“2 Kenmore Stoves & a George Foreman Grill!”
Review of Curious Kumquat - CLOSED

Curious Kumquat
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: James Beard nominated eclectic restaurant featuring fast, fresh and affordable lunches, and modernist foraged tasting dinners.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had read a lot of complimentary things about the chef and restaurant before our trip to SW NM, so we knew this had to be one of our culinary stops. Glad we made the effort. Beer and wine selections are stellar, especially on the beer side, with quite a few Belgiums of epic stature. The restaurant is not fancy. In fact, it is a bit stark, but we found that we were the only non-locals eating there that Wednesday evening, and the chef & hostess/waitress knew everyone. The 5 course meal consisted of 3 first courses that were small, complex and delicious. These courses were vegetable based and included birch, parsnip, salt-cured beets, savory granola, fermented corn, farro and pinon, among others. The entree courses included duck, pecan salad, lamb, pork & rabbit. The rabbit is locally farm raised and the lamb & pork were local 4-H grown. Since one of us got the tasting menu & the other only the entree, we shared all courses, which was perfect, because I don't think we could have each eaten all of each course & had room for the fabulous dessert, which included chocolate, hazelnut and orange, and was a layered affair of a cakey/cookie layer and a ganache/mousse layer. Very satisfying. The chef delivered the last course to our table and spent a few minutes chatting about his cooking philosophies and life! A delightful evening and so totally unexpected in Silver City. And, if the 2 stoves aren't Kenmores, I apologize, for I only remember that the chef told us he was not cooking in a commercial kitchen, but got by with 2 (Sears, I think) stoves & a George Foreman grill. Admirable!

1  Thank SWFoodie
gfron1, Owner at Curious Kumquat, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for the kind review. I do in fact cook on two residential Kenmore electric ranges. Its not really what I would prefer but because we're in an 1870s building I can't do the full upgrade to commercial kitchen. It is state approved and inspected but even the inspector laughs at my equipment. For the first 5 years of our existence I even had to hand wash all of our dishes by hand. It was only this past October that I made some modifications to get a machine in...and my back greatly appreciated it.

There are newer reviews for Curious Kumquat

Reviewed January 23, 2014

The chef here delivers an exotic, creative meal, worthy of any big city restaurant. My husband and I ordered from the tasting menu, which features five courses, including three appetizer-sized plates, the entree, and dessert. Some of the foods on the small plates were foraged from the Gila Wilderness. (Who knew acorns could taste so good!) The presentation made you really focus on each bite of food. My entree was delicious duck confit, served with red pear, apricots, and greens. The dessert was a wonderful chocolate, hazelnut creation. The menu also has a wide selection of wine and beers. In fact, the beer list was one of the most extensive I've ever seen and had a description and letter grade for each beer!

1  Thank Nancy505
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Went there earlier this past summer. Upon arriving I would have jumped ship as it only looked ok. My more adventuresome wife convinced me otherwise & I'm really glad she did. I'm not sure why this superb chef is here but be glad he is. Go for the full dinner option with several small tasting plates. I'm sure the menu varies with what the chef feels is the best available , he also forages for mushrooms & greens, truly an unbelievable dining experience in this small house in silver city. In selecting a dinner wine the chef advised he was more of a craft beer guy. But put us into an Australian Shiraz that was as fine as any I've ever had ( ordered 6 bottles on returning home ) with desert he high graded us big time to a Jorge somebody or other that was like the nectar of the gods. We still talk about this truly fine restaurant. Would go back to silver city if only for this fine dining experience....just go

gfron1, Owner at Curious Kumquat, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for the kind words - we're glad you took the risk and enjoyed our tasting menu. The dessert wine that you are referring to is Jorge Ordoñez Old Vine Malaga (muscatel) - which is the absolute finest dessert wine that we've found. And if you enjoyed that you should try these other wines from the same importer: Tarima Monastrell (Robert Parker 91 pts), Borsao Garnacha (2012 Robert Parker best red wine value) and Viña Borgia Garnacha (the best boxed wine we've ever had). Anything from this group of wines is amazingly good for incredible prices.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

My wife and I really like the Curious Kumquat. We will be eating here again for sure. I think we covered the menu well as my wife is a meat eater and I am a vegetarian. The entre's were beyond well prepared and it was very obvious that the chef was a master at blending tastes in a way that the whole was greater than the sum of its parts. And the price was very reasonable as well with a good wine and beer selection. While Silver City has many good restaurants, this is the place to go if you have only one night in Silver City!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

As first time visitors to the city we were delighted by the choice of good restaurants in Silver City. We were booking too late for the tasting menu and our only choice was the entree. The taste was excellent, but the experience would have been a lot better if the service from the staff kept up with the quality of the food. Staff could be more informed, quicker to greet guests at the door since it is such a small place, and learn the art of apology. My entree arrived cold and had to be sent back. Instead of an apology I had a long explanation about our reservation being double booked which was somehow my fault. We liked the old house atmosphere, but if it is cold outside, bring a sweater. We are still not sure if the rabbit was supposed to be cooked to a crisp.

gfron1, Owner at Curious Kumquat, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

We are sorry. At 3 pm that day I learned that my dear friend and the co-author of my cookbook passed away unexpectedly. So yes we were off and yes our server should have been more apologetic than explanatory. She also should have simply comped your meal. I'm sorry we did not give you the night you deserved. ~Rob