My wife and I stayed here in late April for a week and had one of the best vacation experiences that we have ever had. The only problem is that you may not want to leave and see the park because the Inn is such a wonderful place and Susan & Ryan are such great people! This is the first review (of any sort) we've ever written but we felt we owed it to everyone else who wants to visit Glacier to tell them about this place. The Inn fits perfectly in Montana (and even includes a large stuffed bear). We were looking to get the "western inn" feel and the Great Bear Inn definitely delivered. The grand suite we stayed in was amazing; it was large, clean, and had plenty of natural woods and stone, etc. The Inn also has some great common areas including a deck, game room, living room area, and dining room. We loved the high ceilings and big windows in the great room and the view from the deck was beautiful. Unfortunatley, we were probably the worst pool players that ever used the game room! Important Note: The Inn had 3 #1's in all of our fifteen years of vacation travels. The first #1 was the best shower I have been in. Not a huge deal but I hate wimpy showers after a long day of doing outdoor activities. The second #1 was the food. The quality of the food totally caught us off guard. I am generally not a big food person but I must admit that Ryan knows his stuff. My wife, who very much is a "food person" was in heaven at every dinner. I had done most of the trip planning and after the first night, she thought I had kept the dining experience a secret from her so that she would be suprised. Unfortunately I couldn't take the credit because I just didn't know. Ryan prepared each 4-course, gourmet meal with excellent creativity, preparation, and presentation. My wife described it not as a meal but as a wonderful culinary experience. We went there for the location - and loved it, and for some quiet time to rest and relax - which we did, but we also left feeling like we had been spoiled at a 5-star restaurant every evening. The wine hour before dinner is a great touch as well. Don't forget to ask Chef Ryan to sit at the chef's table during dinner (he likes it when people ask!). The only other food note is that they really didn't do a breakfast (when we stayed there) so you will need to plan ahead and pick up a few things at the grocery store. The third #1 was the hospitality of the owner Susan. What a wonderful person. She was extremely helpful in recommending activites (and bear spray) and we spent quite a bit of time just relaxing and talking with her. My wife and I generally are not big social people but we couldn't help but end up in great conversations with Susan. She made us feel welcome and at home in the first five minutes we were there. One note: They do have several dogs - which we loved. If you're not an animal lover then maybe other places would be a better option. The biggest problem we had was preventing my wife from kidnapping one of them! Overall, we had a great experience in Montana, in Glacier National Park and suprisingly one of the main reasons was because we stayed at the Great Bear Inn. It is not for the camping crowd ($$) but if you like comfort and relaxation, awesome original food, and meeting friendly, helpful people, then the Great Bear Inn is a littel bit of heaven on earth. My wife said it best after we left: "It felt like staying with old friends...just friends you didn't know you had!"
Eric & Stacy Montgomery
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Great Bear Inn proudly provides deluxe lodging accommodations in a spectacular setting, surrounded by the grandeur of Glacier National Park. Choose from deluxe rooms in the main lodge or comfortable cabin accommodation on our property. The unspoiled beauty of Montana awaits you just outside our magnificent Inn. Glacier National Park is less than ten minutes away. Hiking, white water rafting, fishing, hunting (seasonal), and horseback riding - the recreation possibilities offered by Northwest Montana are endless and the beauty is unlike anything found anywhere. The Inn is tastefully decorated in a style consistent with our location at the doorstep of Glacier National Park. An Oversized Continental is provided each morning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Orbitz so you can book your The Great Bear Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Great Bear Hotel West Glacier
- The Great Bear Inn West Glacier, Montana