“AWESOME”

Antelope Canyon
Ranked #5 of 58 things to do in Page
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located near Lake Powell, this "slot" canyon is considered sacred by the Navajo.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We visited Page area for the 2nd time (all the way from South Africa), to make sure we get into the Antelope Canyons this time. The tour to upper canyon was very special, but what a pain to take nice photographs with crowds of people pushing behind, others returning from the front and guides telling you to "move on,stay with your guide". The light was good, but there was no chance of using a tripod, and with a slow speed to compensate for the darker areas, it was extremely difficult. The photographic tours were sold out unfortunately, and the following day was overcast and possibility for rain and flush floods, so we had to make the best of our tour. We would have liked just a 15 minute break before the next group enter, giving one group more comfort in the narrow canyon. But what magnificent rock formations and the most amazing colors. If interested in good photography, only do the photographic tours or go on your own steam. Be aware, it's pricy and the drivers of the 14seater trucks are rough drivers. Take water, and sneakers will make it easy.

1  Thank Joles2013
Write a ReviewReviews (6,955)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
"photo opportunities"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I are 70 and 72 and we are so glad we visited lower Antelope Canyon while we are still able to manage the climbing up and down many ladders and extensive walking in sand in the sometimes narrow canyon. It is one of the most amazing and beautiful locations on earth and well worth seeing. I just mention that it was difficult for me because I took the photographer's tour (which meant I could spend 2 hours by myself in the canyon taking photographs instead of the one hour tour, $10 more) and I became exhausted putting up and taking down my tripod, carrying my heavy gear and marching through that soft sand and up and down the ladders at my age. Thanks goodness my husband was there to assist me. And when you climb out of lower Antelope Canyon by yourself, there are no signs to show you which way to go back, so you have to scout out the different directions until you find the path (because you come up out onto solid rock). Do it while you are in good shape, but don't miss it.

Upper Antelope Canyon was also beautiful, but very dark when we went through due to the time of year (November). Tons of people, I mean crowded, and rushed, and much, much shorter than lower Antelope. We went directly to the entrance and took the tour from there. Don't know why others don't do that as well. It is so simple. The guide let me take my tripod as well as another man on the regular tour as long as we didn't hold things up, so we didn't have to take the more expensive photographer's tour. I was glad for that because the Canyon was completely full of people end to end and you couldn't have set up your tripod for long anyway. Busy place. If you only have time for one - visit Lower Antelope Canyon. We visited Page, Arizona, just to see these slot canyons.

7  Thank Anne M
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We were staying over at the nearby courtyard and we managed to book a tour in the hotel the next morning. It was absolutely worth it as an amateur photographer.

1  Thank reistgraag
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We went when the sunbeams were still coming through so the colors were amazing. I highly recommend a photography tour as one has more time with a smaller group. You can only go here with a guide from town

See more reviews
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Fantastic place, but a bit pricey. If you took an excurison from Page, it cost $35.00 per person; we went in our car, so were forced to pay "Park Entrance Fee" of $6.00 per person, which was literally car parking fee, as you ONLY can go to canyon with guided tour on their open car - $40 pe person for 10am-12am departures, $25.00 for all other departures time.
As were in October, still no beam, and to be honest I don't think is great difference between 11am tour and 1pm tour.
Though the tour was very interesting, and well worth going!

4  Thank businka_york

Been to Antelope Canyon? Share your experiences!