“Great Gelato!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alotta Gelato - CLOSED

Alotta Gelato
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New Mexico's oldest gelato shop, serving home made gelato (Italian ice cream) and fresh-baked desserts. Featured in Fodor's, Frommer's, Moon Guides, and Travel section of the NY Times! Located in Silver City's historic Arts & Cultural District, Alotta Gelato is open 7 days a week from Noon to 9:00 PM (Sun-Thu), or Noon to 10:00 PM (Fri-Sat). Both indoor and outdoor seating is available, and we can pack your purchase 'to go.' Ask about our dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free flavors. Find us on Facebook!
Howell, Michigan
“Great Gelato!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

I had the "Bounty". Chocolate and Coconut, great combination! Very tasty! A must stop and enjoy while in Silver City!

Visited April 2014
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thanks! We're glad you liked us. One of the things that makes our Bounty coconut & chocolate flavor so good is that there is some hazelnut added to provide some crunch.

New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

We were surprised to find authentic gelato in such a small town. The people are friendly. The ambience is a bit confusing, however, or I would have given it 5 stars.

• Visited April 2014
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thanks for coming by. Don't be surprised that authentic gelato is available in our small town-- we have been in business longer than any other gelato shop in the state of New Mexico!

I'm confused about your comment saying that our ambiance is confusing. Our ambiance is quite straightforward...for Silver City, anyway. ;)
Silver City, New Mexico
“Good gelato & have sugar-free flavors”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

A nice little gelato shop in a small town. What I like is that there are generally 2 different flavors of sugar-free gelato that I can choose from. My preference is the sugar-free chocolate, but they haven't had it available on my last couple of visits. The folks are friendly and helpful and the serving is a nice size. If you are ok with sugar, you'll have a lot more options to choose from.

• Visited April 2014
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for your review. We think it's very important to have some sugar-free choices because our town has a significant diabetic population-- we want to serve them, too. If you don't see any sugar-free chocolate, be sure to ask us about it-- we rotate our three sugar-free flavors, but we often have some available in our storage freezer and would be happy to bring it out for you. (Now that our display case has been repaired after nearly three months of pain, we're ramping up production and should soon have a full complement of flavors available.)
LAS CRUCES
“This is a wonderful place for gelato”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

There are about thirty flavors and in three days we tried one each day. I really liked the expresso, but the mango was good, too. The interior is quite plain. There are about three or four tables with oil cloth tablecloths. One can sit there and eat one's gelato or take one's cup of gelato outside. There are three sizes--small, medium, and large. We found the medium a nice size to share. That came to $4.03 with tax. There is also a nearby outdoor seating area, sort of like a park, but no grass. The gelato is made there every day. The shop is open from noon every day until about 10 pm. The owner is very talkative and full of local information. They also sell coffee for only $1.09 a cup (decaf or regular) and a few pastries.

• Visited March 2014
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Talkative? Me??? Why, I'll have you know that in some circles I am considered to be downright taciturn! ;)
Gonzales, TX
“Yum!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

My family and I had never had gelato before stepping into this quaint gelato shop. The owner was very kind to explain the difference between gelato and ice cream. We loved the gelato so much we returned the next day for a second scoop. My son said he will never eat ice cream again. We are now gelato fans! If it passes the eight year old boys taste test, you know it it good! I highly recommend stopping by.....more than once!

Visited March 2014
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thanks for your review! Kids can be picky eaters sometimes, so I am doubly pleased to know that my gelato is something the whole family can enjoy. Thanks again!