“Well Worth a Short Detour”

George Washington Carver National Monument
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Diamond
More attraction details
Owner description: George Washington Carver's boyhood home is now a 210 acre park with a nature trail, museum, and interactive exhibit area.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We slightly modified our route to the Table Rock Lake area so we could stop here. I was impressed by the displays in the visitor center and the well-kept grounds. The easy, mostly paved, 1 mile hike through the woods includes interesting information along the way about the amazing life of George Wahington Carver. We were there about an hour; however you could spend quite a bit more time here. The displays in the museum include activities to interest visitors of all ages.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was incredibly impressed with this monument. I really was just expecting a little bit about George Washington Carver and maybe a statue of him and that was it. The facility was much more than that. I was impressed with how they told his story and enjoyed it. I loved the hike through the woods! Walking where he used to walk and see what he used to see was cool. Loved it!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our highlight for this visit was a walk around the paved trail past the pond on a beautiful Spring day. Flowers were starting to bloom, the creeks were flowing. and the trees leafing out. We sat a while by the pond & just enjoyed the peacefulness. The visitor center was overrun with school kids on field trips, but the displays about Dr. Carver's life and work are outstanding. They include a replica lab and classroom. Always worth a visit and it's no-fee site.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This facility is amazing, as was the man it honors. I confess to having thought of George Washington Carver as "the peanut man" but I learned that he was so much more. I don't think there was anything he couldn't do! His life story is told through excellent displays, many of them interactive, in such a way that I will be thinking about him and his accomplishments for a long time. The grounds are a beautiful natural setting on the property where GWC was raised, allowing visitors an opportunity to walk through the same woods that captured his fancy and fed his curiosity as a boy. The Carver cemetery in on the grounds as well, so if you are interested in old cemeteries you are in luck. Easy to find, good parking, fascinating information, and it's free!

1  Thank Tmae54
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I love this place and have been twice. The grounds are beautiful and a lovely place for a walk. Reading about Dr. Carver's life is inspirational - what an amazing man - there's far more to him than his research with peanuts.

2  Thank MOAdventurer