“Good alternative to Manhattan”

New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Booked by the group I was with, a large group, I think the motivation was cost. Staying "over the bridge" costs much less than staying in the city. However, the "at the Brooklyn Bridge" part of the name is somewhat misleading. It's more like a half a mile away. One of the porters, when asked, said, "yeah, the bridge is that way, a couple of blocks." Well, given that it was 33 degrees, windy, with a combination of rain and light snow, it seemed like "the longest walk." But is was worth it. How often do you get to walk on the Brooklyn Bridge and it's only you and two other tourists? The view south of the Statute of Liberty and north to the Manhattan Bridge was beautiful, and unusual perspective for those who usually stay in the city.

The area around the hotel is "Brooklyn drab," with a courthouse across the street and many other unremarkable buildings around. (There is a Starbucks on the backside of the building across the street.) An advantage of the hotel's location, based on my previous stays in hotels in Manhattan, is the area is quiet at night. Much less sirens, traffic, etc. at night.

The room was Marriott average, clean, well appointed, but small. One must take care not to trip over the toilet while standing at the sink. And there isn't enough room in the bathroom for two unless one of them is in the shower. The view out the window could have been in any city in the US, nothing distinct. The bed was comfortable and the hotel did not suffer from the "paper thin walls" syndrome so a good night's sleep was had each night I was there.

The food in the hotel's restaurant was good and the "convention food" was average, again, as one might expect at any Marriott hotel. Most of the events I went to were in the city and we were transported by charter buses. Cabs in NYC are expensive for the distance into the city but good if you want to get somewhere quickly, except of course during rush hour. Speaking of rush hour, I arrive at LaGuardia during the afternoon rush hour and if you can, try midday or later in the evening. The chauffeured town car took almost an hour to go 9 miles to the hotel.

So, if you want a more low-key stay in NYC and don't prefer to be in the thick of things - and spend less on your accommodations - this hotel works just fine.

One note: Make sure, somehow, you go to the hotel's concierge level, the 27th floor, I believe. There is an outdoor landing that offers fantastic view of the Manhattan skyline and surrounding area.

Room Tip: Higher up to get away from the street-level noise is recommended.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pramstroker
Write a ReviewReviews (2,097)

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Convenient with concerned service. Love Mike the doorman, he makes my day. The Cobb salad was a good value and the concierge lounge was well stocked I like the fact I can get to laquardia in 15 minutes with no hassle

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank RichardHoltz
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have just spent 10 days staying at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. We were looked after superbly by all the staff. Marie at the front desk at night time is fabulous at her job, efficient and highly professional. Nothing was too much trouble for her, she exceeded our expectations. Our Star Award goes to Angelo. Going to store our luggage when we were to sadly change hotels, due to NY Marriott BB being full, he rescued us and sorted out our accommodation so we were able to stay for the whole ten days. He was amazing with our kids and gave us many tips about Brooklyn and NY. The beds were very comfy and our room #776 was a great size for us ( thank you Angelo for that also) The pool and gym are good too. When my husband had a fall at Century 21 and cut up his nose Angelo helped get first aid kit etc and made sure he was ok. We wanted to surprise our kids with a stretch limo ride to JFK for our flight to London, Angelo had it sorted! Such personal attention to our family goes unsurpassed. Hotel is great location in Brooklyn, close to subway, Jay St Metro Tech or Borough Hall. Good family eating places nearby like the Shake Shack ( burgers etc ) and Panera Bread (free wifi here). Duane Read (pharmacy and grocery store ) and Subway are 2 mins walk away. We hope to return and see you all again soon - The Burt Family, Adelaide, Australia.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BurtBunchAU
SIbrahim_Brklyn, General Manager at New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Wow...what a great review – all of us here at the Brooklyn Marriott thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are so delighted that your family enjoyed the many wonderful things Brooklyn has to offer. Thank you also for recognizing Marie & Angelo who has been part of the “Brooklyn Marriott Family” since opening in 1998. Thank you for posting this great review – we look forward to your return and once again being your “home away from home.”

Reviewed June 1, 2013

The largest room we have ever had staying in NYC! Makes a nice change staying off Manhattan and encourages you to walk the Brooklyn Bridge each day, which is a lovely walk with great views. The local area has some great bars and restaurants, all within a 10-15 minute walk. The hotel is a little dated but the room size makes up for that and the bath is almost a proper size bath rather than the usual tiny basin! Very comfortable bed and coffee/tea maker in the room which we were delighted to see as most US hotels don't provide those. Great gym, plenty of equipment, free weights, bosu, medicine balls etc. Lap pool is 25 yards long.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mbk09
Reviewed May 31, 2013

As always, my stay at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott was awesome. Beverly & Jeffrey welcomed me with so much enthusiasm when I checked in. They both make you feel as if you are a relative that has returned from a long distance. It makes you feel like family. I am always excited when I arrive and see them at the front desk. Everyone is so helpful, even the bellman and Tony the doorman. He is awesome! I would say that the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott is my favorite destination. I guess I really can't praise Beverly & Jeffrey enough. They are an asset to the hotel. The rooms are very clean, My experience has always been excellent. Thank you Brooklyn Bridge Marriott!

Room Tip: I have never had a less than perfect room and have stayed in several locations in the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel is a unknown gem. We stayed here because we didn't want the hustle and bustle (and expense) of a Manhattan hotel. There are several metro stops literally across the street and numerous restaurants within walking distance. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful with the exception of the person who staffed the lounge/breakfast room for Marriott Reward guests, who was a sour puss.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PhoenixRobin
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have been here a number of times over the past few years for meetings and every time they have not come close to meeting expectations - if you do not need to spend any time in the hotel and just need a place to sleep then the location is ideal - if you need to discuss anything with the staff then this is not the place for you - No is the one word in their vocabulary and they like to use it a lot - if it works for them fine, but if you have a choice in where you stay then avoid this place like the plague you will be happy that you did

Room Tip: Have no expectations and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised - I am still waiting for that to occ...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank agbcpa01
SIbrahim_Brklyn, General Manager at New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for your review of May 29th. Here at the Brooklyn Marriott, we value the opinion of our guest's experience and I thank you for taking the time to share yours. We take great pride in exceeding the expectations of our guests. Based on your posting I regret that we did not meet your needs, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your feedback further. Please contact me directly so that I may understand the details regarding your visit and follow up with the subject of your concern. I can be reached at 718-246-7000 ext. 6500.