“A great bakery with room to hang out”
Review of Baked

Baked
Ranked #16 of 216 Bakeries in Brooklyn
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Baked is a classic American bakery and cafe based in the neighborly environs of Red Hook, Brooklyn. Our bakery specializes in all manner of Americana baking. We create a vast array of cakes, pies, tarts, muffins, scones, bars and brownies. Baked is both a neighborhood spot and a nationally recognized bakery. Baked has been featured on Martha Stewart Show, the Today Show, the Food Network, Cooking Channel, and the Style Network. Baked has also received awards from Time Out, French Culinary Institute and America's Test Kitchen. Oprah recognized their brownies as a "favorite thing" and they have written recipes for Food and Wine, Bon Appetit and many more. Baked was co-founded by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.
New York City, New York
“A great bakery with room to hang out”
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Small bakery with a few booths. A terrific neighborhood hang-out.The baked goods are to die for.

Visited November 2011

San Francisco, CA
“Pretty Darn Good”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I visited New York in October 2011 and was dying to go to Baked. I own both of their cookbooks (and love them) and am a big fan of baking and pastries in general so my expectations were high. I went to the shop with a friend of mine who is also a baking enthusiast and we ordered a whole bunch of things to try. Here's the rundown on the location, service and (of course!), the food:

LOCATION - We walked there from the subway station (probably about 1.5 miles) and the route we took was a little...suspect. There were some rather seedy looking individuals/neighborhood establishments as we got a bit closer but as soon as we turned the road onto the main street where Baked is located (Van Brunt Street), things looked fine again. We took the 'long' way back to the station and that was a better choice in terms of feeling a bit safer. If you can drive there or take a cab or bus, just do that.

SERVICE - There were two young women waiting on people and at least one of them seemed a bit put out that people had the nerve to ask her to help them ;o). She wasn't totally overtly rude but she definitely wasn't very friendly. And she didn't bother to ask me whether I planned to eat there or take my things to go, she just automatically wrapped them up. I was a little irritated at her off putting demeanor, particularly because I was so excited to be there and her peevishness was putting a dent in my excitement balloon. :o)

FOOD - Now for the important part. Here's what we tried and my grade for each item ("A" being the highest marks, "F" being the lowest). And before you judge my glaring gluttony, remember that I was only in town for a brief time and might not be able to return - hence why I ate a bunch of things ;o):

Peanut Butter Brownie: B - It was very dense and pretty moist, with a distinct peanut buttery flavor. There wasn't enough mingling of the chocolate and peanut butter flavors to my taste but it was still really good.

Red Velvet Cupcake: C - I am not a particular fan of red velvet but this was good, albeit average. Actually, I thought the frosting was better than the cake.

Bourbon Pecan Bar: A - This was fantastic and I seriously wanted to devour the thing in one bite. You could definitely taste the Bourbon but it wasn't so overwhelming that it drowned out the other flavors. The bourbon pecan filling seemed to be atop a tart like base, which was sweet, crumbly and good!

Malted Ball Cake: A - This was heaven! The cake itself was light, fluffy, but very flavorful and kind of buttery tasting. The malted icing was also great - chocolaty but without being too deeply chocolate and still with enough sweetness to balance it out. The actual piece of cake we were served was absolutely enormous, we couldn't even finish it. Great value for the price.

Pistachio Cupcake: B - This gets a B mostly for the buttercream, which was outstanding. It managed to impart the flavor of pistachio without being too overhwhelming and wasn't too sweet, which I always appreciate. The buttercream was topped with some pistachio crumbles and the cake itself had pistachio's baked in. I wold guess it was a simple vanilla cake with pistachios added. It was not as moist as I wold have expected but it was good and a nice backdrop for the pistachio buttercream.

Banana Whoopie Pie: D - I actually only took two bites of this; it was a bit disappointing. The whoopie pie itself was rather dry and frankly kind of tasteless. It was filled with a chocolate icing (maybe the icing from the malted cake??), which was good but the pie itself was completely lost in the taste. When I bit into it, all I could taste was the icing and then dryness. I wouldn't recommend it.

While there were some hits and misses, overall the things that were good far maybe up for the items that weren't so good. I would definitely go back again and would highly recommend a visit if you are in the area! Happy Eating!

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank bnj2377
“Yummy!”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

It's a very nice bakery. I highly recommend that u get the brownies there. The peanutbutter bars are amazing! I even bought their cookbook! I was very pleased.

1 Thank brooklynpunkchick
on my feet
“the coffee is good, nice scene”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

the wooden benches, the hipster music playing, the prodigious use of apple products by its customers. . .baked is a lifestyle joint, with underemployed counterpeople, serving massive jolts of caffeine to ben sherman wearing refugees from the les. . .the squares and the whoopie pies are average to mediocre, the cake on the pies being dry and not saved by a decent cream filling. come for the scene and to be seen, have a half decent shot, and move on. . .

• Visited August 2011
New York City, New York
“Very good cupcakes in Brooklyn”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Been here a few times and it is great. Sweet and salty cupcakes are amazing. While others were good these were the best. Didn't have it this time but their hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows also excellent. Pecan tarts were good. Bought a cake two times, first time I thought it was a little heavy on the frosting. Second cake perfect. This place blows away the heavy drecky cupcakes from Crumbs.

• Visited May 2011