My wife and I got engaged in February 2008, and within two months, we had a wedding planned near Glacier National Park to be held in June 2008. This could not have been accomplished without the great help of Susan at The Great Bear Inn. The way it turns out, we were the first official guests of The Great Bear Inn and reserved the whole lodge for three days and nights for our immediate family.
Susan let us know weeks in advance that due to a late winter and long wet spring, the landscaping would not be finished and gave us the option out of our reservation. We understood the situation, and were just gracious that she was doing everything in her power to have everything prepared for our arrival as the first guests.
The lodge is tucked in off the beaten path of Blankenship Road and identified by “The Great Bear Inn Drive” green street sign tacked onto a nearby pine tree. As we pulled up the road and around the bend, out jumped this incredible mountain lodge. We were graciously invited in and began exploring the three different levels of this beautiful lodge. Upon walking through the front door, the entranceway leads to a beautiful great room with floor to ceiling windows with breathtaking views of the opposing mountain range. Off to the right is a fireplace (see home page of their website) that can be enjoyed in the great room, or also on the other side of the wall in the formal dining room (see Amenities page of their website). Adjacent to the dining room is a cook’s kitchen, if you know what I mean, with an additional dining room with three log tables for breakfast every morning. Climbing up the staircase leads you to the four deluxe suites, all in their own corner of the lodge, and downstairs you find the game room with pool table and the grand suites on either end. The grand suites were exactly that, grand. There is a lot of space to relax and each come with a fireplace and a private door that leads you out to your own patio to enjoy the fresh brisk mountain air in the morning. Each suite also comes with flat screen TVs, DVD players, mini refrigerators, and their own bathrooms.
The Great Bear Inn was the perfect place for us as we occupied all six suites and could retreat to them at anytime. There was also plenty of space where both families were able to mingle and get to know each other for the first time. We often found my mother and sister in the kitchen chatting it up with our gracious hosts, Susan and her son, Ryan, and we often found my wife’s dad coming back in from hiking in the mountains. They made us feel so welcome, and did everything in their power to accommodate us and to help us make this weekend a memorable one.
In response to some of the other reviews: Yes, there is a train that passes by down the road, but the train travels from East Glacier to West Glacier on the south end of the park, so if you want to stay reasonably close to either entrance, you will hear a train whistle occasionally. More troubling of all of the reviews, was to say that there was no view. I could sit and soak in the views for hours on end.
We will definitely return to The Great Bear Inn! We look forward to our next stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Great Bear Inn proudly provides deluxe lodging accommodations in a spectacular setting, surrounded by the grandeur of Glacier National Park. Choose from deluxe rooms in the main lodge or comfortable cabin accommodation on our property. The unspoiled beauty of Montana awaits you just outside our magnificent Inn. Glacier National Park is less than ten minutes away. Hiking, white water rafting, fishing, hunting (seasonal), and horseback riding - the recreation possibilities offered by Northwest Montana are endless and the beauty is unlike anything found anywhere. The Inn is tastefully decorated in a style consistent with our location at the doorstep of Glacier National Park. An Oversized Continental is provided each morning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Orbitz so you can book your The Great Bear Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Great Bear Hotel West Glacier
- The Great Bear Inn West Glacier, Montana