“The canyon is great...”

Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend Day Tour
Ranked #3 of 54 things to do in Page
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located near Lake Powell, this "slot" canyon is considered sacred by the Navajo.
Reviewed November 30, 2013

... the organization not so much.

I want to start by recommending you do not go there during winter. Yes, it is still majestic, but it HAS to be much better during summer and with sunlight.

We were there yesterday. I loved the canyon. It is like you stepped into another world. I should say that we visited the upper canyon, because the lower closed early, and they did not have any space available (even though we were there at noon).

Our guide did not have much knowledge of the geology or history. She pretty much just came up with those made up names for shadows and rocks that I do not care much about. She also offered to take pictures for picture. All nice of her. I just went ahead of her and took awesome pics with no one in them except for the incredible view. With a good camera, the lack of light won't be a problem.

Now I have to say... the people taking you in the canyon, the Navajo I suppose, it's very rude and unorganized. They will tell you one moment they do not accept cards, then the next they do. They will tell you to be there at certain time, then wait there for 40 min. They will say the tour will last 90 min, then you will be back in less than 60.

What made me really sad was not being able to visit the lower one. I was more excited to see that one even though I know the "popular" one is the upper canyon. No where online I found that they did not offer tours later than 2 pm. Or that you better be there early because they are sold out so soon. So keep that in mind if you want to see both.

Yet I'd say I would do it all again, because I loved what I was able to see, and I was not discouraged by the other negative things I mentioned or the monster power station that you WILL see.

Also, we did not book at tour at Page. I wanted to be independent to come and go. I am not even sure there are tours to the lower canyon anyway. We went to their parking lot, and book it there. Go early! Go!

4  Thank Ligeia_ppgl

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a very lovely place to spend time and you will love sharing your photographs. It is a bit pricey compared to the national parks and monuments.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is well worth visiting. I prefer lower over upper antelope. You don't have to sign up with one of the tours in Page. You can simply drive out to the Canyon and buy a ticket.

I live in Page and whenever I have visitors I always encourage them to visit Lower Antelope

10  Thank samsmart
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We visited Page area for the 2nd time (all the way from South Africa), to make sure we get into the Antelope Canyons this time. The tour to upper canyon was very special, but what a pain to take nice photographs with crowds of people pushing behind, others returning from the front and guides telling you to "move on,stay with your guide". The light was good, but there was no chance of using a tripod, and with a slow speed to compensate for the darker areas, it was extremely difficult. The photographic tours were sold out unfortunately, and the following day was overcast and possibility for rain and flush floods, so we had to make the best of our tour. We would have liked just a 15 minute break before the next group enter, giving one group more comfort in the narrow canyon. But what magnificent rock formations and the most amazing colors. If interested in good photography, only do the photographic tours or go on your own steam. Be aware, it's pricy and the drivers of the 14seater trucks are rough drivers. Take water, and sneakers will make it easy.

1  Thank Joles2013
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I are 70 and 72 and we are so glad we visited lower Antelope Canyon while we are still able to manage the climbing up and down many ladders and extensive walking in sand in the sometimes narrow canyon. It is one of the most amazing and beautiful locations on earth and well worth seeing. I just mention that it was difficult for me because I took the photographer's tour (which meant I could spend 2 hours by myself in the canyon taking photographs instead of the one hour tour, $10 more) and I became exhausted putting up and taking down my tripod, carrying my heavy gear and marching through that soft sand and up and down the ladders at my age. Thanks goodness my husband was there to assist me. And when you climb out of lower Antelope Canyon by yourself, there are no signs to show you which way to go back, so you have to scout out the different directions until you find the path (because you come up out onto solid rock). Do it while you are in good shape, but don't miss it.

Upper Antelope Canyon was also beautiful, but very dark when we went through due to the time of year (November). Tons of people, I mean crowded, and rushed, and much, much shorter than lower Antelope. We went directly to the entrance and took the tour from there. Don't know why others don't do that as well. It is so simple. The guide let me take my tripod as well as another man on the regular tour as long as we didn't hold things up, so we didn't have to take the more expensive photographer's tour. I was glad for that because the Canyon was completely full of people end to end and you couldn't have set up your tripod for long anyway. Busy place. If you only have time for one - visit Lower Antelope Canyon. We visited Page, Arizona, just to see these slot canyons.

7  Thank Anne M

Been to Antelope Canyon? Share your experiences!