“Good food, lovely garden.”
Review of Brooklyn Southern - CLOSED

Brooklyn Southern
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went here a few days ago for lunch, and as always, we really enjoyed it. I especially like sitting in their lovely backyard garden, even though the inside is cute and cozy.

We had the shrimp and oysters, with hush puppies and cole slaw. We're both from the south, and thought everything was very good. Tasted even better sitting outside under the trees, with the background sound of birds chirping.

I'm writing this partially for selfish reasons. I want this place to do well, so I can keep coming back, but it seems not to be as well known as it should be. Of course I won't be pleased if it gets too popular, as I like being able to just walk in and get a table!

By the way, you should ignore the review below titled “awful experience at korhogo126”. It is an old review that refers to the restaurant that formerly occupied the space. I flagged it for removal with Tripadvisor, but for some reason they haven't done anything about it. Odd.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Brooklyn Southern proved to be quite a delight. Food was outstanding, southern cooking at its best. the Gumbo, fired oysters and chicken were awesome. Portions were good size. Desserts were made on site and could not have been fresher. Patio at back of restaurant was very pleasant and comfortable for family settings. Over all highly recommend for a family dining out event.

Reviewed March 25, 2008

My chef husband and I had an awful experience at korhogo126 last night during restaurant week. The service was harried and slow, considering there were only two other tables in the restaurant when we got there this was unacceptable. At a restaurant of this caliber I do not expect the server to come and check to make sure the order was right two other times after writing it down as she took it. Our food came out severely overcooked, Escargot and Lamb for him, Calamari and Salmon (Well done not Mid-Rare as ordered) for me; except for the “rice ball” which was still frozen in the middle. A real mish-mosh of flavors. The best parts of the dishes were the vegetables, even my garbanzo beans, that were clearly Goya out of a can, were better then dessert. To add insult we waited an extremely long time for our check, finally we got up and waited by the door to hurry the waitress along. All in all I find restaurant week a poor example for most places, although I feel they should really make an effort to capture a wider range of fans during this time, we will not be back.