“Fun and Yummy!”
Review of Alotta Gelato - CLOSED

Alotta Gelato
Good for: Families with children
Description: New Mexico's oldest gelato shop, serving home made gelato (Italian ice cream) and fresh-baked desserts. Featured in Fodor's, Frommer's, Moon Guides, and Travel section of the NY Times! Located in Silver City's historic Arts & Cultural District, Alotta Gelato is open 7 days a week from Noon to 9:00 PM (Sun-Thu), or Noon to 10:00 PM (Fri-Sat). Both indoor and outdoor seating is available, and we can pack your purchase 'to go.' Ask about our dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free flavors. Find us on Facebook!
San Diego, California
“Fun and Yummy!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Wow! This is great stuff. We had the chocolate. Way better than ice cream. You know how ice cream sometimes seems to coat your mouth with wax? None of that with Gelato. Just pure cold goodness with lots of flavor. And to think they make it all right here. Reasonalbly priced, we thiink.

The place is fun, too. If it's not too busy you can chat with the owner. He's a very interesting guy as you can tell from reading his website for Allota Gelato. And look at the photos and posters in and outside the shop. We like the one about how to create community.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Art-Roxanne
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thanks, guys-- glad you liked us! BTW: the "How to Build Community" poster is available at www.northernsun.com. Come back soon!

Silver City, New Mexico
“Where else??”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Where else can one find homemade gelato but in the town of Silver City, New Mexico? As a local, we try to frequent Alotta Gelato often. It is family friendly with lots of seating, open spaces, and friendly folks. Their many flavors offer many choices. The owners even make sure there are lactose and sugar free offerings. Where else can you enjoy a tasting before your order?

• Visited October 2012
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
<speaks in Elvis voice>Thank yuh! Thank yuh ver' much!
“Not child friendly!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've been here once with my child. His father is from silver so we come from time to time to visit his dads side of the family. I saw this place and coming from Phoenix where we have lots of gelato places I was excited to try it. Upon entering the store before we could even order or look and see what they had to offer the man working( not sure is maybe the owner) was so rude to my son and myself that I was not even able to try or see what they had to offer. I have never dealt with anyone who is so unprofessional and not tolerant of a two year old just being a two year old. And no I am not the mom who lets her child run a muck. I think maybe he assumed we were not gonna buy anything but how could we he would not even let us talk or look at the flavors. I told him no need to be rude or standoffish, and we were gonna purchase something but forget it after that. Anyone who can be so inhumane to a patron should not deserve to have any buisness at all. After all what adult or child does not like ice-cream or a good gelato? Rude.

MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
As the saying goes, there are two sides to every story.

As a rule, I don't generally talk to two-year-olds unless they initiate the conversation; I talk to the adult(s) who brought them, as they are the decision-makers as to what size and flavors the child should have, and can usually interpret the child's speech better than I. The only reason I can think of where I would in fact talk to a child of that age was if he/she was misbehaving and her parent or guardian didn't notice (or didn't care about) the misbehavior.

We have signs clearly posted that read: "This store is *not* child-proof. For the safety and comfort of all our guests, we ask that young children remain seated and are supervised at all times."

I'm sure that you cherish your child, but what you consider "a two year old just being a two year old" would strike others as a child undergoing the "terrible twos." In the back of my store I have a decorative screen that is no longer used because a young child knocked it over onto herself and tore it beyond repair...and when this occurred, her parents picked up the child and left without a word-- or an offer to pay for the damage. This is one reason why the signs are posted.

I don't recall the incident you mention, but if you and your child are the ones I'm thinking of, be advised that after you left, several of our other guests told me how glad they were that they could now continue to enjoy their gelato without further disturbance.
New Mexico
“Homemade delights”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Lots of flavors make decisions difficult, but you can always go back for more. This is a very friendly, good-natured, bright and spacious place to get away from the summer heat for a few minutes. Their music selections were not the New Mexico norm as we sat and listed to international Argentine tangos. Great experience.

Visited August 2012
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thanks, folks!

The Argentine tangos are but one of dozens of CDs from the Putumayo World Music label. I have been collecting their releases for about 20 years now, and each is better than the next! We like the Putumayo stuff so much that we sell it in the store. Come back soon and we'll play something else for you that you're sure to enjoy!
Silver City, New Mexico
“Not 'Regular' Ice Cream”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Silver City doesn't have much in the way of ice cream stands. But Allota Gelato is a great alternative! Friendly counter staff offer taste selections of their many varieties. I always take out-of-town company there to enjoy this unique desert. As for me, if it's not chocolate, it's not desert... and their chocolate gelato is EXCELLENT!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Alan R
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thanks for the kudos, and thanks for bringing other folks to us!

Your review title mentions 'regular' ice cream. It's interesting to see how people react to our product before trying it (or how they react to anything unfamiliar to them). Some have even said: "Don't you have any 'NORMAL' ice cream?" I guess that depends on your definition of 'normal'-- the Italians were making this stuff well before this continent was colonized, so if anybody should have the right to call their stuff 'normal' it should be them. Fortunately, once the skeptics have a sample or two, they change their tune pretty fast!

Thanks again!