“Why Stay Anywhere Else”
Review of Murray Hotel

Murray Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Silver City
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We loved everything about our 3 night stay at the Murray. Our comfortable 4th floor corner room was light and airy ~ the bed was perfect, the decor elegant. The glass blocks in the bathroom exterior wall added to the olden days atmosphere. We were stepping back in time but with state-of-the-art conveniences. And quiet too ~ everything settles down early in Silver City. Not having a TV added to that delicious night time silence.

As the hotel dining room is still one of the parts to be renovated, we were given a voucher for breakfast at a restaurant within easy walking distance. Breakfast was excellent ~ and everything is within walking distance: at least 3 outstanding restaurants where the quality of food is astonishing for this size town. Accordingly, we had 3 memorable dinners. And there are many very good smaller places for lunch, breakfast and snacks ~ we ate ourselves silly!

But we were always on the go ~ visited countless art galleries and antique stores, hiked up Boston Hill, explored the college campus. We took day trips, too: the cliff dwellings, the hot springs, another hike with a local Apache guide.

And so lovely to return after our various outings to our room at The Murray ~ a true sanctuary. The staff is wonderful ~ friendly, cheerful, helpful, informed. We especially enjoyed talking with Debbie the night manager. Oh, I almost forgot: the coffee in the lobby every morning is really really good!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Murray Hotel

Reviewed April 25, 2013

5 million bucks and 7 years of rehab help the downtown 1930's Murray Hotel shine. Friendly, informative staff add to the inviting atmosphere. Additional pluses - quiet, super location, with a $5 discount for breakfast only a block away, tastefully decorated, clean rooms. Highly recommended over the chains out on the strip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is an old hotel that has been remodeled and brought up to date with a vintage look and feel. The elevator is suitable but might be slow if you load up the valet with heavy suitcases and your entire party ride up with it. The room was clean and comfortable. We loved the mahogany doors There were three of us and we choose a room with a pull out sofa bed. The beds are pretty good. I didn't care for the thick stiff pillows but I still got a good night sleep. The windows open to the night air and the area is pretty quite. Only heard a dog barking. Parking is on the street and we found a place right out front.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We spent our anniversary in this splendid setting! What great service and perfect accomodations. The room was elegant and views of the sun rise wonderful. Our three night stay near the spectacular Gila National Forest made for a great experience for our get away! I will recommend it to anyone going that way!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marzex, Owner at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Geodejohn,

Firstly, Congratulations to you both on celebrating 29 wonderful years together. You are an absolutely delightful couple and we so enjoyed hosting you. Secondly, thank you so much for allowing us at The Murray Hotel to be a part of your special celebration. I thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We do take great pride in our property and we strive each and every day to provide exemplary service to all of our guests. It is very rewarding for the staff to receive such lovely comments and positive feedback. Your review made our day and we thank you very much!

On behalf of the entire crew here at The Murray Hotel, we again wish you a hearty Congratulations and extend a warm invitation to return when you repeat your vows on your 30th anniversary next year. We love being a small part of your love story.
Please feel free to contact me personally if I may be of further assistance.

Kindest Regards,
Julianna
Owner/Murray Hotel

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I came down here for a quick stay (son sports event) and I found the Murray Hotel using a Cybermap tool. The one thing this place really needs is better marketing. For what I spent for a night, I was expecting a lot less than what I got. Yes, the final renovations are not complete, but the owners put their money and set their priorities in the right place. My bedroom was immaculate. Small, slightly larger than an old-school Manhattan commuter hotel, but clean, well-appointed, and functional. I am sitting in the high-back chair in my composing this review. The bed was comfy and contributed to a solid night's sleep.

I also chose a room without a TV; I would recommend the hotel keep one section like this; it's so quiet I can hear myself think.

What the hotel also did was network with fellow local establishments to cover their shortcoming, i.e. no restaurant. I had a killer breakfast (see other review) and the Murray provided me a voucher for a discount.

To the Murray owners; consider making the restaurant area in your hotel into a function room/lounge; there wasn't a place in town I'd set foot in (at least what I saw in walking distance), but there were a handful of eating establishments that looked worth checking out.

Room Tip: I had a high up, corner. windows on two walls made it very pleasant.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SF_JET_18
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Work is not complete but the hotel still a good place to stay. They currently give a voucher for breakfast at a nearby restaurant. We will certainly stay there again. The ladies at the desk were most helpful

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Very nice, very clean renovated hotel--staying there made our Valentine's Day get away wonderful. We have always enjoyed Silver City, but, staying at the Murray made this trip the best. Staying downtown allowed us to walk everywhere, and the hotel staff shined in making our visit special. They worked hard to get us reservations at our favorite Silver City restaurant, Diane's, so we had a wonderfully romantic stay in a lovely hotel. Even though all renovations are not complete, I would highly recommend staying at this lovely glimpse into Silver City's past.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple