used to the 7000-ft elevation. Unlike Antelope Canyon, which is completely flat and where you can drive right up to the entrance, this one requires some hiking. It's not a long walk, but requires climbing down a fairly steep canyon wall / sand dune before entering the canyon. The canyon itself is flat and is no problem. But then on the way out, you have to climb back up the steep hill to get out. It's not a long climb - my husband guessed the vertical climb was maybe a little over 100 feet. But by the time we left, I was already tired, so the uphill trip was a real challenge for me. Poor Charlie had to pretty huch haul me up the hill. I was emabarassed but he said it didn't bother him - he said it wasn't the first time it had happened, and wouldn't be the last!

If I had known how hard it would be, I might have chickened out, so I'm glad I didn't know what I was getting into. It was a great adventure and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I highly recommend it, and highly recommend Overland Canyon tours.

4 Thank Donna_MO

Athens, Ohio
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Loved our tour of Antelpe Canyon”
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Other tour companies had huge groups in the canyon and our tour was small with Overland. They don't take lots of vehicles at once like one of the more popular tour companies. Our guide was so helpful. He pointed out every place in the tour to take a picture that is of poster quality. He also brought his shovel along and would throw sand in the air to catch the light beams at noon so we could take pictures. He was so helpful. I loved the canyon and the 11am tour was the perfect time because it was right before the rush but we also caught the noon light beams at the end of our time when it got packed from other tour companies. Whatever you do, don't just show up at Antelope Canyon and pay to go with the Native American tribe because that is the same price and you don't get as personalized of a tour.

3 Thank christy1030
Rugby, United Kingdom
192 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 284 helpful votes
“An excellent tour option”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Reading some of the reviews on here made me worried that the Canyon would resemble a zoo - nothing could be further from the truth.

There are regular tours from the centre of Page - all close to Safeway - and all at a decent price. I went on the 12:!5 tour with Overland Tours, and the whole experience was excellent.

I chose this tour purely as I'd arrived in Page 30 mins earlier, and it was so easy to book and join the tour - there were 5 of us on the tour. Although this is one of the non-Navajo-operated tours, I don't think this detracted too much from the experience (although I've had some excellent Navajo tours in Monument Valley etc).

The tour guide was excellent - we weren't rushed. and she took her own digital camera, and then showed us the shots as she took them of the more difficult to spot images in the rocks - that made a real difference, as often you couldn't see them until you were shown this image.

There were others in the Canyon when we arrived (about 12:30 in early June that was to be expected), but everybody co-operated with each other, and nobody was too "precious" about their shots that they didn't want others to see them. Once we'd slowed up to let the other group get ahead we had the various scenes to outselves - and in fact once they'd reached the bottom of the canyon you couldn't even hear them, so you had the feeling there were only 6 of us in the entire canyon - at one of the peak times !

The guide also helped capture the light effects by throwing up some sand - but then we reached a point where the sand was falling naturally due to it being a windy day outside - again a pseudo-pro camera person might not be happy with this - but you can't stop nature !

An excellent experience.