“Absolutely Beautiful”

Antelope Canyon
Ranked #5 of 58 things to do in Page
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located near Lake Powell, this "slot" canyon is considered sacred by the Navajo.
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I am so glad we went here! The canyon was lovely and amazing. We went to the upper canyon (supposedly the better one), and is a short walk, so you do not have to worry about tiring out. It would be best to go there before 3, or else there is barely any lighting in the canyon and you can't good photos.

3  Thank ezwu
Write a ReviewReviews (6,928)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
"photo opportunities"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Antelope canyons yield beautiful pictures. No doubt about that. For people like me who like taking pictures but not for their artistic purpose, canyons became little boring after a while. The only thing our guide was kept telling us was where and how to take pictures. It is fascinating however, to know how these canyons were formed.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

The canyon, another stunning natural wonder of the south west, had passed our radar screen somehow, but someone mentioned it to us, so when we passed through Page, we signed up for a tour with Roger Ekis' tour service. Our guide drove us to the Canyon, telling us all about the lottery to enter "the wave" canyon at the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument. He was also quite informative about the formation of the slot canyons, and he suggested many photo opportunities in the canyon (unnecessarily, though, since they kind of screamed out at me). I'd recommend this tour without reservation (pun!). Don't miss it if you're in the area.

3  Thank nrtopper
Reviewed November 30, 2013

... the organization not so much.

I want to start by recommending you do not go there during winter. Yes, it is still majestic, but it HAS to be much better during summer and with sunlight.

We were there yesterday. I loved the canyon. It is like you stepped into another world. I should say that we visited the upper canyon, because the lower closed early, and they did not have any space available (even though we were there at noon).

Our guide did not have much knowledge of the geology or history. She pretty much just came up with those made up names for shadows and rocks that I do not care much about. She also offered to take pictures for picture. All nice of her. I just went ahead of her and took awesome pics with no one in them except for the incredible view. With a good camera, the lack of light won't be a problem.

Now I have to say... the people taking you in the canyon, the Navajo I suppose, it's very rude and unorganized. They will tell you one moment they do not accept cards, then the next they do. They will tell you to be there at certain time, then wait there for 40 min. They will say the tour will last 90 min, then you will be back in less than 60.

What made me really sad was not being able to visit the lower one. I was more excited to see that one even though I know the "popular" one is the upper canyon. No where online I found that they did not offer tours later than 2 pm. Or that you better be there early because they are sold out so soon. So keep that in mind if you want to see both.

Yet I'd say I would do it all again, because I loved what I was able to see, and I was not discouraged by the other negative things I mentioned or the monster power station that you WILL see.

Also, we did not book at tour at Page. I wanted to be independent to come and go. I am not even sure there are tours to the lower canyon anyway. We went to their parking lot, and book it there. Go early! Go!

4  Thank Ligeia_ppgl