“Great stay between Christmas and New year”

New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
Ranked #12 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed January 24, 2008

Stayed with my wife and 12 year old son for five nights between Christmas and New Year's Eve 2007 and had a superb stay. Had a large, comfortable and well appointed room on the 14 th floor of the new wing with a nice view of Brooklyn Bridge. All staff were very pleasant, helpful and friendly - concierge and valet especially. Nice bar/restaurant area - had a great meal one night - try the fish and chips washed down with Brooklyn lager! Some people don't like the location as you have to travel to get to Manhattan but we thought it was excellent - close to the upmarket area of Brooklyn Heights with good restaurants (try Grand Canyon Diner for breakfast and Pete's Downtown for nice Italian), half hour walk over Brooklyn Bridge to South Street Seaport, few hundred yards to subway stations which get you to most places on Manhattan (used subway a couple of times - only 15 minutes and $2 to Maddison Square Garden or Central Park South - no problems) plus the hotel is the first stop on the open top bus tour loop of Brooklyn which finishes at South Street from where you can pick up the downtown Manhattan loop - book tickets with the concierge. Hotel was excellent value compared with similar standard Manhattan hotels. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank FrizzlysFamily
Write a ReviewReviews (2,085)

Reviewed January 17, 2008

Needed to travel to Blkyn for a 50th wedding anniversary party for my mom's brother. Mom is very heavy and uses an extra wide w/c.
We were offered the senior citizen rate of $169 per night for both rooms. The h/c room, reserved at the last minute only had a king...I could have gotten a roll away (which I actually saw and for a change it looked quite comfortable) but got an adjoining room for myself and Mom's aide. Each room had a small fridge but no microwave. The shower in Mom's room was great, a large fold down seat and sturdy bars...

Rooms were spectacularly clean with luxury bedding and more pillows than I'd ever seen! The staff were not only professional but warm, helpful and friendly. All set up for business with plenty of plugs and internet access.

I made it to Broadway in 20 minutes on an express train on Saturday morning! I's only two stops until you reach Manhattan! There were two different lines quite close to the hotel; the A C and the 1 2 3....about 35 minutes to the Museum of Natural History. The area around the hotel seemed quite safe, I went to a drug store at 2 am for some necessary items. My past experience in Manhattan was that there was a lot of hustle and bustle at the hotels and the rooms were tiny, lobbies almost non existent in some. I think it's a wonderful value to have so much space both in the room and nice places in the lobby to relax and be so close to everything. I went to college nearby at LIU about 20 years ago and the area has certainly changed for the better!

When I stayed in NJ just walking distance to the bridge if I took a cab it was $18 just to get over the bridge! I took a cab from the Upper West Side back to the door of my hotel for $22...no fees for going over the bridge.

The restaurant was pricey but nice fresh eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast ...Junior's Cheesecake was close by!

The only problems were with the garage...the elevator near the h/c parking spaces sis not operate on the week ends but we didn't find that out till we were actually inside calling for assistance! The desk clerk was very sympathetic to our complaint, comped us all breakfast and promised to look into it. The next day we found after pulling up to a particular exit from the garage that the cashier did not have the equipment to process our parking ticket. Two other cars had to back out so that I could do a five point turn with the mini van and go to the Adams Street exit. The hotel manager promised to review the situation and I trust that he will. The garage is not owned/operated by the hotel but these kinks should be ironed out.

Stayed: January 2008
3  Thank bratface
Reviewed January 17, 2008

We have just returned from a break in New York and we stayed for 5 nights at the Marriott Brooklyn and we really enjoyed it. The staff were very professional and friendly especially the concierge 'Guiani; I think who gave us all the information but did not force us to buy tickets etc from him which was great.

The room was very spacious and the bed was just fantastic -so comfy. We ate breakfast twice and it was good.$16.00 for continental buffet with a larger choice if you wanted hot items. They also servce Star Bucks Coffee in the bar in the mornings if you just want a to go coffee. We ate in the bar twice, they serve bar food until 12 midnight which was great after a days shopping if you did not want to go back out for food.

Overall we really enjoyed it, the hotel is only 2 subway stops from Wall Street or a 30 minute walk over the Brooklyn Bridge!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank lovedup-kerry
Reviewed January 14, 2008

This hotel is located near the courthouses the entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge. Subway access to Manhattan is a few blocks away and there are many nice neighborhoods within walking distance. Fulton St mall is just around the corner, but is best seen during the day. The hotel staff was both pleasant and helpful. The room was comfortable and well appointed. It still irks me to pay extra for internet access, but that's how it is in full service hotels.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RoadWarriorBluffton
Reviewed January 12, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for two nights from Dec, 31st 2007 until Jan, 2nd 2008.
The hall was really nice and there was a nice smell all the time- like some sort of candle or something.
Check in was easy and quick. They gave me two queen size beds although a king size was guaranteed- but I didn't really care about that. (just an observation).
One thing I found a bit strange is, that they wanted to look into my bag before they would let me check-in.. Probably that was because of New Year's Eve?!

The room was clean and spacious, but: my room was on the ninth floor and facing a big street and hence pretty loud. I could also hear people talking in the room next to me. I went to the reception and they gave me a room on the 22nd floor which was quiet, but the fan in the bathroom was running and couldn't be switched off, so I decided to stay in my room on the 9th floor, although they told me that I could change rooms the next morning, because they were 'kind of' sold out.
I decided not to change rooms, because actually I was too lazy and I was there for only two nights. After the second night I woke up at about 8.30 a.m. hearing doors slamming, people talking and AGAIN the noises from the street.

Another thing I have to mention (someone mentioned it before as well): the pillows: they weren't very comportable... they were to high and at some point I just slept on the mattress without a pillow. The mattress was- unfortunately- not as comfortable as it should be... I am very thin, but when I got up in the morning you could see where exactly I was lying and I guess you can imagine that it wasn't very comfortable during the night either.

I was surprised that they don't offer free internet. You obviously have to pay for the internet in the room, you also had to pay, I think, $3 or 5 to use the internet in the Business Lounge for 15 minutes. There are just 3 computers in there and it was occupied everytime I went by. I guess for $199 and more per night I can assume that there is free internet available.

But the good points: the hotel was just one block away from some subway stations and with an express train it just takes about 5 minutes to Wall Street- Financial disctrict- and 15 minutes to midtown- Times Square.
Everybody in the hotel was very nice and tried to help as much as possible.

About 2 minutes awaw from the hotel you have a Burger King and a Wendy's and about 5 minutes there is a drug store.

Unfortunately I had no chance to get that great look over Manhattan. They tell you on the homepage that you have a great view from the Concierge Lounge, but the Concierge Lounge is only for (as far as I remember) for platinum marriott members. Instead I walked to the Brooklyn Bridge and to Manhattan- which just takes about 25 Minutes- if you aren't taking pictures like crazy like I was ; )

To sum it up: the location was good, the room clean, spacious and the staff was friendly and helpful. If you are more or less just sleeping there and sleeping not longer than 8.am or 8.30 am and have a deep slepp I can definately recommend it ; )

• Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank knuffivienna
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Arrived from Ireland very tired on 26th Dec. Lovely warm cosy rooms, very spacious, my daughter said it was the most comfortable bed she had ever slept in. Had breakfast every morning in a diner about 100yds away, very tasty and set us up for the day.
Staff were very helpful and friendly, we had a problem with noisy neighbours partying one night and I called reception and the matter was dealt with immediately.
Thoroughly enjoyed our four day stay and would return here again. It was lovely to stay in Brooklyn, beautiful place, so much prettier than Manhatten yet only 10 mins away. Make sure you walk the Brooklyn Bridge

2  Thank shamrock_8
Reviewed January 2, 2008

The ceiling art in the lobby was beautiful. The staff was very courteous and we were taken to our room quickly. We had a corner room which was spacious and nicely decorated. Bed was comfortable and the room was quiet despite being above the street. There were decent views of the bridge. It is a short walk to Montague St. which has lots of restaurants from which to choose. Definately a great place to stay.

Stayed: October 2007