“Honeymoon Paradise”
Review of The Great Bear Inn

The Great Bear Inn
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Extremely friendly owners that made everyone truly feel welcome. They constructed an amazing property with a view to kill for. We could not get enough of the 4-course dinners everynight in the "luxury cabin" dining room overlooking the pristine wilderness. They even accomodated my "picky" eating habits with a smile :) We are extremely happy we selected the Great Bear Inn for our honeymoon and trip to Glacier NP.

1  Thank Joe L

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Great Bear Inn definately exceeded our expectations! Susan was a wonderful host and made us feel very welcomed and at home. Chef Ryans dinner was exceptional, I will definately be trying to recreate the duck dish he prepared at home!! The lodge is beautiful. They have done a wonderful job with the ambiance and decor. And to be honest, I think my husbands favorite part was the dogs. Very sweet animals. We were bummed we could only stay one night due to work, but we will be for sure making reservations again! Thanks again Susan and Ryan for making the weekend just what we needed!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Beautiful facility, great room with charming atmosphere. Susan, the proprietor, creates a warm atmosphere and treats her guests with an open arms approach. Ryan, her son and trained chef, prepares the dinners which are of very high quality - delicious. Easy access to the park. Wish we could have stayed longer, but will return.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I was in the area for vacation for 11 days and we stayed at The Great Bear for the last 5 nights of the trip (after going lodge-to-lodge up into Waterton & back). Great Bear was a great place to "settle down" and explore the area. The lodge is just beautiful and very well kept. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The grounds are lovely and the setting remote and serene. It's a mere 5-6 miles from the west entrance to GNP. But all of that doesn't even begin to capture the essence of our stay. It is friendly and casual and a great place to relax and make new friends as people come and go. The Innkeepers immediately make you feel welcome ("This is your home while you are here. Use it like you would your home."). There is a lovely living room area, billiards table, dining room (with guest fridge!) and nice deck with great views. It was all open to the guests and we all enjoyed it together. We shared wine, laughs and stories about our lives and adventures each day. We all gave pointers to the new folks coming in -- on good hikes, places to visit (& to avoid). Ryan (& Jake), our able and fun-loving chefs, served up some terrific 4 course meals (lamb, quail, flatiron steak, etc) and were great to chat with in the "open kitchen" just off the dining room. Breakfast choices were a bit slight (stock cereals, rolls and instant oatmeal). It is not a stuffy, formal Inn but a very comfy, laid-back place. Our stay was terrific and if we ever get back to GNP (which I hope to do), we will definitely stay there again! Susan, Mary, Ryan, Jake... you all were wonderful hosts! Thank you!!

Room Tip: the mini-grande suite opens up onto the deck and that was a nice amenity.
2  Thank afparker1960
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We lucked into 1 night at The GBI & have been talking about it since! We re-routed our trip to Glacier last minute so when we saw the reviews on GBI & they had a night we grabbed it! SO glad we did!! GBI Is the kind of place that makes fast friends out of strangers, with much of the credit going to the outgoing host & chef Ryan (unfortunately Susan was a bit under the weather during our stay)! We arrived at the start of a thunderstorm looking a bit like deer in the headlights after our first day of swivel neck driving through the glorious scenery of the park. Ryan welcomed us, gave us a tour & got us situated in our room just in time to relax & watch the storm. The Inn sits hillside with views from all rooms of the verdant mountains to the west. There needs to be a new category in which GBI would be at the top of - B&B&D ... bed & breakfast & dinner (or perhaps DD for Delicious Dinner!) - it's BYOB too! I could go on, but ... best thing I can say is GO!!!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

If Glacier National park is one of the most beautiful places on earth, Great Bear Inn is surely one of the most peaceful places to stay. My husband and I spent four nights there and found it to be such a tranquil, beautiful setting just to get away from everything.

We arrived late on Wednesday night and walked into Persian Dance Night-- which had been decreed by some children who were staying at the Inn with their family. There was lots of laughing, Persian music was playing and people were dancing. My husband and I were tired after a long drive so Susan, the owner and her sister dropped everything to help us get settled in our upstairs room. Susan's son, Ryan, came up to welcome us as well- I felt like royalty receiving guests as various people traipsed in and out of our room.

The next morning my husband and I got up and just enjoyed sitting for about an hour on the back porch, looking at the meadow behind the house and the surrounding trees and watching the hummingbirds at the feeders.

We met all the dogs and found them to be very friendly and loving. Since I was missing my own dog, I was quite happy to give the dogs scritchies, and they were quite happy to take them!

Our room was surprisingly large and very comfortable. There are no elevators so be prepared to climb steps. The bed is also very high off the ground, and I had a hard time getting up into it as I have a knee injury. Once I got up there, however, it was very comfortable.

The bathroom sink and mirror are out in the main bedroom, and our bathroom had a large shower, but no tub. I don't like baths so that was okay. The room itself was pretty quiet-- there was some noise after dinner because the other guests were engaging in some lively games of ping pong and billiards, but it didn't go on for too long and wasn't bothersome.

We had two meals at the inn that were prepared by Ryan. I wasn't able to eat much due to altitude sickness, but what I was able to eat was well prepared and delicious. My husband and I aren't very sociable so we weren't entirely comfortable with the communal dinners, however the other guests were very friendly and we enjoyed some light conversation with our meals. There were a few families there with children, and I was very impressed at how the staff went out of their way to talk to the kids and make them feel special. Ryan cooked special meals for them with special desserts, but also encouraged them to eat some of the adults' food.

The inn was just a very short drive from the entrance to Glacier National Park. While en route to and from the park we saw deer, a bear (!), and lots of chipmunks. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Great Bear Inn. Susan and her family have created something special in a beautiful little hideaway. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

(By the way Susan, I know you read these-- I hope someone else can use the bear spray we left for you!)

Room Tip: If you want more than one bed in your room, be sure to mention it in the comments section of your re...
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My son, daughter-in-law, and grandson spent two nights at The Great Bear Inn near West Glacier, Montana, and we enjoyed our experience so much that we wished we could have stayed longer. Upon our arrival at the inn, we were greeted by Susan, the owner and our hospitable host; her son Ryan, our fun-loving gourmet chef; and their five friendly dogs. When we soon entered the inn, Susan gave us a tour. The gathering room. on the ground floor, is decorated with beautifully made rustic furniture and features a fireplace and large picture windows that allow for a sweeping view of Montana's outdoors. From the living room, we stepped out onto a large deck where we took pictures of the gorgeous natural surroundings. Inside once again, we toured the well-appointed kitchen, a bar area for guests to gather and enjoy glasses of wine before dinner, and the glassed-in dining room with a long rectangular table where 23 or more guests congregate for a gourmet dinner each evening. Also, on the first floor, are a bathroom and another room containing a washer and dryer for guests to use. Downstairs is an activity room with books, games, and a ping pong table as well as additional bedrooms. As we made our way back up to the first floor, Susan led the way up to our bedrooms on the floor above. Our air-conditioned bedrooms were perfect and were decorated beautifully with rustic furniture and colorful bedspreads. We found the matresses most comfortable for a great night's sleep. The bedrooms, as well as our bathrooms, were new, super clean, and well-appointed with large, fluffy bath towels and complimentary toiletries. Soon it was time to meet the other guests staying at The Great Bear Inn, and we enjoyed the company of people from various places in the United States and Canada over a delicious dinner prepared by Ryan. After a good night's rest, we chose from a nice array of help-yourself cereals, muffins, juice, and coffee in the inn's dining room. Then it was off to fishing and enjoying the sights of West Glacier National Park. At the end of the day, we made it back to the inn just in time to freshen up for another well-prepared gourmet dinner served at 7:30 P.M. All to soon, it was time for bed again. The next morning, we enjoyed another continental breakfast and then more fishing before packing our bags and checking out. We all agreed that that The Great Bear Inn was a fabulous place to stay for all three generations in our group....BetsyI

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 13 in West Glacier
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
#3 of 17 in Whitefish

Been to The Great Bear Inn? Share your experiences!