My husband and I wanted a romantic, kid-free experience for a few days this summer. So after saving our pennies, we opted for a private, cushy experience. The Great Bear Inn was the PERFECT place to stay. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. It was 10 minutes from the park entrance (maybe less). And it was situated on a backroad, secluded from other resorts. Driving up, it seems as though you are going to stay at someone's really nice cabin retreat. It's not really an inn, like the name implies. It's more like a very nice Bed & Breakfast, with more privacy and amenities. They've really hit a niche here, and we couldn't have been more pleased.
Walking in, we were immediately met by the 10 or so other guests (of the 18 guest maximum), during a gourmet happy hour. We were taken to our room (holy smokes, it was so nice), down on the bottom floor. There were pool tables, laundry facilities, only one other suite downstairs, fireplace in the room, Tempur-pedic bed, huge bathroom in each suite, flat screen TV with a zillion channels, private patio, and that's only downstairs. I was pretty pampered, and loved every minute. It's new within the last few years, and had just undergone it's final renovations. Everything, even down to the soap in the bathroom was thoughtful.
The owner, Susan, was a doll! She really made us feel at home. Breakfast was minimal (croissants and muffins), because local diners are best for breakfast. Lunch is on your own. But dinner is a 5 star, 3 course gourmet meal prepared every night by two chefs (one is the owner's son). We had the best BBQ ever (and I am a Texan, y'all), duck, prime rib, Italian, and desserts I could not believe. It started with a "happy hour" wine tasting and hors d'oeuvres (or Pepsi tasting, if you don't drink). :) We mingled with guests (we made great little friendships in the few days we were there). Then we all ate in the dining room with panoramic views—all together at a long table. We were served whatever was prepared for the night (so no menu, but it was all amazing, and they make exceptions for people who don't like certain foods or are vegetarian). The happy hour area and kitchen were in one long room. So we chatted with the very friendly and talented chefs, and marveled at the amazing kitchen (the stoves made me swoon). They also have two brand-new separate cabins for families/groups. And they even have their own culinary garden! I am telling you. It's the greatest way to do this vacation if you are looking for a nicer experience, and don't want to camp stay in a large hotel. It was so friendly and inviting. Everyone was excited to get together in the evening and share our adventures from the day. Thank you, Great Bear Inn, for making Montana a trip of a lifetime!
If you want to read more about our experience here or at Glacier National Park, visit our family blog here: http://www.lyndsayjohnsonblog.com/2011/07/glacier-national-park-recap-note-on.html
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Great Bear Inn proudly provides deluxe lodging accommodations in a spectacular setting, surrounded by the grandeur of Glacier National Park. Choose from deluxe rooms in the main lodge or comfortable cabin accommodation on our property. The unspoiled beauty of Montana awaits you just outside our magnificent Inn. Glacier National Park is less than ten minutes away. Hiking, white water rafting, fishing, hunting (seasonal), and horseback riding - the recreation possibilities offered by Northwest Montana are endless and the beauty is unlike anything found anywhere. The Inn is tastefully decorated in a style consistent with our location at the doorstep of Glacier National Park. An Oversized Continental is provided each morning. This includes Oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruits, muffins, toast, fresh juice, cereals, and gluten free cereals, jams, jellies, honey, peanut butter, fresh butter, etc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your The Great Bear Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Great Bear Hotel West Glacier
- The Great Bear Inn West Glacier, Montana