“Not Expected”
Review of Curious Kumquat - CLOSED

Curious Kumquat
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: James Beard nominated eclectic restaurant featuring fast, fresh and affordable lunches, and modernist foraged tasting dinners.
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Had read reviews and still was skeptical. My wife and I had dinner there two weeks ago.
Consider ourselves foodies and this meal ranks highly along with fine/creative dining in any large
city. Had the rabbit which was cooked superbly and wife's lamb was cooked perfectly medium rare.
The accompanying courses were all excellent and used creative ingredients foraged from around
the area. Diverse wine and Beer list makes for a special night of dining.

1  Thank lonelobo

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We went down to Silver City for a birthday weekend getaway because I had heard that this restaurant was just nominated for a James Beard Award. It was a long (and beautiful) drive, and well worth it. We did the 5 course chef's tasting menu and were absolutely blown away by what this guy does with food. Food that he forages from the Gila National Wilderness every morning no less! His take is interesting and fresh, the portions were perfect so that you don't walk away stuffed, and you'll never find food like this anywhere else...just because it comes out of the desert alpine forest. As a special treat, the chef personally serves your desert, and is very keen to chat with you about it all. The wait staff was very knowledgeable and friendly, and we can't wait to go back. This is fine dining in an ultra casual environment, so wear your jeans!

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Todays smoked salmon bisque is terrific, and the 4-Layer Chocolate Mousse Cake is amazing. Quick service, and the patio is exquisite.

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

The most underrated state in the United States has one of its most innovative restaurants. Chef Rob Connoley puts together an innovative, creative and always delicious combination of little-heard of, local ingredients. Save room for the dessert: it is the icing on the cake
Well worth the trip to Silver City, especially if you hike the Gilda Wilderness - worth as well a trip on its own

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I wasn't going to bother writing a review as this incredible, fascinating restaurant is already rated number 1 in Trip Advisor. After last nights culinary experience I was curious to read what others had to say about Curious Kumquat and the presentation by owner/chef Rob. All of the top reviews are right on, anything below a 5 is just silly. Did someone really make a negative comment about the paper napkins at lunch. Please. OK if I was a big hunking guy I probably could have eaten another lamb chop but the innovation of the tasting menu and the thought and care that went into the meal was nothing like I've experienced. Was Alice Waters this excited about her culinary vision when she started cooking for an audience? I won't repeat all the wonderful things that the positive reviewers have shared as I type on my iPad. Just know that you will be in for an incredible treat if you dine at the CK. The tasting menu is well worth the $44 - this is an experience, not just a great meal. I look forward to visiting again and I'm sure we will hear great things about this chef once word gets out about his skill, creativity and knowledge about how and what we should eat. He is a true innovator amongst this new generation of chefs.