From the minute we drove up to the Inn we felt as if we were the number one priority of all staff members.
We were very warmly greeted by owner, Susan, and her four beautiful, well mannered, dogs.
As soon as we walked in we noticed that the place was spotless. Very clean and organized. We were shown to our room which was downstairs. I was very impressed with the room. It was large, had a huge 4 post king size bed with an unbelievably comfortable mattress. Just the smell of the sheets was terrific (my wife had to find out what Susan does to that bedding to make it smell so great). The room also included a fireplace, flat panel TV, futon, mini fridge, and coffee maker. The bathroom was huge and had gigantic fluffy towels. Very nice.
From your room you could walk out to your private patio. Great view from a nice table and chairs.
Wine tasting begins at 7pm with dinner following at 8pm. We were late to dinner a couple of times and the boys were nice enough to fix a plate and have it warm for us when we got in. I wasn't expecting that. I figured we would be out of luck because of our tardiness, but as I said earlier, they made us feel as if we were their number one priority. We really appreciated that.
The Food. Man, the food was fantastic. Fresh vegatables, perfectly prepared main dishes, and delicious desserts. While there we enjoyed Duck, Prime Rib, and a BBQ night (filet, chicken, habanero sausage, elk sausage with jalepeno, tri tips, etc). I've got to say the food was fantastic. Along with the great taste of the food, the presentation was also top notch.
Breakfast was light and simple. Fresh fruits, cereals, bakery items, etc. Just enough to get you started for your adventure in Glacier without feeling bogged down.
If you do a doubletake on the price per night, you've really got to take the food into consideration. This is like eating at a high price restaurant sitting in your shorts and hiking boots without all the pretentious stuff that goes along with it. I thought we got very good value on our dollar overall.
Odds and Ends:
Location: Great. Secluded, off the main highway. 10 minutes from the West Glacier entrance. Trains didn't bother us at all. Note to all: TRAINS ARE A FACT OF LIFE IN GLACIER! You are going to hear trains pretty much any place you stay.
Neccesities: Mouthwash, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner all provided. They also allow hikers to check out Bear Spray (WHICH WE ACTUALLY HAD TO USE ON A GRIZZLY ON CRACKER LAKE TRAIL!)
Staff: All wonderful, down to earth people. They went out of their way for our comfort. Susan is even sending us the bear spray we had to use on our hike so I can make a display with the picture we took, the broken hiking stick, etc. I insisted a couple of times to give her some money for postage and she would have none of it.
So I would really recommend The Great Bear Inn to virtually any traveler. Whether you are looking to meet new people or don't really want to talk to anyone at all. It is up to you. This is a place that you can choose how you want your vacation to unfold. Whether meeting new friends, or just reconnecting with your better half, you can choose how you want to spend your time.
As I stated in the title, "Simply Awesome".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Great Bear Inn proudly provides deluxe lodging accommodations in a spectacular setting, surrounded by the grandeur of Glacier National Park. Choose from deluxe rooms in the main lodge or comfortable cabin accommodation on our property. The unspoiled beauty of Montana awaits you just outside our magnificent Inn. Glacier National Park is less than ten minutes away. Hiking, white water rafting, fishing, hunting (seasonal), and horseback riding - the recreation possibilities offered by Northwest Montana are endless and the beauty is unlike anything found anywhere. The Inn is tastefully decorated in a style consistent with our location at the doorstep of Glacier National Park. An Oversized Continental is provided each morning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your The Great Bear Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Great Bear Hotel West Glacier
- The Great Bear Inn West Glacier, Montana