“Historic hotel close to the west entrance of Glacier”
Review of Belton Chalet

Belton Chalet
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in West Glacier
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My family and I stayed at Belton Chalet for 3 nights.

First, a few things I wasn't impressed with:
I reserved three rooms many months in advance via telephone. When I arrived at the hotel, I was given the option to take all three keys, even though the rest of my family had not arrived yet. I took the keys to examine all three rooms but then gave two of them back so my family could collect them when they arrived. A few hours later, I knocked on the door of one of the rooms I was told was mine, and found another couple in it! When I went to the desk to ask what was going on, they told me I was given the wrong key to begin with. Very odd, especially since this second room was right next to ours. I'm also not sure why I wasn't informed of the mistake.

The floors creak and squeak no matter where you walk, although I suppose that is to be expected from a 100+ year-old hotel. I felt bad for the people in the room underneath ours as I got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, or really early in the morning before a hike. Anyone staying here should definitely ask for a second-floor room. The trains didn't bother me at all, although they do run all through the night as others have mentioned. The rooms are small and the bathrooms very tiny, but again, it's a historic hotel so I was expecting as much. Finally, I didn't have good cell phone reception but that's hardly the hotel's fault.

Now for the good stuff. The hotel is beautiful, and there really isn't anything better than sitting on the porch in the evening looking at the mountains. The fireplace in the lobby is wonderful, and it made for a great meeting area for my family to gather before heading out, or to talk. The restaurant had wonderful food and great service. The location of the hotel just can't be beat for it's proximity to the west Glacier entrance. The rooms were clean and they gave us plenty of towels. They offer free Wi-Fi, although there are no TV's, a/c or phone. They do provide plenty of electrical outlets, so if you are in need of TV or Internet just bring your own device(s). There is a gas station with a gift shop and restaurant within walking distance that we went to for breakfast and dinner a few times and the food there was decent. The pottery that they sell in the lobby is beautiful and I ended up buying some for my family as gifts. I would recommend Belton to family and friends on the conditions that they know it's not an upscale hotel with all the amenities.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ecco815

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The Belton Chalet is a lovely old place to stay when visiting Glacier - be warned about a couple of things though:
First, it is an old building and floors creak and the rooms are not soundproof.
Secondly, it is opposite a busy railroad and the trains are very loud (and they run all night). The staff provide earplugs should you need them (I didn't).
The rooms are small, but very charming and comfortable, each with their own bathroom. The rooms do have heating, but no air conditioning - though there is a desk fan provided. We stayed in June and it was still quite cool, but we didn't need heating or cooling in our room and it was quite pleasant. There is a large games room downstairs - ping pong, board games, books etc, and there is a lovely bistro in front of the chalet. It's also next door to a gas station and diner. I'd recommend the chalet to friends and family with the warnings I have mentioned above. Also, I would recommend a second floor room at the back end of the building (to reduce the noise).

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at Belton. Yes there is a train but if you are planning on staying in West Glacier that just seems to come with the territory and it is not like they are running constantly throughout the night. The cabin was roomy and comfortable with easy access to the Tap Room and Resturant. People were extremely friendly and helpful making recommendations for other activities. There are less expensive places to stay but this historic site is worth a night or two stay to enjoy beautiful Glacier National Park and the surrounding area.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank breazer24
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Belton Chalet is somewhat rustic but that is to be expected given its location and age. (It was built in 1910.. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and had a lovely meal. We'd recommend you eat there for convenience and the food. Our room was small but immaculate. Shower and toilets had been updated and the bath had nice fluffy towels. The room had an iron bed, ladderbacked chairs, and old oak dresser and an ancient fan. There was no air-conditioning, phone, radio or TV. But the room was fine. Big windows provided good sleeping. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Marilyn S
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I recently stayed in the Clark Cabin @ the Belton Chalet. The cabin was extremely roomy, clean, neat and quaint. I loved the propane fireplace; it provided more than adequant heat. The mini fridge & microwave came in very handy. The cabin was well stocked with cups, plates & silverware (as opposed to having to use disposable utensils). The winter rate was a real steal.

The bedrooms are nicely decorated and the beds were most comfortable. I especially enjoyed the writing desk facing the mountain. The view was spectacular.

While some people have commented about the noise from the trains passing by, I found this to be a non-issue. I live close to railroad tracks so I am accustomed to this sound of the trains.

Truly enjoyed the peace & quiet of this cabin. It was the perfect location for easy access to Glacier Park.

I enjoyed dinner at the Chalet's dining room. The food was well presented and tasty. I enjoyed the convenience of walking from the restaurant directly to the cabin.

Truly enjoyed this little piece of heaven in West Glacier.

Room Tip: Rent the cabin and enjoy the extra room & the front porch!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Glendawpb
Reviewed January 23, 2013

In the winter only the Lewis and Clark cabins are available (at a great rate!) unless the lodge opens for special events. NOTHING is open in West Glacier (Belton) which is wonderful. On Saturday night, however, the chalet dining room with an amazing chef serves unique and delicious food. The history of Glacier Nat'l Park, the remote setting, the railroad history, the gorgeous scenery is what you enjoy sans TV, telephone (cell service does work) or other modern annoyances. Light the fireplace, sip on your favorite beverage and read or visit. It's wonderful. Also, Christie, the general manager is available to take care of your every need including pick up and drop off at the Amtrak station. Here you really can "get away!"

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Louisfoote
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Our family stayed her during a trip to glacier park. We picked it because of the history. It is beautifully restored so that was fun. No TVs and pretty small rooms, travelers must have been much smaller 100 years ago! We were tight and the kids slept on the floor. No A/C so we could sleep with the windows open. It is by a train track, but I have found everything is by a train track in Montana. Ear plugs are provided. The on sight restaurant was really good. If your in to historical buildings you'll love it, if your not you'll think it's over priced.

• Stayed: August 2012
#2 of 13 in West Glacier
Glacier Outdoor Center
Glacier Outdoor Center
#4 of 13 in West Glacier

Been to Belton Chalet? Share your experiences!