“This Place Is Amazing!”
Review of Curious Kumquat - CLOSED

Curious Kumquat
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: James Beard nominated eclectic restaurant featuring fast, fresh and affordable lunches, and modernist foraged tasting dinners.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Think of it as being the dinner guest of an excellent chef. Choose your entree and let him do the rest--just as you would at his home. There are lots of places where you can get a good steak or fried chicken. That's not what Rob (the chef) is about. Come here to experience something new and different--expertly prepared and delicious. For a special treat try the tasting menu--a foodie's paradise of flavors. We loved it.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The food is very good but you won't have time to enjoy it before they try to kick you out. This place is disrespectful and insulting. I'm from NM & had always wanted to spend the day in Silver City. Our first stop was this terrible location. We had just come into town from some early fishing and although we were not wearing tuxedo's, we were not raggety looking either. But that didn't matter. All they offered us to drink was water. One of the kids ordered a pepperoni pizza & it came out WITHOUT cheese. I had not even taken a bite out of my gyro before the waiter brought my check and said "No rush." I will never go to this place. Their motto is "If you're not from here, we're going to kick you in the rear." I couldn't leave Silver City fast enough.

4  Thank J S
gfron1, Owner at Curious Kumquat, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

I'm sorry you had this experience. You can see from the other reviews that this is not the norm. The pizza was my fault - we are used to accommodating a lot of special diets so when an order comes back that says just pepperoni, I assume that it means the diner is lactose intolerant (you'll remember that our crust is gluten free). This is a common order for us. Our server should have clarified and I apologize for that. As for you feeling rushed, that was not our intent at all. For lunches we get the ticket on the table immediately because the majority of our lunch diners are business lunches which means they want to get out fast. Our policy is to get the food on the table and then immediately bring them their ticket so they can pay if they want to leave before the server gets back. That procedure has nothing to do with dress or anything else - Silver City is known for its casualness. Again our apologies and we'll address these issues with our servers.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Yet, morsels they be. Dont go hungry. Large assortment of beer and wine, limited menu of the rear and unusual. The 7 course unknowns are wee small tidbits, takes an evening. Choice of 5 or so entres, maybe lamb (one chop), or duck (equivalent of chicken thigh), goat (brown meat in gravy), served with chef's choice of dessert, good but no raves.

1  Thank nyob
Reviewed October 5, 2012

we made a reservation for early evening as we had an early flight in the morning. the restaurant was almost empty. our server was quite pleasant, in training, and not very knowledgeable. for a restaurant that specializes in beers, to have a waiter not old enough to drink and could not tell us much at all about the beers. he told us "the woman" knew. but she was out. he never sent her to our table when or if she returned. the music was suitable for the cooks, but not for the diners, loud, and not soothing. more like dishwashing music. the portions were small. they traded cute for competent. i am hopeful they will catch on to the business soon. they have a good idea. but not ready for prime time

1  Thank vtski48
gfron1, Owner at Curious Kumquat, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thanks for your response. I apologize for our staff not better explaining the Tasting Menu concept. Tasting menus focus on flavor and presentation, not size. It is extremely rare that after 5-7 courses our diners are still hungry but when they are we always bring them more food to make sure they're satisfied. As for the music, that night we played an artist called Jamiriqui - who tends toward rhythmic upbeat, but certainly not loud. Did you ask your server to adjust the volume? We certainly would have. And finally, yes, our town does not have a professional server culture like Philadelphia - the majority of our servers come from the University and that night Nathan had only been training for three days. His beer knowledge is better, but is not as good as you would find in a big city. That will be a never ending battle for all restaurants in our town.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

This place was recommended to me by people who drove all the way down from Albuquerque just to eat there. I didn't have to drive quite as far, but it was well worth it! I had a green chile bisque and small salad for lunch. My boyfriend had a flatbread pizza. They let him pile whatever he wanted on it. My salad was exactly what i was looking for, perfectly fresh. Both entrees had a beautiful presentation. The waitress was by herself and running all over the place, but everything came quickly and she was right on top of it! I will definitely eat here again next time I am through.