“Significant issues with our Canyon X tour, but good mgmt response”
Review of Overland Canyon Tours - CLOSED

Overland Canyon Tours
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Let me begin by saying I struggled to assign an overall rating to our experience. There were a number of issues with our Canyon X tour, however, when I discussed our concerns with Overland, they were very apologetic, and quick to offer a partial refund. It seems that our experience was an anomaly. I'd encourage you to read the whole review and judge for yourself.

Our guide was nearly 45 minutes late, which did not get things off on a great foot. The guide had been under the impression that our tour started at 10 a.m. instead of 8 a.m. The tour had indeed originally been scheduled for 10, but was changed to 8 the week prior at Overland's request. This change apparently did not get passed along to our guide.

I had been hoping to learn a bit about the geology, history, and culture of the area from our guide, but unfortunately I learned very little. She spent the first part of the drive to the Canyon discussing the scheduling mishap and most of the rest of it talking about the day's news. In the canyon we generally walked in silence. Her responses to my questions about the canyon itself were terse.

I also had some safety concerns. Our guide talked on the cellphone while driving (I was later assured that this is against Overland's policy) and asked for our opinion about whether we should proceed with the tour given the potential for rain and flash floods that day. We are not from the area and have zero experience in assessing flash flood danger, so that was disconcerting.

After our tour, I contacted Overland to express my concerns with the tour. Brenda responded promptly and professionally, and offered to refund half the cost of our tour. The refund showed up on my credit card within a day, but was only for $105 instead of $120 (our total cost for two people was $240).

Canyon X itself was beautiful, especially the slot canyon portion that you go through near the beginning of the tour. The solitude was wonderful... the only other group in the canyon was the Overland photography tour, for a total of maybe 10 people. There was no issue with taking the time necessary to get a good photograph. As noted on Overland's website, the slot canyon portion is relatively short and then it opens up into a much wider canyon. The wider portion is still very scenic, but cannot match the "wow" factor of the slot canyon. If you're looking for a longer slot canyon hike, one of their other tours may suit you better.

A closing thought: The only other person on our tour was a gentleman who had taken a tour with Overland the previous day. He had been so impressed with his guide the day before, that he booked the Canyon X tour as well. He seemed equally frustrated with the issues on our tour, but hearing him talk about his positive experience the day before further convinced me that our experience was an anomaly.

1  Thank bce525

Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is a first rate tour. Our guide was Vivian and she made the trip excellent. She guided us with great tips on camera and the all important info about what we were seeing. Would highly recommend this company as the tour group is small and Vivian really made the experience one we will not forget.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Highly recommend Overland Canyon Tours, very professional, and pleasant. Jackie was a terrific guide. Thanks so much! If you are interested in the Antelope Canyon tours, go with Overland and if you can, take the photo tour! It is worth it!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This trip already came highly recommended but Brenda exceeded my already high expectations. She booked a nearby hotel for us and was readily available for the litany of questions we had before we came. We had a birthday in our party, the reason for the special trip, she made an extra effort to include a little "birthday cake" complete with candles for our little celebration. It just made the trip even more special. Our friendly and easy going guide, Bill, was great. His experience in the canyon and with photography made him the perfect ambassador for Overland. Overall our experience with Overland was terrific and I would more than highly recommend them for a very unique experience!!

Linda Steve and Gary

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were traveling with our two children, ages 5 and 7, and wanted to see Antelope Canyon. After checking prices and reviews, we chose to book the Upper Antelope Canyon "Regular Tour" with Overland Canyon Tours. Overland is fantastic! Our tour guide, Jackie (sp?), was great. She took a lot of time with us to point out and describe features, and she was great with the kids (showing them cool tricks--e.g., how to make echo noises in certain places and, using sand and water, how the canyon itself formed). She even helped adjust our camera settings and suggesed cool spots to snap photos, which resulted in some really gorgeous shots. We would definitely recommend going with Overland Canyon Tours!