“SOME GOOD, SOME BAD!!”

Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Los Angeles
“SOME GOOD, SOME BAD!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

So, I reserved this hotel for a few reasons...one, I'm a Marriott rewards member so I had lots of points to use AND I wanted to stay in Brooklyn instead of my normal Marriott Marquis location in Times Square and this hotel had lots of rave reviews. I especially liked the fact that everyone said the views were great which to me, is VERY IMPORTANT!! When I get to my hotel room the first thing I do is run to the window to check out the view and hope that it's not disappointing and then I jump on the bed hoping I sink right in. When I got in my room at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge hotel...both of these were SERIOUSLY LACKING!!! I want to mention that I also called the reservations line before I booked because since I was booking with points I noticed I didn't get the option to choose "city view" for my room so I wanted to call and make sure I had that. The lady on the phone told me that all rooms had a city view so I shouldn't worry. She said of course they cannot guarantee that I could see the Brooklyn Bridge but I shouldn't have an issue with a city view. Ok, fine. BTW Marriott, I don't see how it's good customer service to downgrade clients using their points! Why don't we get to reserve a room with a view? Aren't you rewarding us for using your company faithfully?? I don't want to stay in your worst room with no view and hard beds on my vacation even if it is free!! Rewards members and people using points should be getting the best rooms because we are good customers...not the scraps that are left over (sheesh!!!)

ANYWAY, my family and I checked into the hotel after midnight after an 8 hour plane ride from Paris...we were super tired and all we wanted to do was jump in a soft warm bed (something we expect from Marriott!!) I had asked about the view in our room and the front desk lady said they were all sold out and the room she gave us was all they had (great). Fine, as long as I'm not staring down at the roof. We get to our room and what happens....we have a HIDEOUS, I MEAN HIDOUS view of the roof...it looks like prison and I'm super disappointed. Whatever, I'm tired...just going to go to sleep and deal with it in the morning. THE MATTRESS IS LIKE A BOARD!! It literally did not sink in a millimeter...even my 8 year old son was wondering what was up with these beds??? It was really, really bad and uncomfortable. On top of all that, the bathroom had not been remodeled...there were big rust stains on the floor coming from the toilet on both sides....the wallpaper was bubbling...the countertops were old andit felt like a cheap Motel 6 room. The entire night I was half sleeping, half complaining in my head to the front desk.....NOT COOL MARRIOTT!!!! Woke up with a backache.

Day 2 - called front desk to get a new room. They were very nice and did comply with my request with no problem. Our new room was in the higher tower on the 17th floor with a great view, soft beds, and a remodeled bathroom with granite countertops and no rust stains on the floor....THANK YOU!!! My trip has been redeemed and I am no longer annoyed :-)

Marriott....when clients are on vacation...don't screw with their sleep, their views, or the softness of the mattress...it's cruel and makes people upset. Question: why would you even purchase those mattresses in that other floor??? Are you sure they weren't supposed to be doors and there was a horrible mix up? Whoever did this must be fired immediately. And granite is cheap...get rid of that hideous $25 countertop and cheap tile with rust stains. I know Marriott are only property managers and do not own the hotels but your name is at stake and I need to know there is consistency in your brand when I take time to go on vacation and spend my precious time off at your place. And treat your rewards customers better....we should get the cream of the crop...not the scraps. Ok, I'm done.

Highlight: There is a Panera bread right outside the hotel which was very handy! DUMBO and the bridge are very close so the location is excellent. Venture too far away and you start to get into sketchy territory but other than that I would recommend this place as long as you insist they put you in a high floor on the high tower facing the city....THIS IS A MUST! If I got this room on day 1, I would give it 4 stars. Also, the lobby and the whole hotel is kind of old ladyish décor and out of style...it could definitely use a refresher. It should have a cool, hip Brooklyn vibe...then I think it would be 5 stars :-)

Room Tip: Seriously, do not let them put you in the short tower facing the roof....it's gross. Insist on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge after our friend's wedding at Rebar in DUMBO. The view was amazing, even though it was only considered "partial city view", we could still see the Brooklyn & Manhattan Bridge and lower Manhattan. The bathroom was big and clean and so was the room. We were up on the 24th floor, so street traffic was just faint background noise. The location is great, any stops you want to make in that area of Bk are all within walking distance. There was a farmer's market, right in front of the court building on Adams St and it was so cool. We also did an Urban Oyster tour the day before, which I HIGHLY recommend! Even if you've been to Bk before, it's an excellent way to see the brownstones and get some seriously good eats!

Room Tip: 24th floor, room 2404!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrsTinetti
SIbrahim_Brklyn, General Manager at New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. Not sure if you had the chance to visit the promenade or walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. If not, there are some beautiful views and photo opportunities for next time. I’m glad to hear that the Urban Oyster tour was enjoyable as well. I am sure your comment will be a benefit for other travelers to this area. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again! Enjoy your summer, Sam Ibrahim, General Manager.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

This concierge named Wanda at the Brooklyn bridge Marriott was excellent help she was kind gracious and helpful. She was priceless!!! Wanda thank you. I work in a hotel and not all of the concierge are as sweet as Wanda this why I have taken the time to say great she was. Just because of Wanda I will stay there again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ligonier, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We usually stay in Manhattan but decided to get to know Brooklyn a bit better on this trip. The Marriott is close to subway stations and a fast cab ride over the bridge.

The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. We stay at Marriotts often. The staff in this hotel are especially good.

We liked our room which was in the south tower with a view of the East River. It was spacious and clean. The bed - as usual - was extremely comfortable.

The breakfast buffet in The Archives restaurant is good but the selection is limited. One morning I ordered the Brooklyn Benedict and though it took some time to arrive, it was worth the wait.

We went into the lounge a couple of times - once for drinks and a snack and once for coffee. The atmosphere is comfortable and the service is good.

The neighborhood around the hotel is drab. The NY Supreme Court is across the street and it is depressingly dreary looking

There is a Shake Shack just up the street and that was a delight.

Our only complaint is that the gift shop was never open in the evening when we stopped by on two different evenings though it was supposed to be open.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

the staff at the Marriott new York at Brooklyn Bridge is excellent. Leonard in the concierge lounge is there and is willing to help you with everything. Jerry in the pool/healthclub is attentive to all your needs, Marie at the front desk helps you with any questions you have and make you feel the hotel is your home away from home.
The general manager has assembled a fantastic team to make your stay at the Marriott New York at the Brooklyn Bridge like staying at your own home
Kudos for having such a great hotel and staff to make you feel at home

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ken S
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

My family and I stayed during Memorial Day weekend. The hotel was in a great location and the staff were really friendly. The rooms were clean and spacious. Minutes away from the Brooklyn Bridge and close to the metro. My family and I had a great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Melissa A
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel is an excellent choice, in my opinion. It is close to Manhattan and the tourist/business locations. This hotel appears to be relatively new (less than 20 years old). The rooms were very nice,clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I look forward to another stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business