“Wonderful place”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Gustavus
Córdoba
“Wonderful place”
Reviewed August 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge for four nights starting on 29th July 2008. Barlett Cove is better than staying in Gustavus as you are right in the place to enjoy nature, you don't have to be driven to the park every morning as you are living in it, besides Gustavus is just a bunch of B&B and Inns. At the lodge we recommend the rooms with a view, a bit more expensive but far better than the regular ones. We loved our stay: solitude, nature, wildlife... The room was big enough for the two of us though we would have preferred a king size bed, there is only a small queen plus a single bed in each room so we couldn't share a bed. Food at the lodge was fine but we missed a bar or coffee shop open all day and fruit and vegetables in the menu. Nevertheless, the food was tasty and plentiful and not pricey considering it has to be shipped from Seattle. Even beer and wine were fine, a good selection of Californian reds and Alaskan beer. The shop at the lodge could have a wider choice of cookies as there were a couple of times that we couldn't have desert, they'd run out of chocolate cake at the restaurant, and we only found a bar of fudge. It is not a place to go with children unless they love nature and don't mind silence and discipline. It is the perfect place if you want to get the most of Alaska, the glaciers we saw in the cruises we went into were stunning, and in the Dinning with whales cruise, we had the most impressive experience of our life with whales. We even saw a young black bear in a walk just outside our room! We strongly recommend to stay and to follow the cruises that they offer you at the lodge. Bring some fruit and cookies with you though.

• Liked — Silence
  • Disliked — Few trails around
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank love_travelling_66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My wife, son, and I stayed three nights at the Glacier Bay Lodge at the end of July, 2008. The lodge rooms, which are in cabins away from the main lodge, are very pleasant for a national park setting; they were much nicer than rooms in lodges at Glacier National Park or Mt. Rainier National Park. Of course, there are no televisions, and cell phone coverage is non-existent. You have internet access in the main lodge building.

The catamaran excursion to the glaciers is marvelous. A ranger is on-board, and we saw mountain goats, 9 grizzly bears, and hundreds of sea lions. You get up close and personal with about 8 glaciers. I was amazed by the number of icebergs in the water near the glaciers. Good food is served during the eight hour trip, and bar service is available.

There are also ranger talks in the evenings at the lodge, and numerous hiking trails surround the lodge.

I would say that the food at the lodge's restaurant is disappointing. Two nights they were without steak, halibut, and salmon (3 of the 6 items on the menu). How can you have a restaurant in Alaska and run out of salmon and halibut? Practically all guests pay in advance for their meals at the restaurant (through the tour package). There is no excuse for not knowing how many people will be eating at the lodge at any one time. Also, the breakfast buffet is not presented in the most appetizing fashion.

The Lodge picks you up and takes you back to the Gustavus Airport in a converted school bus in order to connect with the daily Alaska Airlines flight.

• Liked — Catamaran Trip to the Glaciers
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank LOVENATLPARKS
frbill92@hotmail.com
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Glacier Bay Lodge is one of the best National Park Properties I have stayed in. From the moment I arried at Gustavus Airport aboard my Alaska Air flight, I felt pampered and welcomed at the lodge. Everything at the front desk went like clockwork. Everything was ready for my arrival--even the keys and paperwork were in order so checkin was a breeze. I had a waterfront room that overlooked Bartlett Cove. The room was large and very comfortable. There is no TV or cell phone service, so one feels completely relaxed. The food in the restaurant is pricey and there is a limited selection, but what I had was delicious. I did both the full-day Glacier Bay tour and the whale watching dinner trip. Both were outstanding. The hotel arranged all those reservations. Bikes are available for rental and one day I biked into Gustavus--about 10 miles from the lodge to visit some shops and have lunch. It was a great adventure! I visited Gustavus/Glacier Bay several years ago and stayed in a bed and breakfast outside the park. I would definitely recommend visitors to stay at the lodge--the heart of all the Glacier Bay Park life. The visitor's center for the Park is located in the lodge so there is always something going on of interest. I definitely want to return to Glacier Bay for another relaxing stay in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Frbill92
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights at the begining of July 2008, had a great stay.

Paid a bit more for a 'room with a view' but it was money well spent, views were spectacular.

Room itself was functional but fine, more than did the job especially bearing in mind the location - 2 double beds, nice bathroom - no tv which was great - also we couldn't get any reception on our wind up radio so it really made you realise you were out in the sticks!

The main lodge had a comfy seating area with a nice big fire - plenty of outdoor seating on the deck to watch the sun go down.

The restaurant was fine, food was great - good seafood, we even tried their clam pizza which was the best I've ever had (and I'm no real pizza fan).

Breakfast was either a buffet or menu - lunch was sandwiches/burgers etc... and when eating in the evening, you could eat inside our out. Also a good selection of wine and beer.

Some things were off the menu for our entire stay which was no problem - they explained how long it took to get provisions shipped up (from Seattle) !!

Now, the nature bit............WOW. We took some of the nearby hiking trails and the scenery took our breath away. There were bikes, gudied ranger walks and a whole host of trips to be taken - you'd be wise to book ahead as they were fully booked during our stay. We were told there were more moose than people in Gustavus, we certainly saw plenty evidence of bears and moose around the lodge and on our hikes, saw eagles and sea otters.

We chose a full day trip around Glacier Bay seeing wildlife and glaciers, absolutely unforgettable, do take some binoculars as they are a big help. The trip had a Ranger onboard all day and she was very informative; nice lunch and drinks provided.

Also chose a whale watching cruise (dinner optional) and that was stunning as well.

We used the onsite laundry which was fine

We used the Lodge's bus for transfer to and from the airport - absolutely fine.

We left on July 4th and the whole community was out celebrating - some of the staff offered to take us down which was a nice touch. In fact, all the staff were a nice bunch of people, lots of young ones who were earning money for college but they were all friendly and chatty.

Enjoyed the whole experience and would thoroughly recommed this place to anyone.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jmpf
San Jose, CA
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We just returned yesterday from the Glacier Bay Lodge after a fabulous camping/kayaking trip with Alaska Discovery. The Lodge was just what we needed. The setting is gorgeous. It's on Bartlett Cove, surrounded by lush forest. The deck looks out over the cove where you can see a few sail boats gently bobbing on the water, with forests and snowy peaks beyond.

The main room in the lodge has a fireplace (and Internet). You can get drinks and snacks on the deck or in the lobby at any time. Meals in the dining room were very good, especially the specials (halibut, salmon, rib eye steak). The only meal we didn't like was the pasta primevera -- skip that. The rooms were fine. Each had a double and a single bed, with bath. I'd go for the view rooms -- their setting is worth the extra money.

The lodge also operates the glacier viewing all-day cruise, which I highly recommend. It takes 3.5 hours to even get to the glaciers, but the Forest Service naturalist on board was very entertaining and knowledgable. They give you a continential breakfast, a good wrap lunch, hot soup after viewing the glacier from the deck and cookies toward the end of the trip. From the boat, we saw two pairs of grizzly bears on the shore, numerous whales, sea lions, otters, puffins, etc. You can go kayaking from the lodge or on a whale viewing dinner cruise, but we didn't do either. We did rent bicycles and rode to Gustavus, which is a flat 10 miles away.

There are some short hikes around the lodge. A moose and black bear were in the area of the lodge but I didn't see them. A campground is about 1/4 of a mile from the lodge -- looked fabulous.

I know that Gustavus is supposed to have some wonderful B&B's, but I was glad we chose the lodge instead. Being right on the water offered beautiful views and more activities. But I enjoyed visiting Gustavus -- I'm actually quite intrigued by the place and the people who live there (read The Only Kayak by a local author and photographer.)

Alaska is spectacular and Glacier Bay Lodge is really special. Our tax dollars are going to very good use here! (it's run by the Forest Service).

• Liked — The setting and the cozy rooms
  • Disliked — They charge $12 per person one way to Gustavus and the airport. Also, the reservation system located in Arizona makes many mistakes with reservations.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank oneyearoff
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 9, 2007

We loved staying at Glacier Bay Lodge. I definitely recommend the view rooms. The size is average and the setting is beautiful. The lodge itselt is great. Big old lobby with fireplace where people congregate with their computers. There is also a lovely porch with a view of Bartlett Cove.
The food is good although I wish they had had a place to get some fresh fruit, yogurt and other healthy foods. They do not serve any of this and there is no place nearby to purchase groceries. Bring your own!
The hotel is green in a non obtrusive way. I am happy to reuse my towels and drink shade grown coffee (it was wonderful).

• Liked — Old lodge feel in beautiful natural surroundings
  • Disliked — No refrigerator in room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joan m l
Sussex, WI
Reviewed July 27, 2007

Was a wonderful lodge, rooms were roomy, lots of hiking trails nearby. Great dining room and wait staff in the dining room was friendly.

• Liked — Clean and roomy
  • Disliked — Front desk could have been a little more friendly
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple