“The Only Game in Town”
Review of Belton Chalet

Belton Chalet
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in West Glacier
Reviewed November 6, 2009

The Belton Chalet is one of the few places to stay in West Glacier, and they know it. The rooms are shabby and tiny, the walls are paper thin, the noise from the street is loud, but the prices are those for a much classier and more luxurious hotel. The service alternated between grudging and indifferent, until I actually checked out at which point they were chatty, friendly, and helpful. Hmmm. They don't provide breakfast which means that you can buy their overpriced baked goods (they looked like they were bought in bulk from Costco) or walk down the highway to the cafe in the gas station for an overpriced breakfast. I wouldn't recommend the Belton unless you get a really good price. You'll be disappointed if you pay more than $60/night, here. Actually, you'll probably be disppointed no matter what you pay. And, beware their cancellation policy - less than two weeks and you are stuck with paying a lot of the room rate, even if you are only cancelling part of your stay.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 11, 2009

My husband and I decided to enjoy a weekend in Glacier National Park and chose this hotel based on its historic connection to the park. The Belton Chalet was constructed in 1910 by the Great Northern Railway, though the lodge building was built in 1913. The hotel property has been beautifully restored and when you walk through your room door, it is like stepping back in time! I believe that this hotel caters to a certain type of traveler; those who are interested in history and want to experience it. The rooms are small, the floors creak, noise travels easily between the hallway to the rooms, the bathrooms are tiny, and there are no TVs or telephones in the rooms. However, it all lends itself to an authentic experience.

For those who are familar with historic lodges, each room is equipped with a private bathroom. The bathrooms are small and only consist of a shower stall and toilet (the sink is in the room itself). When I called and made my reservation, I specifically asked the desk clerk about the bathroom situation and was told that when the hotel was renovated, bathrooms were installed in the room closets because when the hotel was originally built, bathrooms were shared.

Alarm clocks are not standard, though they can be requested at the front desk. Our room (#25) did not have a balcony and was on the back side of the lodge, so we never noticed the railroad noise throughout the night. The room was decorated with an antique dresser and two chairs. The bed came with four pillows: two soft and two firm. This meant that both guests could choose their idea of comfort.

In addition, the restaurant was excellent; my husband enjoyed the buffalo meatloaf, while my steak was one of the best I have ever had! The restaurant was very cozy and had almost a romantic atmosphere.

If you are looking for a large room and free continental breakfast, find lodging in Kalispell. However, if you are looking for an authentic experience with close proximity to Glacier National Park, the Belton Chalet is an incredible lodge!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Let me first say, I still like the Belton Chalet. They have a wonderful location, good food at the taphouse, and a great staff. However, my disappointment of the removal of the breakfast significantly changed my opinion about the chalet.

Our last visit (July 2006), a continental breakfast was served downstairs. Not that is was fantastic, but it was very good. The best part of it, was the ability to meet other guests and talk. It added to the ambiance of the chalet. Without the breakfast, the stay seemed like any other place.

I am still rating it very good because of the above mentioned factors, and they have some of the best beds for sleeping (at least for me) that I have been in. I just wished they would put the breakfast back in place. It was a real disappointment. I am not sure if I will return next time.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The chalet has been tenderly and lovingly refurbished and has proudly taken its place on the National Historic Register. The train-side rooms are great for those of us for whom the sound of a train slicing through the night is sweet. A little time zoning out in the rocking chairs on the deck helps deepen the relaxation and appreciation of this special spot at the edge of Glacier National Park's natural wonders.

The rooms are wonderfully spare and clean, the restoration masterful, the food is great and the bartender makes sure your glass of wine is at its best--part of the great hospitality we experienced. We were not treated like "tourists." but as welcome guests.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2009

The hotel is rustic, but clean and very nice. I see that some of the reviews are critical of the sounds of the trains, but that is the history of the place and that is what makes it unique.
The restaraunt was absolutely excellent. The chef, is the young lady running from downstairs to the rear of the restaurant doing a 4.4 forty with 9 thick juicy steaks on a plater. We had the duck appetizer that knocked our socks off. My wife had the bourban marinaded filet that was unique and perfect to the taste. I had the buffalo ribeye, and it not only was done to perfection but was hand selected for its flavor and taste. We were not expecting this, we just walked in on a suggestion from the front desk. The meal was the best we had on our trip.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

It's been 7 years since our last trip to Glacier & the Belton Chalet so we decided to rtn this year on a family trip. You can't visit the area & not stay here, it's a classic place w/a great restaurant. Our group had 2 rooms, one on the 2nd flr, facing the parking lot, at the top of the interior stairs which has a full/queen bed & sink in the room, toilet & shower in a separate room & writing desk. The other room was on the 2nd flr, street side & the last room at the end of the hall w/2 twin beds w/sink in the room, toilet & shower in separate room. The bonus to this room is the porch w/2 rocking chairs that look out to the road. Really liked sitting out there & drinking a cold one!

Things to consider: if your room is on the street side, beware that West Glacier is a Amtrak train stop so you will hear the train! The Chalet is right across the parking lot of the Amtrak stop. If your room is on the parking lot side, you will hear the cars of people leaving early in the AM or hear people getting picked up by the red touring cars, especially if you're on the 1st flr. Probably the lesser of the evils is a room on the 2nd flr, parking lot side, which we had. Our family in the other room said it was like the scene in My Cousin Vinny where the train comes by early in the AM. ha ha

The staff is very nice & is knowledgeable about the park. The rooms are clean & the place is neat & pretty. Enjoyed sitting in the quiet lobby reading about Glacier & looking at the local crafts in the case.

The last time here, we had a continental breakfast which I think has been discontinued. Too bad. There are the 2 single cabins available but have never been in them. And you have to try the restaurant, it's fabulous! Wonderful menu - try the meatloaf entree & huckleberry pie for dessert! You can read about the chef in a framed article from a local magazine that is on the 2nd flr. Really great food!

Chk their website for more pics. Chalet is highly recommended! And don't forget to buy one of their t-shirts.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2009

The Belton Chalet is our favorite place to dine in West Glacier. We had dinner there on the Labor Day weekend in 2009, and loved it. Service was a bit spotty, but at least we were not rushed. My wife had a filet mignon that was excellent, and I had the buffalo meatloaf (unique and tasty). They have a good wine list and a full bar. The ambience is rustic/funky, which suits us just fine.

We didn't stay - we just had dinner there. Oddly enough, TripAdvisor does not cover the restaurant in their listings.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cedar Creek Lodge & Conference Center
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
#4 of 17 in Whitefish

Been to Belton Chalet? Share your experiences!