“Fun transportation”

Antelope Canyon Tours by Roger Ekis
Ranked #8 of 44 Tours in Page
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

The trucks that carry you out to the canyon were cool. The canyon was beautiful and if you're around in the summer the beams of light are worth paying extra for. The guide was friendly and informative and even though there were a lot of people in the canyon the guides worked together so that everyone had many photo opportunities. Fantastic tour and beautiful canyon.

There are newer reviews for Antelope Canyon Tours by Roger Ekis

Reviewed November 7, 2013

A trip to Antelope Canyon is a great experience. The perfect scenario: Go through the canyon twice: one time to see it, then once more to take pictures. Since this isn't reality for most, Roger Ekis' group did a good job of getting us in, showing the best angles for photos, and explaining the canyon in a very short time frame. If you are a serious photographer, take the photography tour, but expect crowds and interruptions as other tours are there at the same time.

This is not a tour for leisurely strolling through the canyons, snapping and admiring. You have go back the way you came in, which contributes to the crowding, but one good benefit: you get a second chance for photos and some of my best shots were on the return.

Tips: dress in layers during the fall; wind and 55 degrees is cold. Wear good shoes that can navigate deep sand. Know how to work your camera before you get there.

Deborah, our tour guide, was great at showing everyone see the best angle for good shots and took personal photos of you and your group in the canyon. She even helped people in our group who didn't know how to work their cameras. (Believe me, there were several.) However, we did feel rushed, as there are multiple tour groups in the canyons at one time, and the photographers tour ahead of us blocked our way more than once. You are told not to say anything, but at one point, there were three of us who were lagging way behind our group, so I finally asked if we could go around.

We drove in from Sedona (about a 4-hour trip with detours due to road closures) for an 11:30 am tour. We asked to change our tour to a day earlier based on weather. The staff was very flexible and accommodating.

This is a site you could visit more than once; I would definitely book with this company again as they know the area and can help you with sights you might otherwise miss. Don't expect to ooh and aah for any length of time while you are there. Just shoot multiple times and you are bound to get some good shots. You'll ooh and aah when you review them!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Antelope Canyon is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! It is unique, and I think it's something you should see. But, think about what you want out of the tour before you go. Do you value the experience of taking in it's beauty, or do value capturing stunning photos? Unfortunately you can't have both! I took the 11:30am tour with this company and was very disspointed. I knew 11:30am meant more crowded, but thought since I was visiting during November instead of the Summer it wouldn't be as bad. I was very wrong! The tour guide from Ekis rushed us through as fast as she could. She was very annoyed and always snapping at people to "Take your picture and move on." If anyone lingered for even a second to look around she'd snap "Did you get your picture? Move on please!" Then you have to climb over everyone on the photography tour with their tripods, who you are in the way for. My pictures did come out very nice, but to be honest the way my pictures captured the light wasn't even how the canyon looked. I highly recommend taking the earliest or latest tour possible, so you can actually enjoy the canyon. If you're an actual photographer or interested in taking beautiful pictures, absolutely take the photographers tour instead. They weren't being rushed at all - but do expect people to be climbing over and around you the whole time because it is very narrow!!

1  Thank eephus19
Reviewed November 3, 2013

If you are in the Page / Lake Powell area, do not miss Antelope Canyon. I highly recommend visiting both Upper Antelope *and* Lower Antelope. The natural beauty of these slot canyons is breathtaking, and there is a reason they are among the most photographed in the world. That being said, your experience as a visitor will largely depend on the quality of the tour company and individual guide - with both UAC and LAC being located on Navajo land, you have no choice but to be escorted by a Navajo guide.

Antelope Canyon Tours' office is located in Page near many of the local hotels. We could walk from our hotel to the office, which was convenient. I highly recommend making reservations, and if you are planning to visit in the peak summer months (June - Sept), I would even make them weeks if not months in advance. If you plan on doing the 4-hour photographic tour, you will definitely need reservations well in advance, as slots are limited and sell out quickly. Note for Upper Antelope, if you want to capture those amazing beams of light, the best months to capture them are between June and September, and the best times of to be in the canyon are between 11AM - 2 PM.

We did a morning tour in October, so we knew we would miss the big beams of light, but were content to have the color display of mauves and purples.

We checked in to the cashier and she processed our $35/per person credit card quickly and efficiently. The price includes a permit to visit the reservation plus tour fees. The reception was not particularly warm and friendly, but I was so eager to visit the canyon, that I didn't let this bother me. There is a small gift shop attached with various postcards, and native Navajo items for sale, if interested.

The office was small, so we waited outside for our guide. You will be riding in the back of an open truck for about 15 minutes from the office in Page to the entrance of the Canyon. The truck has back-to-back bench seating and fits about 15 people. There are seat belts for two, so you are secured in place for the ride. The majority of the ride to the Canyon is on paved road, but you will be going around 60-65 mph. For an early October morning, that ride was particularly chilly, and I was very happy to have a warm fleece layer. The access road to the entrance of the canyon is maybe 2 miles long, and definitely a four wheel drive experience. In the back of the truck, it is bumpy and rocky, and our guide encouraged us to hold on to the rail for balance. I couldn't help but notice a sign on the back of the truck in about a dozen different languages noting that Tips were appreciated.

Rosie was our guide, and our first photo opp was at the entrance of the canyon. She was sure to take pictures of each couple or group before we went inside. There are a number of chambers inside, and the tour stops in each and there is usually something to say about where you are. Some of those details include how the canyon was formed, influenced by the elements, and there are some stark reminders of the dangers of water, as you can remnants of the flash floods that come through the canyon, even when the rain is miles away.

Since our tour was in October, we were not going to see the famous big beams of light shining down from the sky. That was disappointing, but we made the most of it. Rosie was well-versed in the different camera shots in each chamber of the canyon, and even helped people take shots if they were struggling or the angle was tricky. We definitely moved through the chambers at a brisk pace, and a common critique of this tour company is that they are more interested in the quantity of visitors vs. the quality of time spent. To Rosie's credit, since many of us were lingering to take pictures, she did let another tour pass us, so our experience was not as rushed as other reviews I have seen. I also give Rosie credit for speaking many languages, to ease communication with international visitors.

One big flaw of UAC is that you walk through the chambers and then turn around and walk back the way you came. This makes crowd control difficult, and frustrating for those trying to get a pristine shot.

In the end, we had a little over an hour in the canyon. When we returned to the office, I asked about Lower Antelope Canyon, and the (probably teenage) girl working the register seemed reluctant to say much about it. Thankfully I noticed a parking lot almost across the street from the entrance to UAC, and we drove ourselves there. I highly encourage seeing both UAC and LAC in the same day, each has its own unique qualities to offer. Our Lower Antelope guide said that the Upper Antelope guides are only interested in money and not the quality of the tour. It seems there is some contention and rivalry between the two, even though tour companies go to either one or the other of the canyons.

So in summary, the venue is 5 stars, the administrative side is efficient but lacking warmth, and Rosie as a guide was very good.

2  Thank Karen M
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was our second time to Antelope Canyon, previously, we'd just rocked up at the Canyon and got on a tour on spec. This time, we had to book in advance - that's a sign of the times. This time we booked with Roger Ekis tours only a day or two in advance and got on a tour at 8am on a Saturday. I'd read some reviews on here where Antelope tours had received a bad rap for being hurried and overcrowded etc. Well, in our case this wasn't a problem. The tour guide was helpful, friendly and gave us just enough time to stand and stare and take photos. OK, so we couldn't have spent hours in there and there were tour groups in front and behind, but on the whole we didn't feel rushed or crowded. At no time did our group clash with another nor did the guide stop us from taking the photos we wanted. The light in the canyon, even at 8am was good so well worth it.

Yes, it's more popular than it was six years ago, but still well worth a visit.

Been to Antelope Canyon Tours by Roger Ekis? Share your experiences!