Tripadvisor
Silver City
Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great building and good local history coverage

Very good coverage of the local mining past. Great views from the third floor cupola. Good coverage... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Bruce W
El Paso, Texas
Good small museum that covers the area

This museum is located in an historical house that has served many different purposes over the... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
MisterPenguin
Powell, Ohio
via mobile

All reviews gift shop old house local history big ditch changing exhibits first floor main street small town cupola donation photos victorian volunteers information admission settlers artifacts
Selected filters
Reviewed October 18, 2019 via mobile

Always like to stop at local museums, this one had great old photos and history. It is very small and entrance is donation with a suggestion of $5 per. However, no way to get change so take small bills.

Date of experience: October 2019
1  Thank Audra S
Reviewed August 12, 2019 via mobile

There’s something for everyone in this little museum: Native stories, settler stories, kid-size tea party, cowboy equipment, mining and technology of the day ... I was particularly impressed with how well women’s history was portrayed.

If you didn’t already catch the story of The Big Ditch, do it here. Hint:
Mother Nature > poor city planning

And yes, you can go all the way up into the Cupola!

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed August 4, 2019 via mobile

Quite a bit of reading to learn the history of Silver City. Some very good displays. But arguably uneven. The house is a treat. Good gift shop. We enjoyed it.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed July 22, 2019

Wherever we go, our first stop is always the local Museum or a Historical Society place of exhibition. Before we explore the area/town further, we like to have some background on its beginnings, culture, and past. So, our first day in Silver City, we came here, and found lots of information housed in this 1881 building.

As you enter, there is the best Gift Shop to the left. They have so many interesting books about this area, plus all sorts of unique gifts to bring home. I bought some postcards (they, also, sell postcard stamps), and my husband bought a book about Silver City. Then, we wandered around the first floor, went up to the second (steep stairs), and my husband even went up to the cupola (even steeper stairs). There are various exhibits, as well as very many information boards. It has become difficult standing in place, reading those boards, for a longer length of time, so, now, I take photos with my iPad, and we read many of them at home/hotel.

Admission is by donation (suggested $5.00 each), and there is a tree shaded parking lot in the back. The day we went, was very hot (7/18), and it was quite warm inside this Museum, especially on the second floor.

Date of experience: July 2019
2  Thank NYU62
Reviewed July 11, 2019

Very nice, small museum. In my opinion it was well worth the hour or so spent there. I have been going through SC since the early 80's on my way to the Gila for camping and backpacking, but had never stopped at the museum. Don't make my mistake. Stop and learn a bit about the town and its culture. Pricing was by donation.

Date of experience: July 2019