“Great atmosphere”

Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Gustavus
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: I am the owner of Gustavus Inn. Our restaurant was named "America's Classic 2010" by the James Beard Foundation. Although we are a hotel, I thought we should appear in the Gustavus, Alaska restaurant listings. We serve dinner nightly to our hotel guests and if we have room, a few extras. Our menus rotate during the week depending on guest preferences. There is only one entree, always seafood and garden bounty. Nightly we feature a foraged wild edible on the bar or table. Meat is served only to accommodate house guests by prior order. Since we prepare everything from scratch onsite, we can happily accommodate dietary restriction with advance notice. My suggestion for dining at the Gustavus Inn is to stay here for guaranteed reservations in the dining room.
Vernon, Canada
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Good food--introduced to "beach asparagus" and kelp pickles for the first time along with their signature dish, Halibut Caddy Gantry. The company was interesting too--a diverse group of people around the table, sharing the food "family-style". We did feel a little rushed, i.e. as soon as we finished the main course the dishes were whisked away and the dessert choices were offered.

Mill Valley, California
“Local Alaskan cuisine - best salmon of my life”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This inn and restaurant is a Gustavus legacy - and after having dinner there I can see why! There is one dinner sitting per night, and everyone is seated at one of four tables where the food is served family style. The food was limitless and unbelievably fresh and delicious. We had bbq king salmon (white and red), fresh greens salad, carrots, snow peas, potatoes, homemade sourdough bread and this incredible raspberry vanilla cake for dessert. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

The only upgrade I'd note is that I would have liked the proprietors to have connected with us a bit more -- I felt that we were just one of a large group, and it would have been nice to have conversed with the staff a little.

Visited August 2013
Whitehorse, Canada
“Lovely setting, great dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I ate here with a group at the end of a kayaking trip. It was crab and halibut night. Delicious!!! The food just kept coming. It is locally sourced and much is grown on site. The salad was delicious as was the dessert. We started outside looking at the gardens and the view and eating appies and drinking beer. We moved inside for the meal which is served family style. The owner's parents started the Inn and the owner's son is one of the chefs. I loved the food and the ambience and went back the following night. The food was again delicious and plentiful. My friend and I said that we would come back just for the salad as it was so fresh. The only problem was two big meals two days in a row is not normal for us but we enjoyed it nonetheless. The lemon meringue pie with blueberries on the bottom was to die for.

• Visited July 2013
Juneau, Alaska
“Diners Beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

On a recent trip to Gustavus we learned the hard way that the Gustavus Inn has a “policy” of bumping dinner guests if they end up with enough guests staying at the Inn to fill their dining room, even if the dinner guests have reservations. We live in nearby Juneau and made plans last spring to stay at a friend’s cabin in Gustavus in July. We made reservations for dinner at the Inn months in advance because we know summer is a busy time for Gustavus. On the afternoon of the day of the dinner, when we were already in Gustavus, the Inn called to inform us that our dinner reservation was canceled because they had just booked more overnight guests and there was no room at the table. The owner was unapologetic, telling us that we were told of their policy when we made the reservation. We weren’t told. If we were, we wouldn’t have tried to eat at the Inn. After all, what’s the use of a reservation that can be canceled with little advanced warning? I’ve since heard that the Inn canceling dinner reservations is a common occurrence. Fortunately for us, we were welcomed for dinner at the Bear Track Inn. The food there was delicious and the ambiance pleasant and I recommend it as a place to stay or dine for your Gustavus visit. Lisa W.

2 Thank Lisa W
JoALGustavus_Ak, Owner at Gustavus Inn at Glacier Bay, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
So sorry you were not able to dine with us and that we did not communicate well. Since our restaurant is in support of our house guests, we only can add people if our 30 seats are not taken by those staying here. Since every dinner reservation is an empty room for us, there is always the possibility of getting bumped at the last minute since we are primarily a hotel. I'm sorry you were disappointed. The only way to be certain of a reservation in our dining room is to stay here especially at the peak of the season. We will try to find a more concrete system of conveying this to everyone involved in the reservation process, perhaps an email confirmation with our policy clearly spelled out. We hope you will try again if you visit Gustavus!
Boulder, Colorado
“Eat Here!! Super yummy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We didn't stay here because of price, but we did eat dinner here twice. The Inn is amazing, and the food spectacular. I loved the family style dinner, the fresh fish and the straight from the garden salads. Best place to eat in Gustavus. (dinner is at 6:30..apps at 5:45, get there early, have some apps and sit on the patio, very nice)