“Amazing Meal!”
Review of Curious Kumquat - CLOSED

Curious Kumquat
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: James Beard nominated eclectic restaurant featuring fast, fresh and affordable lunches, and modernist foraged tasting dinners.
Lake Forest, Illinois
“Amazing Meal!”
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I was very delighted with the Curious Kumquat, which I understand just started serving hot dinners for dine-in. They use only local foods. The meal was prix fixe and well worth the price; I have paid more for mediocre food which is always frustrating, but when a meal is excellent, I enjoy splurging. I chose the pork belly blue corn tacos as my main dish. The first item brought out was bread, butter, and olives. Really good olives. Next was avocado ice cream with Mesquite blini (I think I'm spelling that right). All I can say again is delicious. Also there was amuse bouche - parsley sugar disc with local bee pollen and lavender. Next was the chimayo soup which the server said was sort of like a squash soup. Whatever it was, I loved it. Then came the tacos. The pork is cooked sous-vide style for 24 hours. The blue corn tortillas I believe are made in house. Other than not being quite sure how to eat these and I kind of made a mess, I was very very happy with this entree. The crema avocado that accompanied the tacos especially stood out.
Then, the dessert! A warm chocolate cake. Yum.

The service was wonderful. I stumbled across this restaurant from an ad in my hotel, and am very glad I did. They also have a shop with many international foods available for purchase. I hope this restaurant flourishes and locals and travelers alike discover it!

2 Thank skyeport

st louis
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't miss the experience!”
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I lunch there a couple of times a week - love the ethnic variety - never disappointed. Shop is wonderful and comes with 'helpful' tips. And, don't miss the homemade sweets! To die for! MaggyP

1 Thank maggyp0711