“One bad thing after another...”

Holiday Inn Express Silver City
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Silver City
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Got back into town late and didn't want to disturb my temporary hosts so I checked into what should have been one of the better hotels in this small town as it is one of the newer ones. I had just sold my house and been out of town for awhile so I needed a place to stay for a night. When I checked in and presented my drivers license, I was told that they don't rent to locals, which flabberghasted and angered this tired soul after a long day of driving. I asked the front desk person if he was kidding and he assured me that he wasn't but changed his mind after I started leaving the lobby. I was relieved but ungrateful due to the initial unnecessary shock. The room was overpriced (over $100) and I was in 204 on the second of three floors. It was before midnight by the time I settled in and could hear the TV in the next room so I turned on my TV, which was preset to Fox News at volume level 15. I know it was preset because I immediately changed the channel from this angry harping propaganda drivel spectacle and it came on again in the morning, same channel, same volume level. The room was cold so I turned on the window-mounted heater/cooler (no climate control for over $100) and went to bed. About 3 AM I was awakened by creaking noises coming from the ceiling caused by guests above me moving in their room. This went on all night and into the morning and was really quite loud (a friend confirmed this in the morning). At about 4 AM I woke up again (from a very light and labored sleep) because the room was way too hot so I turned the a/c on. The bed wasn't bad, kinda hard and the pillows small and cheap. Not much of a comforter on the bed. I didn't sleep worth a darn with the room temp and noise, maybe two hours. So, the good things about the room include above average bathroom amenities and a nice shower head with good flow. Noticed a few black curly hairs stuck on the bathroom wall but I'm used to this in all levels of accomodations. Overall it was a clean place. The breakfast area downstairs was well apportioned and the coffee was decent. I would give it a "poor" if the room came in under $100 but a hotel like this is supposed to be a place to sleep and this hotel was an epic fail in this regard. Didn't much appreciate the lame attempt at management [the company?] propagandizing thier patrons with Fox News, either. This channel was also blaring in the breakfast area, by the way.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room to avoid the loud creaking ceiling if you must stay here. Good luck if you...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Ricomalo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Silver City, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2012

Ricomalo,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed February 27, 2012

The creaking floor above me kept me up all night. Request the 3rd floor for your stay.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed at this Holiday Inn for two days in February and enjoyed the room and the included breakfast. It is located on the edge of town, just off of the highway. This is a very quiet location. The room was nice, and the heater unit worked well and was quiet. My only complaint is that the bathroom shower had some wear and tear, but everything worked fine and the water was hot. No major complaints and I will stay here again if I am in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor mid-way between the elevator and stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This was our first stay in Silver City, and our fist time staying at a Holiday Inn. Because we have three kids we stayed in the Double Queen suite and our room was on the top floor. I can't comment on the standard rooms. Our suite was rather spacious and also had a foldout sofa bed for 1 person. The queen beds were comfortable however the foldout bed would be uncofortable for adults. Our 3 year old slept on the foldout and was fine. The suite also has 2 television sets, a small fridge and a microwave. Overall it was a nice, quiet, comfortable room. The bathrooms are a bit dated, but clean. Nothing really to complain about. The hotel was somewhate empty when we were there, so it was very quiet. The front door didn't seem to block out the hallway noise very well, but it wasn't a problem for us since there weren't many people around. The breakfast offered a good assortment of cold and hot dishes. We found it suited our needs very well having 3 kids. I'd stay at this hotel again if I came back to Silver City.

Room Tip: Double queen suites are very spacious for families and/or multiple people.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Just returned from a trip to Silver City for work. It seems kind of strange that a hotel that is obviously frequented by people working in the area doesn't have refrigerators or microwaves in the rooms--you have to stay in the "suite" to get that luxury. I like to keep snack, soft drinks and breakfast food because I'm diabetic. The room was clean but kind of plain, the bed was okay, the pillows are horrible--but nicely labeled "firm" or "soft". The walls are THIN making it hard to sleep if someone is stomping across their floor overhead or there's a party in the room next door. I found the staff to be very helpful--including Millie. She was very nice to me when I needed change. There are probably better places to stay, but HIE isn't bad.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We came to Silver Citiy as our jumping off point to visit the Gila Cliff Dwellings. We are a family of 3 and were warmly welcomed to this very clean, nicely decorated facility. The rooms were large and the air conditioner worked perfectly. The morning breakfast was terrific, with a huge variety of offerings: eggs, sausage, pancakes, muffins, biscuits and gravy. Everyone was very pleasant, including the lovely breakfast room lady.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor (3rd); and it wasn't terribly noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2011

This is my second stay at this hotel while traveling statewide for work. On the first stay (same time last year) I was told I could not stay in the "suite" I had reserved because I was traveling with my dog and it was this HIE's policy to keep the suites "pet-free" - I was told this was posted on the website - it was/is not. Never mind, since the "suite" was a standard king room with a single counter holding a microwave and dorm-style mini-refrigerator, while my "non-suite" was identical, but without the counter top. On the first stay the staff was disinterested, the hot breakfast was HIE expected fare, the wireless internet was slow, the bed was miserably uncomfortable, the walls were thin with hallway/room/ceiling noise at all hours, and the room was a mix of left-over dated furniture and HIE products.
I am currently at this hotel for a second stay. Remembering the pet-room drama I phoned ahead and during registration I requested a refrigerator and microwave to be put in the king standard room I would be staying in (warning: not all rooms have these appliances), it was not here upon arrival. Although the appliances are here now - they are about 10 yr+ old appliances - the refrigerator freezes everything regardless of temp setting and the microwave will cook if the time is set about 2x that of the package instructions.
The staff is remains apathetic, wireless internet is still slow/weak signal, the bed is, again, terribly uncomfortable, and my current room is "handicap accessible" - so the clothing rack is 3 ft off the floor (my hanging clothes are puddled on the floor), the (mini) ironing board is for table-top use (with the only hard surface to put it on being the floor - I'm ironing while on my knees on the floor), and the bathroom does not have the standard HIE shower head, but instead has a cheap plastic hand held sprayer.
I have no one but myself to blame for this second, disappointing/frustrating, stay. This hotel is "independently owned and operated" and does not meet even the most basic HIE standards. I will not stay here again and I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in this area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business