“Amazing experience”

Antelope Canyon Tour and Horseshoe Bend from Sedona
Ranked #3 of 53 things to do in Page
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located near Lake Powell, this "slot" canyon is considered sacred by the Navajo.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We visited Lower Antelope Canyon, which was absolutely amazing. Our guide, Tatanka, was wonderful. He was ever so patient with our photo-taking, answered all our questions and even volunteered to take many photos of us and showed us great spots for pictures. I loved Antelope Canyon because it is a place where you can actually touch and feel the canyon and engage with it, as you walk through the narrow slots. The colours are amazing and the light plays wonderful tricks on the rocks. Visiting Antelope Canyon was an experience I will never forget!

A few tips - you need to take a guided tour (tourists are not allowed to see the canyon on their own for safety reasons), but there is no need to make advance reservations - the tours run every half an hour and you just need to show up a little ahead of the time you want to take the tour. Also, the national park pass will not work here because it is an Indian reservation.

A tip from hearsay - the Upper canyon is supposed to be very commercial (I haven't been there, so I have no idea). The Lower canyon is not at all commercial or touristy - no souvenier shops, and it wasn't very crowded when we visited.

5  Thank Maheshwari29
Write a ReviewReviews (6,151)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We where picked up from the airport and rode in the back of a pick up truck to the canyon, then off road for another two miles, a wild ride. Then quided through ( pushed) great pictures but Rushed.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I visited the Antelope Canyons via Chief Tsosie's tours. While waiting for the tour to start, I spoke to a woman who worked there, named Ver. She was rude and condescending when I asked her questions about the community based off of conversations I had with other Navajo community members. At one point she told me we call ourselves 'Diné' and we only use 'Navajo' around "you people". She seemed prejudiced against those who weren't Navajo or Native American. It later turned out that this woman was our tour guide. Once the tour started, she did a complete 180 and became very charming and friendly. However the previous interaction put a damper on the tour. The references to 'our forefathers' and 'us Americans' during the tour seemed pretentious in contrast. I would definitely not recommend going with this company.

13  Thank TinaM2013
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The canyon is really scenic, provides great photo opportunities and is physically very easy to visit. But... it's kind of an expensive visit and you will have lots of company. Moreover the scenic portion of the canyon is fairly short. Finally you will find that there are all sorts of "photo masters" with massive tripods that get rather disgruntled if you want to step in front of their camera during time elapse photos. This is pretty hard to avoid doing given the slot nature of the canyon.

Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I took a tour to the canyon in January, not really knowing what to expect. I drove up to Page from Phoenix, and stopped at Horseshoe Bend (which was very cool). The tour group of about 15 people all squished into a 4x4 and drove out to the canyon on a very rough dry river bed. But I hear on busy summer days they may take upto four trucks. Our guide, Martin, gave us a short talk about the canyon and then took us in. There are some amazing geological formations, although in the winter, you cannot see the famous beams of light and the colors are less vivid. If you have asthma or anything similar, the guides throw dust in the air for some great photos, but you may want to stay back. Martin helped us position our cameras and was extremely helpful. If you've never visited Arizona, definitely take the drive up here.

1  Thank AllFiftyStatez

Been to Antelope Canyon? Share your experiences!