“Wow.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zenkichi

Zenkichi
Reserve with OpenTable
Zenkichi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #123 of 5,292 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Berry Street and Wythe Avenue
Transit: 3 blocks from the L Train Bedford Avenue Station.
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Wow.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

I figured that this dining experience was going to be incredible, but this restaurant completely surpassed my expectations. My husband and I were blown away by how private our booth was and how friendly and helpful the staff members were.

We ordered the eight-course meal and I'm so glad we did because every single dish was BEAUTIFUL and DELICIOUS. The course was so well-paced and the sake carafe was certainly worth ordering. I can't say enough about how special the staff made our dinner; they even helped us celebrate our wedding with a special additional dessert plate, which was very much appreciated.

Zenkichi is hands down one of the best restaurants in which we've ever dined. We hope we can return sooner than soon! :)

• Visited January 2014

New York
“Slice of japan in NY ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I love Zenkichi. We have been coming here for at least 2 years. Maybe longer.

Drinks: I have to start with the sake because it's 4 pages of the menu. I LOVE their sake. Never had a bad one. Please don't order hot sake. Just try a cold one. They have one to suit any taste.

Food: I do keep going back for more. In the early years, I would leave a bit hungry but that's been resolved. I still loved the food but this last time there were some minor details missing. Like the tempura did not come with salt (I crave that salt). The Japanese charm was missing. I guess a bunch of people complained that it took long. Those people should not come to this restaurant. I used to love the slow pace. Now the food came out in doubles. I really didn't like that. I like to focus on one food at a time and savor each taste. Please go back to the old way and ignore anyone who wants fast food. At least consider those of us who prefer a few hours to enjoy ourselves.
As far as the food goes, it's great. Sometimes i think I won't like a certain dish but then I decide to try it and it's as if the chef just knows how to please!!!

Service: always polite, never intruding. Love the servers.

Brooklyn, New York
“Best Japanese food ever”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife bring me here for my birthday and it was the best place to be! It is very private and the food is unbelievable good one of my best birthday ever:)

Boston, Massachusetts
“If you love Japanese food, this is the place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

As my son lives in Williamsburg, we never visit without stopping into Zenkichi for a great meal! The atmosphere is interesting as it's very dark, maze like, and all the private booths have blinds! The service is excellent and the waiter will help you in your selections. The Sake Tasting menu is great and the food is excellent: Cold Fresh Tofu, Sashimi, Saikyo Miso Cod, Tamago Tofu Shrimp Ankake, Wasabi Octopus, and many more excellent selections! We're heading back in December and I'm sure Zenkichi will be one of our destinations.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Berlin, Germany
“I forgot I was in New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had heard about Zenkichi from many friends and on my last visit two weeks ago I finally got a chance to experience this for myself. I have been to Tokyo before and was guided by a local, since returning from that trip I have been consistently disappointed by western interpretations of Japanese cuisine as well as the atmosphere offered. Zenkichi almost immediately upon entering transported me to my visit to Tokyo, without much pomp and circumstance (of coarse, this is not what this culture is known for) with the simple greetings of the manager at the door and the cordial escort to my private booth. The space is serene yet incredibly lively and warm, the service was impeccable and in true Japanese fashion the meal tells a story, every ingredient has a purpose and an order, every dish compliments it's predecessor and prepares the palette for the next. The Sake selection by my waiter matched the food perfectly... this was much more then just a meal, it was a journey.

• Visited October 2013