“BBQ and Stuff”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Have been there like 10 times in last 3 years. The BBQ is dependably good, especially the beef ribs and the brisket. The sides are really excellent, and I'm particularly loving the baked beans, mac and cheese, coleslaw and potato salad. The food arrives within a minute or two of when you order, so show up hungry. Food prices are really great for NYC.

3  Thank Mark E
There are newer reviews for The Smoke Joint

Reviewed December 15, 2013

An informal place with table close together (a bit cramped) with the usual bar-b-que menu. We had brisket, st. louis ribs, greens, mac-n-cheese at this trip. The ribs were very firm and both meats were too dry. The houses sauces are ok but nothing special. The greens were great, we liked the beans in past visits, the mac was boring and dry. We definitely preferred the beef ribs to the St. Louis (sparerib cut). Beer choices pretty good. Bourbon choices very good but very pricey.
Ok casual place to eat before BAM or Barclay's.

1  Thank PelleasPhiladelphia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This place was featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives a while back and based on that segment I was expecting to be blown away by the food. The food was good, but did not live up to my expectations. We split a half slab of the spare ribs, the beef ribs and sides of mac-n-cheese, greens and baked beans. The spare ribs were a bit dry, the beef ribs were very tender and meaty and the sides were excellent (the baked beans were the best). The place is tiny and has a honky-tonk vibe. The service was attentive and friendly and the food came out very quickly. Best of all, it is only a couple of blocks from the Barclays Center so you can get your quick BBQ fix before the game. Beware - it's cash only!

1  Thank AHRESQ
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had been dreaming about this place since I saw it on DDD and was immediately included it in our list of places to visit. After 7 days in NY, and convincing my vegetarian wife to accompany me, I can definitely say it was the worst culinary experience of our week.

Negatives:
My Short Ribs were burnt to a crisp.
Mac & Cheese had no flavor, dry and burnt.
Service could have been a lot better and included some attitude.

Positives:
The wings were very good and probably the only takeaway from our experience.

With so many options in NY it was definitely a waste of time and money...

3  Thank Mark C
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Disappointed.
The only reason I went to The Smoke Joint was because I saw Guy visit in on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on the Food Network. Unfortunately, the food that I received was not the same as the food showcased in the show.
I specifically went there for the Beef Short Ribs and was highly unsatisfied. My ribs were burnt underneath and on the sides to a crisp which gave them a bitter flavor. For $17 an order, they should be better presented.
The Mac'n'Cheese was not seasoned and definitely did not taste like the waitress hyped it up to be.
The chicken wings were really good though. Smoky flavor with the BBQ sauce. Coleslaw was also pretty good but standard for a BBQ joint. Corn on the cob was OK. The Mexican lady on the corner of Roosevelt Ave and 103rd st in Queens does a mean Mexican Corn almost the same for a couple bucks.
For the plus $70.00 I spent there, I expected better food..
Those ribs should definitely not cost $17 an order.
But.. that's just my experience.

2  Thank Slav1983