“Alotto Yumm-o”
Review of Alotta Gelato - CLOSED

Alotta Gelato
Good for: Families with children
Description: New Mexico's oldest gelato shop, serving home made gelato (Italian ice cream) and fresh-baked desserts. Featured in Fodor's, Frommer's, Moon Guides, and Travel section of the NY Times! Located in Silver City's historic Arts & Cultural District, Alotta Gelato is open 7 days a week from Noon to 9:00 PM (Sun-Thu), or Noon to 10:00 PM (Fri-Sat). Both indoor and outdoor seating is available, and we can pack your purchase 'to go.' Ask about our dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free flavors. Find us on Facebook!
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“Alotto Yumm-o”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Consistently delic gelato. Owner is very hands on and involved with creating a great, tasty frozen treat. I always look forward to a snack and conversation with Mitch.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Pilot V
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you very much for the words of praise! One important note: "hands on" in this context does *not* mean that I put my hands on my customers! (On the other hand, my wife/co-owner is a world-class hugger!)

Tucson, Arizona
“Great desert or anytime”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We always make a point of stopping here whenever we are in Silver City. Great place. Good eats. Friendly owner. 5 stars

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank elrobo47
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Welcome back to Silver City! Always nice to hear from a repeat customer!
Tempe. AZ
“Kind of pricey but good!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

It would be a great place to hang out. The atmosphere was very laid back and I noticed a shelf with board games. The gelato was the best I've ever had. I usually don't like gelato, but I really liked theirs. Actually it was hard to decided what to get. I sampled 3 flavors and liked all of them.

Visited March 2013
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thanks, I guess. You liked the atmosphere, you enjoyed all the flavors you tried, and you said that the gelato was the best you'd ever tasted...yet you decided to title your review "Kind of pricey but good!!” I walk on water, and you complain because I apparently can't swim! :)

We have raised our prices only once in the past 7 years; I challenge you to find any other gelato shop within 300 miles of Silver City that can make that claim. Bring me a receipt from a gelato shop in your home town for a regular size cup of gelato, have the shop indicate on it what the portion size was, and if it is cheaper than mine I'll give you double the price we charge.
Silver City, New Mexico
“yummy gelato”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Gelato worth the trip. Flavors to suit all kinds of tastes. Butter pecan to die for. Every one I have tried over the years since it opened has been delicious.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank westernmouse
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your continued devotion to our store!
“Huge portions!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Great variety and options, my husband was skeptical but loved the chocolate! They give you huge portions ( me and my 3 yr old barley finished half of the small size!) great service! Enjoy!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank dairyberrys
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We're glad you enjoyed our gelato. Yes, our portions are big (after all, we're Alotta Gelato, not Alittle Gelato, right?), but there is another factor involved: since gelato has less air whipped into it, it is denser and more filling. We occasionally suggest a smaller size if the customer appears to be getting in over his/her head, but some folks like to "go big" anyway!