“Certainly not exciting. But a good location and a lot nearby” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge

New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Brooklyn
Canada
“Certainly not exciting. But a good location and a lot nearby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

NYC is full of boutique-y hotels with no space and lots of details to try to make you forget how much you wish you couldn't hear your neighbours. And it's full of lovely landmarks that are used as metaphors, they're so well known.

This is neither. It's a nice chain hotel. It's not even in Manhattan.

That said, it's in a great location despite; the subway is right there, and so is the Brooklyn offshoot of the TKTS booth; the one in Brooklyn has no lines. Nearby are great places to get a bagel for breakfast, good local sushi, fun people watching, great views of Lower Manhattan, and classic old brownstones. Or, you can walk across the Bridge (which is surprisingly fun; it reminded me of the first time I did so, back when I was a kid), and you get dropped off near City Hall, which was beautiful with the gaslights when we were there last November.

The hotel was cheap (by crazy NYC standards!) when we stayed there, but it looks less so now, unfortunately. We didn't eat meals there (the main restaurant's menu looked so generic I coulda sworn I was in Indianapolis!), but it was perfectly comfortable, and our room (which I don't think had a view of anything) was quite large, again by Manhattan standards.

Basically, you wouldn't know you were in NYC inside this hotel, and perhaps that's the point. (I've stayed at the Marriott in Heidelberg, Germany, and had the same sense.)

One downside: it's kind of a pain to get to Newark Airport from here: none of the standard airport shuttles go to Brooklyn. You can take the subway to Times Square (I think?) and then catch the bus, or the hotel will arrange a quite pricey car service. I presume that getting to LGA would be much easier.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

Our family and grandma spent a Saturday night here while visiting New York City area. Location was perfect for us since we wanted to see the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir the next morning. Room was larger than we had expected and very comfy. Only disappointment was that we had repeatedly asked for a room with a view since it was our first visit to the city; we found out that with five of us (and therefore a cot) we could only have the third floor. Wish we would have been told this upfront, especially after phoning a couple times ahead. Would recommend for others just needing a good night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bestillfamily
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Stayed here one night in July to pick up a student from NYU Poly at Metrotech. Fabulous location - super easy to get to over Brooklyn Bridge (we had actually parked in their lot twice before because the location is so convenient)! Easy walk to Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn Promenade, a zillion places to eat (we're worried about the reviewer who didn't make it over there - it's a 5 minute walk). Staff very friendly and accommodating - held our bags because we had to arrive early and called to let us know room was ready. Room was clean, relatively spacious. We had two adults in one double and adult child in other double. Rate was OK because DH eligible for Sr. Citizen discount; otherwise pretty steep. Ate breakfast in The Archives on Lobby level. Delicious (but oversized portions - took some home) and staff super attentive. You could easily eat in other places nearby (Starbux, Au Bon Pain, Cafe Metro). Definitely walk over to Promenade after dinner for awesome view of lower Manhattan and houses on Columbia Heights.
One caution - Internet is $15/day. Didn't notice that on their web site.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Port Coquitlam, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Location: Closed to restaurants and the Brooklyn Bridge.

Cleanliness: Good

Staff: All the front desk staff I dealt with are extremely helpful and friendly. Concierge gave detail info for my trip planning and helped arranging my car service. He also making sure I do not over pay on my trips.

Room: Spacious. Bed and pillows are so comfortable. Extra sunbed in my room. I stayed at a Queen Room on the 23rd floor or the South Tower. Lovely view of the city. Bathroom fan was not able to turn off and making loud noises. Also my room was next to the service room and someone left few big garbage bins right next to my door with very unpleasant odor. I complained to the front desk and the issues were dealt with efficiently.
Restaurant: Buffet was pretty good. $29/person including gratitude. Waiters were very attentive. Good restaurant services.

My friends were assigned to the North Tower. Apparently the rooms in the South Tower are much nicer. Marble counters and more modern decoration in the rooms. There are more cabinet spaces as well.

Nice hotel and it had provided what I am expected. I will go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for the South Tower rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank casper888
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

I stayed here while at a university conference in Brooklyn. The rooms were nice and spacious. The location was not great, though. It didn't look like the safest area. There were some restaurants nearby. We found a good Chinese place, but I don't know if I would recommend walking around the neighborhood at night. We didn't experience any problems, though. It's very close to a subway station and right across the water from Manhatten so it only takes 5-10 minutes to get into Manhatten. It would be a good option if you're looking for a better quality hotel for the same price you'd pay for something lessor in Manhatten. Although I questioned the safety of the area at night, there were tons of people out during the day, so I doubt it would pose any problems in daylight.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

This is a wonderful and new Marriott. My room was very clean throughout my stay. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable, from the front desk to the doorman; they could give wonderful recommendations and easy to follow directions. I have stayed in many Marriott's before and if any Marriott Rewards Member could find a better Concierge lounge than this one I would truly be amazed. If you are staying in the New York City area for whatever reason this is a wonderful place to call home while you're in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Santo224
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights. We found no restuarants or attractions within a short walk, and took the subway everywhere we went. It is a short subway ride back into Manhatten. This is clearly the newest and nicest hotel in Brooklyn. The front desk staff and housekeeping staff were outstanding. We wished we were in an area of Brooklyn that had more of a neighborhood feel, but the good restaurants and bars seemed to us to be spread all over town. This is the safest feeling area of town we were in.

I would have rated the property a 5 if it was within walking distance to some of our favorite Brooklyn neighborhoods.

By the way we rode the subway to see Coney Island. The beach there is beutiful but I would never take my family to the amusement park. From the outside looking in it was crowded and appeared to be an unsophisticated crowd (this is as delicate as I can phrase it).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SIMarriott, General Manager at New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I was disappointed to learn that you did not discover Montague Street, Smith Street and Atlantic Avenue during your visit. All are in walking distance and have some wonderful antique shops, restaurants, cafes and boutiques. On your next trip (which I hope will be soon), you can reach out to me or my office directly for some wonderful recommendations. Thank you again for the feedback! Sam Ibrahim, General Manager