“A fun place to visit & dine!”
Review of Curious Kumquat - CLOSED

Curious Kumquat
Cuisines: American, International, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: James Beard nominated eclectic restaurant featuring fast, fresh and affordable lunches, and modernist foraged tasting dinners.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“A fun place to visit & dine!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had quite a lot of fun dining at this restaurant! We were also in a great mood because we were celebrating, and the Curious Kumquat staff was a fun group to do it with!
Go to this restaurant if you are ready to try new and interesting food. Apparently the chef is really into growing/ raising his own food ingredients, and he sure is into creating new recipes. There were quite a lot of interesting things on the menu with conglomerations from various food groups. Main dishes included Lamb, duck, venison, rabbit, Pea fitters, smoked root salad etc etc. in that particular evening and there was a so called “tasting menu”, which allowed you to taste several of the chef’s creations. I am probably not doing these dishes justice by naming them simply by these terms. It was all exotically prepared and you just had to ask the chef or the waitress, Leah for details! Leah is real fun! Actually they were all very jovial and we simply loved trying new food and being a bit crazy there.
Oh yes, there is quite a wine menu! I think it would be great to go with a big group so that you can try several different wines. There was also a great variety of beers. The drinks are not cheap. Nor is the food! If you do go with a group (or even just two) you will have to make a reservation because it is a very small restaurant with a limited number of tables.
I think if you are in Silver City you have to go to try the Curious Kumquat. And, don’t forget to kiss the Chef and the waitresses!

3 Thank SunnyW358

Chesterland, Ohio
“Excellent choice.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our lunch was excellent. We each ordered a different style of turkey sandwich. All of the ingredients are freshly prepared right there. Roasted turkey on a freshly baked roll with local greens and homemade sauce, simple and delicious. Casual atmosphere with outstanding food.
Large selection of beers and wines, Freshly ground coffee. The freshly baked brownie was a real treat. Clean flavors, professionally prepared and casual comfort. Great choice.

1 Thank RoadDogs70
Isleton, California
“Loved it!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

No where else can you get a 5 star meal while wearing shorts and flip flops, which from what I understand is what the chef was going for. We felt so comfortable there and our server was adorable. We went for the tasters menue and then chose our entrees. I had the curried duck breast and my husband had the elk shanks. It was absolutely wonderful. We must have talked about that meal for 3 days after our visit. We are only in Silver City for a few more days but have already decided a repeat visit to the Curious Kumquat is in order.

1 Thank TT-Poppy
GLENWOOD
“If it's opened...”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I don't get to eat here for various reasons. They're either out of food or "potentialy booked" inflexibale hours. The food is really great and the preparation is flawless, but I'v only gotten to eat here once out of five attempts. It's worth it if you get to eat, but they're devilishly hard to do business with.

Visited April 2013
gfron1, Owner at Curious Kumquat, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
2 big factors have caused what you are describing since the first of the year. 1. Being highlighted nationally for our food has led to a dramatic increase in customers and that means that yes, we do sell out most nights and many days. 2. I now have a foster son that requires quite a bit of time. The problem is that customers want the same quality of food but my time is not as flexible anymore. You typically come in the later afternoon when we are dwindling down on food, I would suggest either coming earlier if possible or calling ahead and we'll happily save you your food. Expanding staff is easier said than done in our small town - once staff is expanded, quality can not remain, so we're looking at options to easing my workload but keeping all food prepared by me. I hope this helps you understand that challenges we face, and ultimately, we may not be the best dining option for your schedule. There are plenty of other restaurants that have a more corporate structure that can guarantee being open and availability. What I can guarantee is that our food will be made with passion and great ingredients, and will be good every time.
Silver City, New Mexico, United States
“Chef is excellent”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The food at the Kumquat is excellent and healthy. Chef Rob is always surprising us with dishes made with foraged food from the region. His wine selection is solid. Try the "taster" on the evening menu.. your taste buds will love the tastes of all the evening offerings... fun and yum!

Visited March 2013