“Best Vacation Ever !!!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gustavus
Arroyo Grande
“Best Vacation Ever !!!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is the best way to experience Alaska. Not driving by in a cruise ship. There is so much to see and do on land. We hiked, kayaked, fished, golfed, saw whales, sea lions, huge otters, bald eagles, moose, bears from afar, many different kinds of birds and plant life(berries-Gustavus is know as the strawberry land) ate like royalty, and got a good nights sleep for the following days activities. Chef John prepared great meals morning, noon and evening including halibut cheeks as part of one of our diners. We fished with Forrest of True North Adventures, incredible skills and equipment. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. They made sure we were comfortable, well fed and pampered.

Room Tip: Love the little cabins, Each sleeps 4. Large, private and quiet with beautiful views of meadows, tr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Glacier Bay Country Inn was the perfect accommodation for my first trip to Alaska. Coming from New York City, I feel qualified to vouch for comfort and quality, and Glacier Bay Country Inn was incredibly comfortable, authentic, and inviting. Although I had the option of staying in an individual cabin, I stayed in a room in the lodge and I think it was a good call because I was closest to the kitchen and food! In addition to the fantastic food at the lodge, the adventures of hiking, sightseeing (glaciers), and the salmon run were unforgettable! Oh yeah, they supplied all the gear necessary, including transportation. I was and am still amazed at the breathtaking sights and experiences I had on my first visit to Alaska. Thank you to the great people at Glacier Bay Country Inn for making this such an unforgettable experience. I hope to be back very soon!

Room Tip: When I come back with my wife, I would look for an individual cabin if available, if not I had such...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was definately one of my most favorite vacations by far! I loved this little country inn! It is tucked away back in the beautiful Alaska forest. The grounds were well maintained. It was nice and quiet. I satyed in a cain. It was clean and decorated tastefully. There were two queen beds which were comfortable with soft sheets and nice down comforters. It also had a large flatscreen TV and a cozy little porch w/ chairs. The meals were all amazing! I loved the view from the dining room. There are lots of windows that look out into a huge gorgeous meadow. I saw a mother bear and three cubs on two different occasions! It was amazing!! The food was delicious and very filling. They also had tea time with fresh cookies each afternoon which was a nice treat. There is a ramada with a fire pit. I loved the jacuzzi! It overlooks the meadow. There was also a huge recreation room with lots of big windows. It had a ping pong and pool table, TV's, a game table and a sweet theater room with tons of movies and lots of comfy leather recliners. There were also lots of snacks and beverages layed out to snack on. The staff was awesome! They drove us to each of our activites, packed us a lunch each day, gave us ideas for our down times and always made sure we had everything we needed. I can't think of one complaint. We definatley plan on staying here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KandT2002
Highland, Utah
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I travel fairly often and have been to some very beautiful areas on the world, but my trip to Gustavus was special! I've never been on a trip that packed so much adventure into only 6 days! I went kayaking in a sea of floating icebergs and ended up riding a large wave when a huge chunk of ice broke off the glacier and rocked the small inlet near McBride's glacier. A few days later, I went salmon fishing and our group ended up sharing the hole with a couple of black bears for a few hours!

Apart from the thrills, the lodge was absolutely fantastic! My room was cozy and I was pleased to find cable, high speed internet, and a jacuzzi. The evening meals were incredible and often features halibut, steak, and salmon! The lodge's recreation center had a billiards table, a ping pong table, and a nice theater room with dozens of movies. Kudos to the young men working at the lodge, who fileted, froze, and packed my fish for the flight home! Great service all around.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
East Alton
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were taking our first vacation in 10 years and honestly we could not have chosen a better place. We were greeted at the airport by a young man with a big smile and a warm welcome. The peace and tranquility seems built into the lodge and its keepers. We were offered everything from a personalized breakfast, lunch and dinner to tea time every day. At night a wonderful fire was waiting for us as we sat under a canopy and listen to the rain.... very relaxing and romantic. The lodge is beautiful, complete with several quaint guest rooms, a library, movie screening room, dining room overlooking a beautiful meadow of wildflowers and wild strawberries. The lodge has a watch tower which serves as a specail look out room with chairs and a telescope to enjoy the night sky on a clear dusky evening. Dave and I stayed in a special two bed cabin decorated perfectly with quilts of moose on one and black bears on the other. The decor was perfect and so was the log cabin complete with its own porch! The food was magnificent and Chef Tim made our dining experience unique and personal as he himself would often serve us.... it was very fun as he takes great pride in his presentations which are nothing short of fabulous! We really enjoyed the staff and owners, Jim & Carla. Everyone is very friendly, accommodating, interested in their guests and always willing to provide whatever is needed to make your experience perfect. They have bicycles for exercise riding and those great exploration adventures of the area. Good trails are everywhere for those nice walks after a delicious meals. Although this was our first stay and meeting them for the first time, we feel as though we have known them much longer. We can hardly wait for a return trip. I would invite anyone wanting a unique and specail Alaskan experience to stay at the beautiful Glacier Bay Country Inn. It is the perfect place for a retreat or celebration. In our case it was the perfect vacation and we thank Jim, Carla and staff for being such fabulous hosts!

Room Tip: The lodge does not have a pool, but does have an outside hot tub next to the fireplace. All of the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coradavemiller
Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our third stay with Glacier Bay Country Inn. We love the friends we have made and the atmosphere there. They have 5 cabins for guests to stay in and several rooms to stay in in the main lodge. The meals we ate at the lodge were amazing and the lunches they packed for use to eat while we were out fishing were great. The staff was amazing. They were all so kind and helpful. We also saw two moose and a bald eagel at the lodge on our last night there. It truly is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: some cabins have bunkbeds and a queen size bed in them.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My wife and I absolutely loved our stay here and will be returning. The staff was so friendly and the food was amazing. We stayed in one of our own personal cabins which made our so peaceful and quiet. The scenery and atmosphere was incredible. I highly recommend staying here if you want to get That perfect Alaskan experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family