“Very good food, tuned to Western mouth capabilities and pleasant atmosphere.”

Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant
Ranked #375 of 5,416 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Indian
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very good food, tuned to Western mouth capabilities and pleasant atmosphere.”
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We went there three adults and a 3 years old for a dinner. As favourites of Indian cuisine, also with experience in India itself, we are always keen on these restaurants. Taj is a restaurant rather than Indian eatery. It gives importance to atmosphere and serving.
We started with complementary papadam and chutney. They were very good, HaVing the papadam tangy but not filled with black pepper.
We ordered veg biryani, bhindi and of course malai kufta which is our favourite dish. Almost every indian restaurant has it, but it is made very different. The sauce of this one was good and delecate, while the kufta itself had a bit dull taste comparing to the richness found in other variations. The other dishes were comparably good, meaning - very good level but missing the wow to get the necessary wow for the excellent.
The desert - kulfi - an ice cream Indian style was very good, and it was accompanied by complementary rice puddings, which were nice.
The disappointing point was that the spiced indian tea was only water with chai extract, and cold milk on the side. This is not more than a chai aboard an Indian train, yet every chai wala in the streets of India will make a better tea...
But overall we enjoyed it very much and as i titled it, western folks wont run away due to too much spice that is usually catered in Indian restaurants,despite it is how it should be.

NYC
“Delicious Indian Food in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Visited with family friends, including 2 children & 2 teens. The restaurant was very hospitable, including to the children. The tables are set with linen table cloths and napkins. There is lovely Indian decor and music (which I like as it sets the tone of the experience.) We started with mimosas (fried dough with vegetable or lamb - we had both. There are 2 per order. They are very tasty and served with 3 different, spicy sauces. For entrees we had chicken teka, lamb teka, and a fancy rice with chicken mixture (like Indian fried rice.) The teka dishes were served with delicate jasmine rice. We asked for mild spice, which was pleasant and not too hot. It was a lovely and delicious dinner.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank DrKatieRN
Brooklyn, New York
“Consistently Outstanding!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

You will experience an ambience (decor, music, and customer service) that is coupled with deliciously tasteful food to leave you well satisfied. They make it difficult for my wife and I to eat Indian food elsewhere. Their prices are very reasonable as well.

Brooklyn, New York
“What a GEM”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband has been living in Bay-ridge for over 7 years, and has never eaten at this restaurant until June-2012. I randomly said I want to try Indian food and I did my google research and this restaurant popped up. We've had a lot of food trouble in Bay-ridge so we were surprised to see the great reviews of this restaurant. We travel to Park Slope or Carroll Gardens for dinner most weekend nights, however, this is our new spot for sure!

Our first time there I at the vegetable curry because I don't like too much meat, and it was insanely good. We went there the following weekend BOTH Saturday and Sunday night, and I ate the Okra & tomato dish and then the chana masala (chickpea dish)...BOTH INCREDIBLE.

Not only is the food spectacular and fresh, but the service is so attentive. I drink so much water and never once was my glass empty. They're always checking on you and making sure everything is okay, but know when to give you your space, too.

Great place, great indian food, great service, great prices, and great atmosphere. Plus, it's 3 blocks away! This is our new spot in Bay-ridge.... surprisingly it's so good considering we've tried so many other restaurants CLOSE-BY that have been pretty yucky.

Very happy to find this one. Going to take my family there within the next few weeks. YUM!

• Visited June 2012
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I'm a bit disappointed here. The flavors were not as multidimensional as I was hoping. There achar is good, as well as...”
Reviewed December 21, 2008

I'm a bit disappointed here. The flavors were not as multidimensional as I was hoping. There achar is good, as well as their breads. I need to try it a few more times to be sure.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook