“Best Cinnamon Roll Ever ”

Diane's Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #1 of 80 Restaurants in Silver City
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

I am visiting my parents in Silver City and we walked around town. We stopped in at Diane's Bakery. They had quite a few goodies in their case. I chose a cinnamon roll. It was huge - split it with my mom. The outside was flakey and perfect. It was wonderful.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were referred to this restaurant by locals and it was an excellent choice. Got there at 6:30 without reservations & were lucky to get a table. We had the salmon special & a filet on the servers recommendation and they were good choices. The wine suggestions complemented the meal also. The wait staff was informative, the setting was comfortable. Would recommend based on our experience.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I went in alone to this restaurant today and found it inviting and a comfortable environment. It had been recommended by a local friend who had lived for decades in Silver City. They had free wifi which I appreciated. I ordered the grilled tuna salad, but when I asked the server( short dark hair) if she could substitute a couple other veggies on the salad for the mushrooms and tomatoes listed, she got irritated and actually told me I should order something else. I had to stop by own temper from getting the best of me and walking out. She did bring the salad out and the substitutions were made and it must be said it was a great salad.. it was just what I needed. Perhaps changes in the menu are not appreciated or this server had a bad day or they dont like solo eaters.. I'm not sure which it was but it did impact the pleasantness of the entire experience. If not for the server I would have given this restaurant a 4 or possibly even a 5, especially if the service had been great. They did better down the street at the GoldenStar Chinese as far as service.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Would have liked to have been able to choose one of the bakery breads they make instead of a roll for my sandwich. The rolls were just ok, Too much bread for me. Good cheese selections. Could be more veg options and types of dressings for the sandwich.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Ate here on 8/31/13 for dinner. My wife had spanakopita for an appetizer, and said it was a 3 or a 4, I just munched on the bread they bring to the table- which was quite good, but a tad sweeter than my tastes prefer. The sun started to set and the restaurant sits curbside, so the rays were streaming off the cars parked outside and into the restaurant. I asked them to draw the blind- but they didn't have a blind on the door. Huh? This place has been around for a while- is in the middle of a desert region where the sun shines almost every day, and no one ever thought to put a blind on the door? Anyways, they put a tablecloth over it which worked so all was good.

I ordered the filet mignon special with melted gorgonzola cheese, mashed potatoes, asparagus and a blueberry reduction. The blueberry worked quite well with the gorgonzola. The meat was cooked perfectly, and the asparagus was perfect as well. I give it 4 stars, as I eat this filet/gorgonzola combo quite often and restaurants, and a creative chef will make a thick sauce with the gorgonzola rather than just put a chunk on top of the meat and serve it. The potatoes could have had a bit more seasoning as well. Was a $30.00 entrée, and they pulled it off pretty well.

My wife, on the other hand, was disappointed. She ordered pasta with marinara sauce. Marinara sauce is really hard to mess up- but after she said something I tasted it, and I have had better out of a $2.00 jar of pasta sauce. Just tasted like tomatoes- no hint of olive oil, or onion, or fresh herbs- just tomatoes. They would do their customers a favor by removing this from the menu. It amazes me that a restaurant that can pull of the filet entrée with complex and sublime flavors can't make a marina sauce. Too bad. This could have been a four star review, but sadly, just barely squeaked out a 3 on the strength of the filet entrée.

We wouldn't return here, though, given the price versus the quality- happy to pay good money for a good meal- but if you are going to charge $15.00 for a bowl of pasta with marinara sauce it had better be a 4 or 5 star dish. A typical olive garden charges 2/3 the price and blows these guys away. So, in closing, I can't recommend this place- I want to based on my entrée, but the overall experience just didn't measure up.