“Mmmm mmmm good”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Curious Kumquat - CLOSED

Curious Kumquat
Cuisines: American, International, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: James Beard nominated eclectic restaurant featuring fast, fresh and affordable lunches, and modernist foraged tasting dinners.
Houston, Texas
“Mmmm mmmm good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I eat here every couple of weeks when I come down to Silver City for business. The food is incredible. Lunch is simple but very good and the choices are very different from one-another. Contrary to the review before me, the service is always excellent. I have had the same server for my last couple of visits and he literally remembered exactly what I ordered the time before. I also enjoyed that the Chef has actually appeared in the dining room a time or two just to make sure everyone's food was exactly how they wanted it. Small town quality service with a big city taste. Price is very reasonable and (as far as I know) the food seems extremely fresh and, might I add, delicious! Give it a try, you won't regret it.

- Jim

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank JimGlass1954

Sacramento, California
“Great Food, Terrible Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I ordered the green chili corn chowder which was terrific. The food was so good, it's a shame the service was so poor.
The waiter began by telling me the lunch special was "A summer platter with cheese and vegetables and stuff like that."
Then, once my food arrived, I never saw him again. After waiting in vain for him to come by to ask if I needed anything, I said, "Exuse me," to ask another server for more salad dressing and she ignored me until I had to repeat myself more loudly. The dressing eventually appeared by my original waiter but then it was another ordeal to get my bill (finally brought by a brand new waiter) and pay it.
This is a restaurant in a small town that has very good fresh food but its owner should invest in servers who reflect the excellent quality of the food.

• Visited August 2011
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Top notch food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

First time into Curious Kumquat and I loved it. The special was Watermelon Gazpacho which was absolutely perfect on a hot August day. It was not too sweet with a bite of Thai chile and a touch of cilantro. The Fish Taco was good but needed a little punch to make it better - some pica de gallo would have been nice. I look forward to returning for dinner.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank Hootyj
New Mexico
“Sophisticated and delicious locally sourced food at a bargain price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

My husband and I enjoy eating at very urbane restaurants in major cities and were delighted to find that the Curious Kumquat's menu and presentation is comparable to many of the very best. (The experience reminded me of the Bar at Cafe Atlantico, in Washington, DC--only much better and much much less expensive.) We arrived late in the evening, when the restaurant was uncrowded, and had the great fun of discussing our meal at length with the chef/owner. Every item on the 5-course tasting menu was a witty surprise, locally sourced or foraged and based on Native American foodways. Even better, every item was exceptionally delicious. Yummy cattails! We urge you to try the dinner.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank LAcuerva
Tucson
“Sophisticated, innovative cuisine in an unlikely place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Silver City is tiny and fairly quiet; it makes for a lovely weekend getaway from Tucson. The decor is simple and elegant, the staff responsive and friendly yet professional, and the chef came to our table himself when I had questions about the menu. Speaking of the menu: wow. The imagination behind each carefully crafted course is remarkable. Check out the website to get an idea of what to expect, but I will readily admit that my high expectations (based on the menu and other reviews) were handily exceeded. The wine list was excellent, too. Curious Kumquat is a spectacular example of what fine dining should be.

• Visited December 2010