“First night in the USA”

New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
Ranked #12 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed at the Brooklyn Marriott for just the one night as we arrived from Australia quite late after 23 hours of flying and i wanted somewhere close-ish to the airport.
We arrived at 9pm and although the lobby was busy, it was only a few minutes wait until we were checked in. The lady at the desk was just lovely, and upgraged us to a better room than we had booked without us even asking, we were so tired we would have slept in singles beds if necessary!
Car parking was easy and located on site.
We went down to the bar/restaurant for a meal and a drink and again the service was great. The food came out pretty quickly and was delicious, i even tried my very first pickle (not a fan at all sorry!).
The hotel itself is in a good location, easy to get to and quiet yet not far away from anything you would need.
The room was large, with a huge window looking out to the building behind the Marriott. The king sized bed was so comfortable and just what we needed after so long on the flight in economy! Yeah the decor wasnt exactly fantastic, but it did the job and i would absolutely stay there again if i went back to Brooklyn.
A lovely hotel. Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,084)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I wanted to try something different, a different part to visiting the NYC area. The Marriott is much bigger then I had thought, it is not surrounded by other hotels. The area where the hotel is located has a fun night life and I loved the quiet street noise as compared to staying in Manhattan. I would say that our room 5008 needed some tlc, the ceiling had water damage and the walls had issues. I tried something different and this time it worked but once is enough.

Room Tip: I was surprised how quiet the outside traffic noise was, I wonder if the hotel has special glass in...
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a 3-night visit to Brooklyn.
Positives: clean & spacious rooms, one of the quietest Marriott hotel rooms I have ever experienced (especially considering location), very comfy bed and a really great fitness room.
Good location especially for DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights.

Negatives: No view (but to be fair I never asked for a room with a view), had to pay for coffee off the lobby, no free WiFi or internet in room. No turn down service and no morning paper despite being a Marriott Rewards member.

I always read the negative hotel review along with the positive to get a balanced overview. I must say I did not see or experience any of the reported negative experiences. Property and rooms were updated and clean, staff seemed courteous.

I recommend this hotel and may stay here again if visiting this part of Brooklyn.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were first timers in New York and this was the perfect place to stay. From the reception of the staff as we got out of the car, the service was beyond our expectations. Maryanne Santora made us feel very special. The hotel was very clean and spacious and the rooms were perfect and the view was excellent. (even though it was a partial view). The Concierge Lounge was manned by Leonard in the morning and Nelson in the evening and they both went way out of their way to make my 93 year old mother-in-law feel like a million bucks. We came up a few minutes past 7:30 one evening and Nelson made sure that my wife and mother-in-law got crackers and cheese. And Leonard made sure that everything was available in the morning for a great breakfast. The bell staff was always ready with a smile and a hello and everyone wanted you to feel like you were at home.
I travel alot and this Marriott was the best place I have stayed in the past 5 years. The entire hotel chain can take a long look at this staff and their attitude towards the traveler and see why this hotel is very successful. If I ever get back to New York, there is no other place that I would stay. It was easy for us to get around and it was located easily for us to go places, even walking around. On a one to ten scale...this hotel gets a 15....

And I almost forgot, the steal of the day: leave your shoes to be shined with the man in the lobby- cost was $6 and it was so good, I gave him a large tip. He did a great job.

Room Tip: The rooms that our families had were spacious. I was on the 19th floor and my sister in law on the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

So, I reserved this hotel for a few reasons...one, I'm a Marriott rewards member so I had lots of points to use AND I wanted to stay in Brooklyn instead of my normal Marriott Marquis location in Times Square and this hotel had lots of rave reviews. I especially liked the fact that everyone said the views were great which to me, is VERY IMPORTANT!! When I get to my hotel room the first thing I do is run to the window to check out the view and hope that it's not disappointing and then I jump on the bed hoping I sink right in. When I got in my room at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge hotel...both of these were SERIOUSLY LACKING!!! I want to mention that I also called the reservations line before I booked because since I was booking with points I noticed I didn't get the option to choose "city view" for my room so I wanted to call and make sure I had that. The lady on the phone told me that all rooms had a city view so I shouldn't worry. She said of course they cannot guarantee that I could see the Brooklyn Bridge but I shouldn't have an issue with a city view. Ok, fine. BTW Marriott, I don't see how it's good customer service to downgrade clients using their points! Why don't we get to reserve a room with a view? Aren't you rewarding us for using your company faithfully?? I don't want to stay in your worst room with no view and hard beds on my vacation even if it is free!! Rewards members and people using points should be getting the best rooms because we are good customers...not the scraps that are left over (sheesh!!!)

ANYWAY, my family and I checked into the hotel after midnight after an 8 hour plane ride from Paris...we were super tired and all we wanted to do was jump in a soft warm bed (something we expect from Marriott!!) I had asked about the view in our room and the front desk lady said they were all sold out and the room she gave us was all they had (great). Fine, as long as I'm not staring down at the roof. We get to our room and what happens....we have a HIDEOUS, I MEAN HIDOUS view of the roof...it looks like prison and I'm super disappointed. Whatever, I'm tired...just going to go to sleep and deal with it in the morning. THE MATTRESS IS LIKE A BOARD!! It literally did not sink in a millimeter...even my 8 year old son was wondering what was up with these beds??? It was really, really bad and uncomfortable. On top of all that, the bathroom had not been remodeled...there were big rust stains on the floor coming from the toilet on both sides....the wallpaper was bubbling...the countertops were old andit felt like a cheap Motel 6 room. The entire night I was half sleeping, half complaining in my head to the front desk.....NOT COOL MARRIOTT!!!! Woke up with a backache.

Day 2 - called front desk to get a new room. They were very nice and did comply with my request with no problem. Our new room was in the higher tower on the 17th floor with a great view, soft beds, and a remodeled bathroom with granite countertops and no rust stains on the floor....THANK YOU!!! My trip has been redeemed and I am no longer annoyed :-)

Marriott....when clients are on vacation...don't screw with their sleep, their views, or the softness of the mattress...it's cruel and makes people upset. Question: why would you even purchase those mattresses in that other floor??? Are you sure they weren't supposed to be doors and there was a horrible mix up? Whoever did this must be fired immediately. And granite is cheap...get rid of that hideous $25 countertop and cheap tile with rust stains. I know Marriott are only property managers and do not own the hotels but your name is at stake and I need to know there is consistency in your brand when I take time to go on vacation and spend my precious time off at your place. And treat your rewards customers better....we should get the cream of the crop...not the scraps. Ok, I'm done.

Highlight: There is a Panera bread right outside the hotel which was very handy! DUMBO and the bridge are very close so the location is excellent. Venture too far away and you start to get into sketchy territory but other than that I would recommend this place as long as you insist they put you in a high floor on the high tower facing the city....THIS IS A MUST! If I got this room on day 1, I would give it 4 stars. Also, the lobby and the whole hotel is kind of old ladyish décor and out of style...it could definitely use a refresher. It should have a cool, hip Brooklyn vibe...then I think it would be 5 stars :-)

Room Tip: Seriously, do not let them put you in the short tower facing the roof....it's gross. Insist on...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge after our friend's wedding at Rebar in DUMBO. The view was amazing, even though it was only considered "partial city view", we could still see the Brooklyn & Manhattan Bridge and lower Manhattan. The bathroom was big and clean and so was the room. We were up on the 24th floor, so street traffic was just faint background noise. The location is great, any stops you want to make in that area of Bk are all within walking distance. There was a farmer's market, right in front of the court building on Adams St and it was so cool. We also did an Urban Oyster tour the day before, which I HIGHLY recommend! Even if you've been to Bk before, it's an excellent way to see the brownstones and get some seriously good eats!

Room Tip: 24th floor, room 2404!
2  Thank MrsTinetti
SIbrahim_Brklyn, General Manager at New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. Not sure if you had the chance to visit the promenade or walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. If not, there are some beautiful views and photo opportunities for next time. I’m glad to hear that the Urban Oyster tour was enjoyable as well. I am sure your comment will be a benefit for other travelers to this area. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again! Enjoy your summer, Sam Ibrahim, General Manager.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This concierge named Wanda at the Brooklyn bridge Marriott was excellent help she was kind gracious and helpful. She was priceless!!! Wanda thank you. I work in a hotel and not all of the concierge are as sweet as Wanda this why I have taken the time to say great she was. Just because of Wanda I will stay there again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business