“A local perspective”
Review of Alotta Gelato - CLOSED

Alotta Gelato
Good for: Families with children
Description: New Mexico's oldest gelato shop, serving home made gelato (Italian ice cream) and fresh-baked desserts. Featured in Fodor's, Frommer's, Moon Guides, and Travel section of the NY Times! Located in Silver City's historic Arts & Cultural District, Alotta Gelato is open 7 days a week from Noon to 9:00 PM (Sun-Thu), or Noon to 10:00 PM (Fri-Sat). Both indoor and outdoor seating is available, and we can pack your purchase 'to go.' Ask about our dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free flavors. Find us on Facebook!
Reviewed December 17, 2010

I've been to Gelato enough times to give a 'more than once' perspective. And I've had gelato in many communities in the US. Alotta is a solid gelato store. The ambiance is sparse, but its a gelato shop not fine dining. They'll let you sample your way through the entire selection if you want so there's no need to say you didn't like what you had. Conversation is always as much or as little as you want - we tend to like to hear what's going on in town. And prices are more than fair. Anyone who says they left and went to Dairy Queen to get better is on crack...even if you don't like what you had, the suggestion that soft serve is better speaks volumes about the reviewers tastes. Anyway, the conglomerate is my favorite as is the Romeo and Juliet. My eyes always want the large size but my stomach prefers the small.

3  Thank Rob C

Reviewed December 16, 2010

After reading good reviews, we tried Alotta Gelato. It was amazingly terrible and high priced. After one taste, I threw out my gelato and went down the street for a Dairy Queen cone. Frost in Tucson, is an example of great gelato that is well worth the money.

1  Thank az_tripping
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2010

1. We gladly provide free tastes of any of our flavors; the reviewer doesn't indicate which flavors he/she ordered, but was always welcome to sample them, both before and after making a purchase.

2. If the reviewer was dissatisfied he/she should have let us know at that time; we would have happily exchanged what he/she ordered for something he/she preferred, or provided a refund-- no questions asked. We understand that not everyone will enjoy our product-- this doesn't mean it is 'horrible'.

3. Our prices are lower than any other gelato shop we have heard of-- including the one in Tucson that the reviewer mentioned; our Child-Size is $1.75 and our Regular is $2.49; their smallest size (Piccolo) is $3.72... and our portion size is considerably bigger than theirs, too.

Reviewed November 27, 2010

When I go to a restaurant, I'm looking for good food, good value, good service and good atmosphere. When I go to a gelato place, I want good gelato. I'm not planning to sit around for an hour or two... don't care too much about atmosphere and service - I want good gelato.

This place has good gelato. The owner clearly prides himself on his creations. They are free with tasting scoops, so there is no reason to be disatisfied with your selection. They will also give you two varieties in a cup if you ask - even three in the larger size. The prices are actually quite low for homemade gelato compared with other places around the US.

The owner is an interesting guy. He has strong opinions - he won't push them on you, but if you engage him he will respond with lively conversation if there are no customers waiting. Some folks might find his personality a little strong, but we enjoyed our talks with him.

2  Thank 67morninglory
Reviewed October 16, 2010

After reading the reviews, we were expecting this to be great. We were a little disappointed. The gelato wasn't bad, but I've had better. I really love finding a homemade, local product, and this is the real deal in that regard. The owners were serving when we were there, and they are very helpful and gracious. The flavor that really let us down was the lemon; it tasted like lemonade mix instead of like real lemon. The other flavors we tried were better. If we go here again, we will probably ask for sample tastes to find the best picks of the flavors.

MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2010

We encourage our customers to sample our flavors before deciding which ones to enjoy; with so many to choose from, we want each customer to be happy with their purchase. If a customer is less than satisfied with their choice for*any*reason, we will happily exchange it for something more to their liking, or provide a refund if requested.

Reviewed July 17, 2010

Food was ok. Prices are unbearably high, even taking the location into consideration. Service was definitely unacceptable and the owners really need to improve their interactions with their customers. Next time a smile would be a great replacement for their unfriendly grunts. Hope this helps!

MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2010

I'm not certain that this person is referring to the right place.

First: our prices are lower than any other gelato shop in the state. Our cups of gelato start at $1.75 for a child-size (which we will serve to anyone, not just children) and progress upward from a regular (3.5 oz. cup). for $2.49, to medium (5.6 oz) for $3.49, and large (7 oz.) for $4.49... and we haven't raised these prices (other than tax increases) for more than 4 years. I hope that the customer is aware that our product is made fresh in our store; our customers happily pay for a home-made product.

Second: I am puzzled by the 'racist' allegation. I happen to be Caucasian, but two of my three valued employees are Hispanic-- so just which race are we supposed to be discriminating against?